Vacancy Notice Number:
Ayvalik – Turkey
3 months Special Short Term Graded Contract (G4)– with possible extension
Deadline of Applications:
25 June 2021
Number of People to be hired
Internal & External Candidates
Under the overall supervision of Emergency Coordinator and the supervision of the Head of Izmir Sub Office, the incumbent is responsible for the implementation and guiding the humanitarian aid to migrants and refugees apprehended at land by land forces.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide Arabic-Turkish/ Turkish-Arabic interpretation services to IOM social worker and TCG staff in Ayvalık. Maintain a level of neutrality during the interpretation and avoid providing his/her personal inputs in delivering messages between the interviewer and the refugee.
- Provide general administrative/ clerical support to IOM social worker and field assistant during the preparation.
- Provide ad hoc support for written Arabic-Turkish-Arabic translations.
- Assist in the Turkish Coast Guard or gendermarie premises for refugees and migrants apprehended in Ayvalık when need be.
- Provide general information and answer basic queries on the procedures to the refugees.
- Contribute to reporting and statistics as requested.
- Comply with the IOM Standards of Conduct and the IOM Confidentiality Agreement. Maintain a professional appearance and migrant-friendly demeanour at all times. Maintain positive working relationships within the IOM team and with government authorities. Maintain confidentiality and discretion in treating applicants’ personal information.
- Immediately inform management of any problems or issues related to the daily work and make suggestions on how to improve efficiency and client service.
- Perform other such related duties as may be required.
- High school diploma from an accredited academic institution, with four years of relevant experience; or, Bachelor’s degree in Social Sciences, or related fields from an accredited academic institution, with two years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience in working with migrants, refugees, internally displaced persons, victims of trafficking and other vulnerable groups; and,
- Prior work experience with international humanitarian organizations, non-government or government institutions/organization in a multi-cultural setting is an advantage.
- Having experience in relevant field as interpreter
- Being able to travel,
- Proven analytical, interpersonal and organizational skills,
- Good level of computer literacy.
- Experience in liaising with governmental authorities, other national / international institutions
- Fluency in Arabic and Turkish is required.
- Working knowledge of English and French is advantageous.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity:
Shows respect and sensitivity towards gender, culture, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, political conviction and other differences.
- Integrity and transparency:
Upholds and promotes the Standards of Conduct and Unified Staff Regulations and Rules.
• Delivers on commitments; manages the organization’s resources reliably and sustainably.
• Embraces and encourages transparency, balancing this with the need for discretion and confidentiality as appropriate.
Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter and willingness to improve knowledge and skills.
• Shows self-control and persistence when faced with difficult problems and remains calm in stressful situations.
• Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1
- Teamwork: Establishes strong relationships with colleagues and partners; relates well to people at all levels.
• Is fully aware of the team purpose, respects and understands individual and collective responsibilities.
• Willingly puts in extra effort without being asked and adopts a "hands-on" approach whenever necessary to achieve team objectives.
• Coordinates own work with that of the team to meet agreed priorities and deadlines.
- Delivering Results:
•Produces quality results and provides quality services to clients.
• Meets goals and timelines for delivery of products or services.
• Shows understanding of own role and responsibilities in relation to expected results.
- Managing and sharing knowledge:
• Shares knowledge and learning willingly, and proactively seeks to learn from the experiences of others.
•Accepts personal responsibility for quality and timeliness of work.
• Operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules.
• Accepts and gives constructive criticism; acknowledges and corrects mistakes and apply lessons learned for improvement.
- Presents information using language and sequence of ideas that is easy for recipients to understand.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
Please be advised that this is a local position and as such only applications from candidates with a valid residence / working permit residing in Turkey will be considered.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application including the most recent CV with a cover letter in English with contact details (name, position, phone and e-mail details) of three references by indicating name of the position applied with its VN number in the subject line of the e-mail or to IOM Birlik Mahallesi Sehit Kurbani Akboga Sok. No:24 06610, Çankaya, Ankara Turkey by the end of 25 June 2021.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
With 165 member states, a further 8 states holding observer status and offices in over 100 countries, IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM works to help ensure the orderly and humane management of migration, to promote international cooperation on migration issues, to assist in the search for practical solutions to migration problems and to provide humanitarian assistance to migrants in need, including refugees and internally displaced people.
The IOM Constitution recognizes the link between migration and economic, social and cultural development, as well as to the right of freedom of movement.