Vacancy Notice Number:
Istanbul – Türkiye
6 months Special Short Term Graded Contract (50% - Part Time) (G4)- with possible extension
Deadline of Applications:
26 February 2024
Number of People to be hired
Internal & External
Under the overall supervision of the Head of Office in Istanbul and direct supervision of the Senior Project Assistant; and, in collaboration with relevant Units In Istanbul, the successful candidate will be responsible and accountable for providing interpretation services to IOM PDO Trainer, and to the beneficiaries assisted under the project,for pre-departure orientation session for Canada, Australia and EU countries . Also, to perform other related duties as assigned.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide Farsi-English/Farsi-English interpretation services to IOM Field Assistants in Edirne. Maintain a level of neutrality during the interpretation and avoid providing his/her personal inputs in delivering messages between the trainer and the refugee.
- Provide clerical support to IOM Trainers during the preparation.
- Provide ad hoc support for written Farsi - Turkish and English translations.
- Contribute to reporting and statistics as requested.
- Comply with the IOM Standards of Conduct and the IOM Confidentiality Agreement. Maintain a professional appearance and migrant-friendly demeanour at all times. Maintain positive working relationships within the IOM team and with government authorities. Maintain confidentiality and discretion in treating applicants’ personal information.
- Assist the process of referring the vulnerable migrants who has special needs.
- Immediately inform management of any problems or issues related to the daily work and make suggestions on how to improve efficiency and client service.
- Perform other such related duties as may be required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Political or Social Sciences, International Relations, Development Studies, Migration Studies, Human Rights, Law, Linguistics, or related fields from an accredited academic institution with two year of relevant professional experience.
- Completed High school diploma from an accredited academic institution with four years of relevant experience.
- Experience in liaising with governmental authorities, national/international institutions, United Nations agencies and non-governmental organizations.
- Experience in working with migrants, refugees, internally displaced persons, victims of trafficking and other vulnerable groups; and,
- Prior work experience with international humanitarian organizations, non-government or government institutions/organization in a multi-cultural setting is an advantage.
- In depth knowledge of the broad range of migration related subject areas dealt with by the Organization;
- Knowledge Implementing emergency/humanitarian projects; and,
- Microsoft Office Skills, for any necessary field reporting.
- Fluency in English and Farsi and Turkish is required.
- Working knowledge of Arabic, Urdu and French is advantageous.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity:
Respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency:
Maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
Demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioral indicators level 1
- Teamwork: Develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering Results: Produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: Continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: Takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: Encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
This is a local position and applications from candidates for non-Turkish citizens holding a valid residence permit residing in Türkiye might be considered.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application including the most recent CV with a cover letter in English with contact details (name, position, phone and e-mail details) of three references by indicating name of the position applied with its VN number in the subject line of the e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or to IOM Birlik Mahallesi Sehit Kurbani Akboga Sok. No:24 06610, Çankaya, Ankara Türkiye by the end of 26 February 2024.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
With 165 member states, a further 8 states holding observer status and offices in over 100 countries, IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM works to help ensure the orderly and humane management of migration, to promote international cooperation on migration issues, to assist in the search for practical solutions to migration problems and to provide humanitarian assistance to migrants in need, including refugees and internally displaced people.
The IOM Constitution recognizes the link between migration and economic, social and cultural development, as well as to the right of freedom of movement.
- Programme Assistant
- Programme Associate
- Interpreter (Arabic)
- Interpreter (Arabic)
- SSAFE Training Assistant
- Interpreter (Arabic)
- Interpreter (Farsi)
- Interpreter (Arabic) - İstanbul
- Operations Assistant (Field Support) - Airport
- Operations Assistant (Field Support) - Correspondence
- Operations Assistant (Field Support) – Ground Logistics