Post Title: Monitoring and Evaluation Risk Analysis Officer
Duty station: Gaziantep (Turkey)
Duration of assignment: 1 year – with a possibility of extension
Contract type: service contract then employment contract under administration company
Expertise France is the French international technical expertise agency.
Its goal is to respond to the growing needs of developing or emerging countries and assist their institutions in developing efficient and sustainable public policies in the fields of Economic Development, Public Finance, Governance and Human Rights, Stability, Safety and Security, Social Protection, Sustainable Development, and Health.
Under the joint tutelage of the Ministries of Foreign Affairs and Economy, Expertise France develops its actions within the framework of French foreign policy in the areas of development, solidarity, and influence. The agency holds a portfolio of more than 300 projects in over 80 countries manages an annual turnover above €130 million and has implemented 63,000 working days in 2015.
The context of the assignment:
The Syrian conflict is having a devastating and lasting impact on Syria and across the region. Initially peaceful demonstrations have turned into an internal armed conflict. With the conflict in its seventh year, the needs of the affected populations for assistance are of an unprecedented scale.
The European Union, DFID and other donors, are supporting Expertise France to respond quickly to the needs of the Syrian population in a way that is conducive to local governance, early recovery and stabilization, by directly engaging with reliable partners inside Syria to deliver basic services to the population.
In the framework of these programmes, Expertise France (EF) wants to recruit an M&E Risk Analysis Officer. Given the nature of the assignment, the RAO will be placed under the authority of the M&E manager, yet he will also report to the Programmes coordinator.
- Need for Monitoring
The objective of the assignment is to assist EF and its partners to implement its programme on a solid result-based context analysis and risks monitoring, for activities which are carried out across the border into Syria.
The Expertise France’s M&E Unit is instrumental in providing monitoring services for both organizations, EF and GIZ. Through an “M&E request tool” every organization’s programme manager can either have perused a logframe for a project or direct Field Monitors and TPM to collect data in the field. This facility must reach a high level of expertise in producing timely, quality products. However, the localities in which such activities are carried out are subject to volatile security and frequent shift in armed groups’ influence.
Under the direct supervision of the Monitoring and Evaluation Manager, the Risk Analysis Officer will carry out the following activities:
- Assess, propose and implement innovative actions, risk transfer techniques for safer programme implementation;
- Support the M&E manager in consolidating M&E material for donor reporting;
- Contribute to a constructive learning environment.
- Activities and goals
Under the direct supervision of the Monitoring and Evaluation Manager, he/she will carry out the following activities:
CONTEXTUAL RISK ANALYSIS AND MONITORING
- Develop innovative and versatile risk control or transfer methodologies to benefit programme managers for safer projects implementation
- Ensure development or follow-up of tools and methods for context monitoring including social, economic, markets and conflict factors
- Ensure the production of adequate, recipients-adapted, communication products (advocacy, maps, appeals, etc.)
- Make sure the presented information is in line with the audience’s expectations and entitlement.
- Contribute to the sensitive cleanup of all reports or products before sharing to stakeholders
implementation of the rollout of the M&E framework in the field
As to specific research and analysis tasks connected to mainstream M&E:
- Propose methodologies and plans for implementing the M&E missions by EF monitors inside Syria
- Ensure timely implementation of the M&E missions in the field
- Associate the M&E officers based in Turkey to develop tools for data collection and ensure addressing EF priorities and cross-cutting issues.
- Associate the M&E officers based in Turkey to qualitative and qualitative analysis and assessments
- Ensure good use of the data collection methodology by M&E officers.
As to mainstream M&E tasks (ad hoc backup or as interim Senior M&E):
- Upon request from the M&E manager, contribute to maintain and foster EF M&E network inside Syria
- Associate the M&E officers based in Turkey in processing, analyzing and consolidating data collected in field missions.
- Review of the reports submitted by the M&E officers based in Turkey.
- Draft feedbacks and submit to M&E Manager, programme managers or DHOM on an agreed basis
- Execute any additional task as required by the management
Contribute to a constructive learning environment
- Contribute to the identification of success stories
- Ensure roll out of analysis training package to EF partners
- Assist in assessing the needs of partners in M&E analysis related fields
Ensure roll out of training package of field monitors on M&E and coach field staff
- Qualification and skills
- Degree in Social/Political Sciences, Development Studies, Geography, International Relations, Journalism or similar
- At least 2 years’ experience in M&E or Risk Analysis in emergency and development contexts
- Experience in projects’ management
- Proven qualitative data collection methodologies (especially proven experience in managing large data sets/statistics, extensive knowledge of Excel; GIS; SPSS; R)
- Excellent knowledge about research methods and survey design with sampling.
- Excellent analytical, writing and reporting skills.
- Strong English and Arabic skills required (oral and written), Turkish would be an asset
- Ability in presenting findings, products, and methodologies verbally and in writing
- Extensive experience in communicating and learning in emergency contexts
- Experience setting up remote monitoring mechanisms would be an asset
- Capable and willing to work with a high level of diversity (culture, language, ethnic identity, religion)
- Experience to work in emergency response and under short deadlines
- Flexible, enthusiastic and willing to learn from others;
- Good sense of humor
- Application procedure
Applications must be in English and entail the following:
- CV “EU format preferred”
- Application letter
Please send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org
Employment is subject to the possession of valid identification documents (passport, residency card, temporary protection card etc.) and successfully obtaining permission to work with the Government of Turkey (work permit)
Failure to provide the required documents or a rejection of a work permit application by the Government of Turkey will result in your employment offer being rescinded.
- Sektör AB Uzmanları / Proje Ekibi
- Eğitim Seviyesi Üniversite
- İş Tecrübesi (Yıl) 1-3
- Yabancı Dil İngilizce (C2, Level 6, Advanced), Arapça (C2, Level 6, Advanced)