Job Title : Project Development Manager
Department : Program
Reports to : Program Director
Purpose of the Job:
Greenpeace Turkey operates a program structure in which project development officers work closely together with specialists from other departments (operations, communication, social media, editorial, sales & marketing and editorial) to design and deliver issue based projects, in an integrated team, to achieve specific agreed objectives, facilitated by a designated project leader.
In Turkey, our current project portfolio focuses on energy (coal, renewable solutions, nuclear), agriculture (pesticides, food production system and consumption patterns), oceans (plastics and marine reserves), forests and other global priorities – often including response work. These issue based projects are developed by a team of 4-5 project development officers. We are looking for a project development manager who will provide leadership, manage this project team and support them to develop those issues and projects
The Project Development manager reports to the Program Director. This post is based at the Greenpeace office in Istanbul but also involves occasional travel abroad.
- In consultation with the Program Director, agree on priorities and work with the team to translate them into pieces of practical plans to be implemented.
- Oversee and constantly improve the performance of agreed projects. Foster a culture of innovation and smart risk taking within project planning.
- Identify key opportunities and take a lead in responding to them in the best possible ways.
- Contribute directly to the project work when necessary.
- Line manage project development officers in accordance with current management practices and policies.
- Coordinate, delegate and control tasks among the team.
- Address problems, organize support and make interventions where needed.
- Ensure that all members of the team follow the appropriate organizational procedures.
- Actively identify development and learning opportunities for team members.
Management of resources
- Together with the team, develop and manage budgets related to the projects.
- Liaise closely with the heads of other departments – particularly communications, social media and operations.
- Coordinate work and capacity allocation with other departments (communication, social media, operations, editorial, sales and marketing) as necessary.
- Oversee seconded staff, contractors and freelancers as appropriate.
Networking and Representation
- Develop and maintain relationships with external parties such as key allies, academics, media, industry, political fora, and other organisations, in support of the project objectives
- Represent Greenpeace at relevant national, international and local meetings/conventions/press conferences with external bodies such as media, industry and governments, in order to further the agreed project objectives.
Support Sales and Marketing and Editorial
- Advise and assist the Programme Director and/or Editorial department on the development of sales and marketing proposals, and subsequent project reporting and representation.
- In conjunction with the Programme Director provide briefs to sales and marketing managers, liaise with advertising agencies and other potential opportunities to
- Support of Greenpeace work as required in order to ensure information used for sales, marketing and advertising proposals are factually correct and in line with the agreed strategy.
- When agreed and appointed, function as a project leader for a specific project (can be highly variable in scale and time). The tasks then include management of a project with a diverse team of colleagues, making sure that it is on track with approved plan and objectives, coordination of its outputs, management of the respective budget, reporting and evaluation.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Previous experience in issue based project working, communication and team management;
- University degree or equivalent hands on issue or project experience
- Ability to outline and explain good project strategies;
- Ability to take autonomous, quick and sound decision
- A demonstrated commitment to environmental and social justice issues
- Fluency in both written and oral Turkish and English
- Strong in time management, organizational, interpersonal, communication and administrative skills;
- Knowledge and understanding of Greenpeace’s overall goals;
- Familiarity with operational strategies;
- Familiarity with digital tools and the the role of social media in reaching people by viral marketing
- Ability to operate, lead and stay calm under pressure and in physically or mentally challenging situations
- Presentation and public speaking skills and/or experience
Planning and Organizing
Coaching and leading others
Impact and influence
Teamwork and cooperation
Applications should include your current resume, and also a cover letter of approximately 2 pages, that explain why you are suitable for this tole, and why you want to work with Greenpeace. Applications without cover letters will not be considered.
Your cover letter should address each and every one of the points in the job description and provide examples as to when you have demonstrated this competency in the past, and how you have contributed to the success of an aspect of that work.
For this role, of a head of project development then please include example of a project, ideally with links or an attached project plan, that you have worked on
Please take the time and effort to explain why you want to join the Greenpeace team, and what you can offer.
- Sektör Sivil Toplum