The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfilment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956, and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced.
All of our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty and transparency.
About the job
The Protection Coordinator (PC) will provide overall technical support to, and oversight of all aspects of DRC’s protection programme in Turkey. This will include all Protection projects, strategy development and coordination between relevant partners, projects, Government and donors, capacity building support for programme partners as well as the Protection team, identification of Protection needs gaps and funding opportunities and, with the Grants Coordinator lead proposal development.
The PC will represent DRC in relevant internal and external coordination fora ensuring the appropriate level of visibility of DRC Turkey’s protection portfolio and providing technical leadership among peer organizations;
To be successful in this role we expect you to have Master degree in one of the following: International development, social sciences, international relations, human rights.
Experience and technical competencies:
At least five years proven and successful track record in international protection and/or human rights;
You should also have:
- Experience in management and development of Protection programmes in a post emergency context;
- Experience with team management and technical support;
- Experience with project cycle management and project management tools such as logical frameworks, work plans, budgets and monitoring plans;
- Experience in project and proposal development;
- A high level of integrity and willingness to conduct her/himself transparently and open to scrutiny;
- Ability and willingness to work in a high pressure environment and long working hours as necessary;
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment.
Ideally, you also have
- Previous experience working in the Middle East and North Africa region;
- Ability to communicate technical information in an easy to understand, informative and collaborative manner;
A good knowledge of Core Humanitarian Standards or other accountability measures/standards.
Moreover, we also expect the following:
Programme Strategy & New Project Development:
- Develop and roll out DRC Turkey’s Protection Strategy and Action Plan, ensuring it is in-line with the overall country strategy which reflects the evolving nature of the Syrian conflict and displacement needs in Turkey;
- Lead the strengthening of protection mainstreaming in all phases of DRC’s projects;
- Proactively engage in coordination with local and international NGOs as well as with Government agencies to refine, expand and strengthen DRC’s referral and information assistance and partner networks;
- With the relevant Area/Project Managers and Grants Coordinator, contribute to and lead the technical design and review of Protection concept notes, logical frameworks, budgets and full proposals;
- Support the Programme Quality Department in rolling out qualitative and quantitative monitoring, analysis and evaluation approaches to build institutional learning;
- Maintain technical links with DRC Regional counterparts.
Team Management Technical Support:
- Oversee all Protection projects and budgets;
- Support DRC Turkey’s Protection Unit and provide team members with technical guidance and support through regular coordination meetings;
- Design Protection staff capacity development plans and, in coordination with the HoP, lead their implementation;
- Regularly travel to the field to provide technical support and feedback to field teams and implementing partners on programmatic approaches and issues;
- Arrange and lead fortnightly Protection staff meetings;
- Ensure all protection tools, SoPs and guidelines are regularly updated;
- Work with field Protection teams and Partnership Manager to support the capacity building of implementing partners.
Coordination, Representation & Advocacy:
- Represent DRC at technical coordination fora and pro-actively promote DRC’s Protection advocacy messages;
- Maintain close working relationships with technical leads within DRC Turkey, DRC Regional Office, and HQ Copenhagen to ensure strategy and implementation coherence with DRC’s global objectives;
- Participate in programme and other meetings as requested by the HoP;
- English (fluent)
- Arabic (asset)
- Turkish (asset)
Lead in the development of DRC Turkey’s advocacy strategy and setup the Protection advocacy plan.
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with DRC’s vision and values.
Contract length: 12 months
Start date: 01.07.2018
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Expatriates/ Nationals; please refer to drc.ngo under Vacancies.
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Closing date for applications: 08.06.2018
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit drc.ngo/jobsupport.
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo.
- Sektör Sivil Toplum
- Pozisyon Seviyesi Yönetici
- Pozisyon Proje Koordinatörü
- Eğitim Seviyesi Doktora, Yüksek Lisans, Üniversite
- İş Tecrübesi (Yıl) 4-9
- Yabancı Dil Türkçe (C2, Level 6, Advanced), İngilizce (C2, Level 6, Advanced)