The incumbent will be based at the WHO CO in Ankara and work under supervision of Project Coordinator and in close collaboration with WHO Communication Officer and the WHO Representative in Turkey. He/she will work in close contact with all the members of the CO. The role of the incumbent is that of a specialist and an expert in translations both written and verbal from English to Turkish and vice versa. He/she is part of the CO team as well as relates to relevant technical units. Proactive role in seeking guidance from colleagues, searching and analysing evidence, and usage of WHO prepared guidelines is foreseen. Contacts within the organization:
• WHO and other staff in WHO Country Office: to share and receive knowledge/information, to harmonize implementation of work; • Relevant staff in in WHO/EURO’s Language Services Unit: to receive specific input in language usage and WHO terminology/expressions; Contacts outside the organization:
• Technical partners and stakeholders on the ground • Officials in the Ministry of Health and local authorities as appropriate • UN agencies within the UNCT
Under the direct supervision of National Operations Officer, the National UN Volunteer (Interpreter/ Translator) will undertake the following tasks: Ensuring efficient, timeliness and qualitative translation
• Review the documents to be translated. Translate Documents (English to Turkish; Turkish to English).
• Ensure efficient, timely and qualitative translation is conducted, the usage of proper terminology (English and Turkish based on the nature of documents), accuracy in language and structure is maintained, confidentiality of translated materials is respected.
• Proofread and edit final translated versions.
• Provide simultaneous/consecutive/whispered interpretation services during meetings and/or trainings organized by WHO on various topics.
• Ensure simultaneous translation (with translation booth, headset and necessary system/ equipment provided) at project related events and workshops.
• Perform terminology research to ensure the accuracy and appropriateness of all translations.
• Working closely with the Communications Officer, prepare translations of visibility products.
• Be responsible for ensuring quality and accuracy of the entire document before submission.
• Travels with WHO staff on their missions to the field for interpretation and other assistance, as needed.
• Responds to queries relating to the area of responsibility.
• Takes notes at meetings; takes and transcribes from dictation, recordings and handwritten drafts.
• Performs other duties as required.
Required education level: Bachelor degree or equivalent in Translation, Interpretation or equivalent from an accredited educational institution.
Languages: English, Level: Fluent, Required and Turkish, Level: Fluent, Required
Area(s) of expertise: Translation and interpretation
Nationality: Candidate must be a national or legal resident of the country of assignment.
Volunteer Living Allowance: 10550 TRY