The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfilment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956, and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced.
All of our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty and transparency.
About the job
The overall objective for DRC in Turkey is the protection and promotion of durable solutions to displacement affected populations on the basis of humanitarian principles and human rights with more immediate objectives focusing both on the immediate subsistence needs, protection and self-reliance support as well as a more long-term focus on social cohesion and resilience building. DRC works with beneficiary communities and individuals to prevent and reduce protection threats, and build resilience.
The objective of the Livelihood Program is to develop and strengthen capacities and self-reliance of vulnerable Syrian refugees to reduce their socio-economic vulnerabilities. The activities include: 1) Counselling, transferrable-skills trainings and one-to-one coaching to provide Syrian refugees with the information, skills and resources needed to develop more resilient livelihood strategies; 2) Technical and/or Vocational training to improve and/or diversify vulnerable peoples’ skillsets so they can pursue livelihood opportunities that increase their ability to adapt and cope with shocks.; 3) Productive asset support and small business grants to motivated Syrians to start income-generating activities. Small business management trainings will be carried out in view of building the capacity of local entrepreneurs in developing their networks, skills and business plans. Selected business plans showing an economic viability will be provided cash and in/kind grants on a matching basis to support the startup and/or expansion of the home based business or middle size enterprises. DRC also opened a Business Development Center in Hatay that aims to support entrepreneurs to open small and mid-sized businesses (SMEs) and to strengthen the capacity of the existing Turkish and Syrians young businesses (less than 2 years) to reduce the risk of failure.
The position will be based mainly in the DRC Business Development Center in Hatay Province, and as well as in DRC Hatay office. Your main duties and responsibilities will be:
- Overall planning the activities
- Monitoring and forecasting the project budget
- Managing the BDC team
To be successful in this role we expect you to have relevant Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, or Economics from an accredited university. Master’s Degree in Business Administration is desirable. At least 5 years of proven experience in private business sector. Demonstrated experience in Business and supply chain management. Excellent analysis and report writing skills. Strong organization & teamwork and management skills. Ability to communicate, negotiate and develop good working relations with a wide variety of players in the private and public sectors. Fluency in the Turkish and English language, both written and verbal and Arabic is an asset. Above average computer literacy.
Moreover, we also expect the following:
The Business Incubator Manager will be completely responsible for leading the BDC operations. This would be inclusive of the following tasks:
- Overall planning the activities, resources, budgets and operations of the BDC in accordance with DRC rules and coordinating day-to-day operations in the Incubator
- Ensuring business incubator project compliance with applicable internal and external requirements
- Coordinating the development, evaluation and implementation of project goals, objectives, and activities related to SMEs in the BDC.
- Monitoring and forecasting the project budget on an ongoing basis.
- Acting as a focal point while dealing with the project partners
- Planning various workshops/events/webinars/inspirational talks for the Incubator by collaborating with the project partners like Antakya Chamber of Commerce, Syrian Businessmen Association, ABIGEM and Çukurova University and executing the same with the help of BDC staff and project partners
- Developing the mentor network for the BDC and working with them to make hosted SMEs successful in their businesses
- Developing partnerships with other local, national or international organizations and authorities for providing services to the SMEs; marketing the BDC, sponsorships…etc.
- Representing the BDC to the public and outside groups, organizations, and agencies; responding to a wide variety of questions, comments, and/or concerns; resolving related complaints
- Liaising with the governmental bodies and industries to promote the BDC and increase its visibility
- Managing the BDC team
- Administrating the BDC and any other activities which require the manager’s involvement.
- Identifying the possible funding sources for start-up SMEs from private and public sources and collaborating with SMEs to raise funds
- Any other duties related to the nature of the job as directed by the Livelihood Manager West, ABIGEM Manager, Livelihood Program Coordinator and Livelihood Coordinator Hatay.
- Experience in working with business development programs and start-up consultancy is a strong asset.
- Experience in working in a private business development is a distinct asset
- Familiarity with the issues affecting the private sector and business development in Southeast Turkey as well as national trends in business and the economy
Required Skills and Competencies
- Excellent analytical and strategic thinking skills, with proven ability to create and utilize qualitative and quantitative analyses in organizational planning;
- Effective verbal and written communication, multi-tasking, organizational, and prioritization skills are necessary;
- Ability to live and work closely with a diverse team of individuals in a highly intense and fluid work and security environment;
- Capacity to spark innovative approaches to programming and to inspire groups to collaborate closely to implement high-quality programs;
- Ability to navigate complex situations with diplomacy;
- Ability to manage ambiguity, frustration and stress in self and others;
- Confident and decisive leadership;
- Desire and ability to learn and grow, both personally and professionally;
- Demonstrated attention to detail, ability to follow procedures, meet deadlines and work independently and cooperatively with team members is required;
- Demonstrated experience and ability to professionally and appropriately represent the organization and negotiate and defend DRC’s interests with a diverse range of government officials, local organizations and other groups.
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with DRC’s vision and values.
Contract length: 10 months
Start date: 12.03.2018
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Expatriates/ Nationals; please refer to drc.ngo under Vacancies.
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Closing date for applications: 28.02.2018
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit drc.ngo/jobsupport.
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo.
- Sektör Sivil Toplum
- Pozisyon Seviyesi Yönetici
- Pozisyon Proje Yöneticisi
- Eğitim Seviyesi Doktora, Yüksek Lisans, Üniversite
- İş Tecrübesi (Yıl) 4-9
- Yabancı Dil Türkçe (C2, Level 6, Advanced), İngilizce (C2, Level 6, Advanced), Arapça (C2, Level 6, Advanced)