General Description of the Programme:
GOAL an International Humanitarian Organisation has had a presence in Turkey since 2013 and has been contributing to the migrant response since 2016 with a focus on responding to needs in health service delivery, social safety nets and the protection of vulnerable and marginalised migrants in southern Turkey.
GOAL has been working in Syria since 2013, responding to the acute needs of conflict-affected communities. GOAL is working in Idleb Governate, both through direct implementation and through partners, delivering food, non-food programming to highly vulnerable populations, and provision of Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) through support to Water units, as well as emergency support to recently displaced households.
The role entails working with the GOAL Syria Response Communications team, developing internal and external GOAL communications material, and reporting directly to the Grants and Communications Coordinator. The Media Officer will support the GOAL Syria Response with developing high-quality communication products for a wide spectrum of audiences. These will range from, but not be restricted to the public, donors, beneficiaries, GOAL staff, and other humanitarian organisations. S/he will also be required to keep track of major programme and/or humanitarian developments, providing regular highlights for social media, which is managed by HQ, as well as internal updates on GOAL’s work for staff in Syria, Turkey and Amman.
The Media Officer will also be responsible for managing GOAL events and campaigns in close collaboration with the relevant Programme Teams. The Media Officer will work closely with the Media team in Syria in order to guide and support them on the type of information needed to produce quality communication and visibility materials. S/he will further work with the Public Relations Manager in order to coordinate elements of communication and language used in GOAL Syria communication and visibility materials.
Main duties and responsibilities:
- Work with the Communications Officers in Syria and GOAL Partners Teams in Syria and Turkey to collect high quality beneficiary stories, photographs, and video footage for communications and advocacy purposes, as outlined in GOAL’s Media Guidelines and as per donor guidelines and the needs of the GOAL Turkey Team.
- Provide support to the Communications Officers in Syria in designing and producing both print and online GOAL promotional and communication materials, including success stories, articles, press releases, videos, newsletters, factsheets, brochures, marketing materials, etc. in line with Head Office, donor guidelines and the needs for different audiences (donors, public audiences, etc.)
- Work with the Communications Officers to develop high quality photos, videos, newsletters, and other communications products from raw content gathered in Syria and Turkey, to be shared with external and internal audiences, as well as work proactively to gather more raw content from programmes teams
- Provide high quality, content-sensitive translations to English and Turkish of stories in Arabic gathered by Communications Officer in Syria, agreeing aligned messaging with GOAL Global’s Head of Communications.
- Proactively identify new concepts for stories/blogs/Vlogs, sharing ideas for new content with the Comms Officers and working to develop those stories/blogs/vlogs as appropriate.
- Strong understanding of all primary social media platforms with an ability to analyse media coverage (including press and social media sites) relevant to GOAL’s operation in Syria and Turkey
- Train and coach Programmes staff in Turkey and Syria and Communications Officers in both countries in photography, videography, and video editing for humanitarian purposes as and when required.
- Develop ideas into exceptional campaigns that will motivate donors to engage with and support our work
- Any other duties as outlined by the Country Director or GOAL Dublin Communication Team (if approved by CD).
- Ensure the maintenance of an effective filing system of communications materials, ensuring photos, video content, and beneficiary consent forms are completed and saved appropriately.
To be successful in this role, we expect you to:
- Graduate qualification ideally with a specialisation in journalism, media, or another related field
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in media/communications in Turkey with excellent knowledge of the Turkish media landscape
- Demonstrable recent and substantial media related work experience in Turkey and Syria
- Possess a strong and demonstrable understanding of social media pages (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram), as well as working on content for You Tube and press releases
- Excellent networking skills and commitment to capacity building.
- Ability to work under pressure, and prioritise workload according to the changing needs of the programme
- An ability to be proactive, reliable, responsible and accurate with an attention to detail, as well as possessing the ability to keep information confidential when appropriate
- Enthusiastic, flexible and with the ability to work long hours to meet the needs of the programme
- Excellent analytical and writing skills in English and Turkish
- Turkish Citizenship
It will be an advantage if you:
- Experience of working with humanitarian actors in a similar capacity providing programme/ communication/ information management support to humanitarian programmes and managing public relations and media content
- Knowledge of software such as Adobe Premiere, Photoshop, or Final Cut Pro preferred
- Fluency in written and spoken Arabic will be treated as a very big advantage.
Interested? Then apply for this position by clicking on the apply now button.
Applications close 30 November 2017.
General terms and conditions
GOAL has a Code of Conduct and a Child Protection Policy, which have been developed to ensure the maximum protection of programme participants and children from exploitation. GOAL also has a confidentiality policy ensuring the non-disclosure of any information whatsoever relating to the practices and business of GOAL, acquired in the course of duty, to any other person or organisation without authority, except in the normal execution of duty. Any candidate offered a job with GOAL will be expected to adhere to these and other relevant GOAL policies.
Any job offer made is also subject to background checks. GOAL is an equal opportunities employer.
This Job Description only serves as a guide for the position available. GOAL reserves the right to change this document.
- Sektör Sivil Toplum
- Pozisyon Seviyesi Personel
- Eğitim Seviyesi Üniversite
- İş Tecrübesi (Yıl) 1-3
- Yabancı Dil Türkçe (C2, Level 6, Advanced), İngilizce (C2, Level 6, Advanced)