Position: Hygiene Promotion Officer (Maternity Leave Cover)
Location: Gaziantep, Turkey
Department: Program - WASH
Start Date: ASAP
Global Communities’ Office of Humanitarian Assistance (OHA) has developed a strategy for the organization’s response to the Syria crisis, anchored in a field presence. Specifically, OHA is responding directly to Syria, intensifying GC’s assistance to Syrian IDPs. This will be done through an approach to programming where projects will be focused on sustainability rather than relief delivery.
GC is a fully registered organization in Turkey and is currently building its humanitarian response professionals in Turkey. GC intends to hire a full-time Hygiene Promotion Officer to support the Global Communities Program Department team while based in Gaziantep through humanitarian assistance programming.
The Hygiene Promotion Officer will be based in Gaziantep and will report to the WASH Coordinator, remotely leading a team of around 60 between staff and incentive workers.
The Hygiene Promotion Officer will cover the maternity leave for another HP Officer for four months and will support the WASH Coordinator in the overall implementation of the WASH portfolio that focuses on increasing access to safe water, sanitation services/facilities, and proper hygiene conditions and practices for the IDPs and host communities in Northern Syria, in particular in Atmeh Camp.
He/She will be responsible for developing procedures for the implementation of the Hygiene Promotion program in accordance with Global Communities’ principles and promoting cordial working relationships with partners, communities, and other stakeholders. He/she will be required to facilitate and coordinate the overall management of the Hygiene Promotion component including planning, implementation, monitoring, and evaluation of high quality, innovative projects.
- Provide timely sectoral analysis, input, support, and collaboration for effective program planning, readjustment, and management,
- Formulate, implement and monitor work plans and activities, ensuring alignment with defined program approaches and objectives, and maintaining a focus on gender/sex disaggregation of relevant indicators,
- In close coordination with the M&E team, design, plan and manage assessments, and analysis for results,
- Participate actively and/or write technical reports and proposals to donors for WASH program Donor reports (monthly, quarterly and final reports), rigorously, and transparently in compliance with established guidelines and procedures,
- Design appropriate IDP camp-based activities based on observed risk practices, in support of proper use of WASH facilities, including gender and cultural considerations,
- Support the Hygiene Promotion Assistants to run camp-based Hygiene Promotion activities,
- Design IEC material for all Hygiene Promotion activities in Syria,
- Ensure community participatory approaches in project design, implementation, and monitoring,
- Ensure that communities and community leaders are involved and informed about the activities and coordinate in the field with relevant partners,
- Ensure coordination with other actors working in the area to identify gaps and avoid overlapping of response,
- Support in the identification of needs for WASH items relevant to hygiene in camps and supervise the procurement of items, targeting strategy, distribution, promotion of effective use, and post-distribution monitoring,
- Coordinate with Water and Sanitation Officers to ensure that the hardware and software aspects of the WASH response are integrated and work together to reduce WASH-related risks,
- Supervise and train Hygiene Promoters in the camp,
- Regularly monitor and report on project activities using project management and monitoring tools,
- Support the project manager by providing assistance in all aspects of project cycle management – design, implementation, Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning,
- Ensure quality and integrity of implementation, including adherence to technical guidelines, administrative systems, and established deadlines,
- Support in facilitating agency and donor monitoring visits,
- Pro-actively work to prevent fraud or corruption by ensuring adherence to Global Communities guidelines on fraud prevention with relevant line managers,
- Participate and represent the organization in WASH coordination meetings as requested by the Program Manager,
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Global Communities’ and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission,
- Other relevant tasks as required.
Education and Training:
- A Bachelor’s degree in development, social Science, Health or other relevant courses,
- A Master’s degree in a relevant field or a combination of education and experience related to this position is an advantage.
Experience and Technical Skills:
- At least three years of relevant experience, with at least 2 years working for NGOs,
- Prior experience working with international donor-funded projects,
- Extensive knowledge of the political and humanitarian situation in the area,
- Demonstrated experience in hygiene promotion and behavioral change activities under emergency programs,
- Good expertise with water and sanitation systems, sanitation facilities,
- Good organizational and project management skills,
- High analytical and reporting skills,
- Very good written and verbal English and Arabic skills,
- Excellent skills in Microsoft Office, knowledge of other programs an advantage,
- Ability to work independently under pressure,
- Good negotiation and problem-solving skills,
- Understanding of cross-cutting issues, such as gender, protection, youth, and environment,
- Must hold a valid passport,
- Must work well as a member of a team, with a willingness to travel throughout Northern Syria, sometimes staying overnight, as the job requires.
Due to the urgency of this position; the position is open only to candidates holding Turkish Nationality.
To apply please send your CV and Cover Letter no later than 3 August 2020. Please, make sure to put the Job Title and Vacancy Number in the subject section, otherwise, the application will not be considered. Applications in languages other than English will not be reviewed. Please be advised that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
We envision a world where everyone has the freedom, means and ability to live and prosper with dignity.
Our mission is to create long-lasting, positive and community-led change that improves the lives and livelihoods of vulnerable people across the globe.
About Global Communities
We don’t tell the community what to do, they tell us.
Global Communities is a global development organization committed to working in partnership with communities worldwide to bring about sustainable, impactful changes that improve the lives and livelihoods of the vulnerable.
Development is not something we do for people; it is something we do with them. We believe that the people who understand their needs best are the people of the community itself.
We make a difference by engaging with communities, governments, the private sector, and NGOs as partners for good—bringing together complementary strengths and shared responsibilities to work toward common goals.
Global Communities has existed for more than 60 years. Until 2012, we were known as CHF International and, before that, the Cooperative Housing Foundation. We are a non-profit organization.
What distinguishes our work?
The power of what we do lies in our ability to develop relationships that put the people of the community at the forefront of their own development. Enriched by the ability to build trust and understanding, it is our heartfelt focus on community and partnership that distinguishes our work.
Global Communities currently works in more than 20 countries around the world in Africa, Asia, Europe & the Caucasus, Latin America & the Caribbean and the Middle East.