The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfilment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956, and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced.
All of our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty and transparency.
About the job
The overall objective for DRC in Turkey is the protection and promotion of durable solutions to displacement affected populations on the basis of humanitarian principles and human rights with more immediate objectives focusing both on the immediate subsistence needs, protection and self-reliance support as well as a more long-term focus on social cohesion and resilience building. DRC works with beneficiary communities and individuals to prevent and reduce protection threats, and build resilience.
The objective of the Livelihood Program is to develop and strengthen capacities and self-reliance of vulnerable Syrian refugees and host community to reduce their socio-economic vulnerabilities. The activities include: 1) Counselling, transferrable-skills trainings and one-to-one coaching to provide beneficiaries with the information, skills and resources needed to develop more resilient livelihood strategies; 2) Vocational skills training to improve and/or diversify vulnerable peoples’ skillsets so they can pursue livelihood opportunities that increase their ability to adapt and cope with shocks.; 3) Productive asset support and small business grants to motivated beneficiaries to start income-generating activities. Small business management trainings will be carried out in view of building the capacity of local entrepreneurs in developing their networks, skills and business plans. Selected business plans showing an economic viability and profitability will be provided in/kind support on a matching basis to support the startup and/or expansion of the home based business or middle size enterprises.
The Senior Livelihoods Officer – Phase 3 (Income Generation / Entrepreneurship) develops the strategy for income generation and entrepreneurship, leads the procurement processes as part of the Productive Asset Support, works in close cooperation with the market mapping and analysis unit, the staff of the implementing partners and the business incubator manager to improve market integration by beneficiaries and increase the chances of survival of their small businesses, provides regular and tailored technical and operational guidance to the implementing partners to ensure quality implementation and oversees daily activities to ensure expected results and targets are met. The Senior Livelihoods Officer Phase 3 is also responsible for the management of the e-commerce platform “buy4impact” which enables home-based producers to market and sell their products online. In that respect, the Senior Livelihood Officer Phase 3 is responsible to connect these producers with the platform, together with the productive asset support assistants.
The Senior Livelihoods Officer reports to Livelihood Coordinator – Hatay.
Your main duties and responsibilities will be:
- General Programming & operations
- Technical support – interactions with implementing partner
- Monitoring & Evaluation
To be successful in this role we expect you to have University degree or higher in international business administration, economics, marketing, finance, or other relevant field. High-level of knowledge and practice with Word, Excel, Outlook, etc. required. Experience working in the field (preferably experience from Southern Turkey) Relevant professional livelihood experience with a humanitarian aid organisation. Experience with managing partnerships with local organisations. Experience engaging with the private sector. Fluency in English, and either Arabic or Turkish both written and verbal.
Moreover, we also expect the following:
General Programming & Operations (40%)
- Provide oversight of all Phase 3 activities taking place
- Develop the strategy for income generation / entrepreneurship activities (business skills development, productive asset support, small business grants) and lead the development of new tools
- Develop a mapping of all stakeholders working in Business Development in the area and develop potential collaboration
- Maintain regular interactions with the Market Mapping and Analysis Unit to ensure the relevance and impact of business skills development and entrepreneurship activities
- Lead the procurement process for Productive Asset Support, including coordinating with all support departments within DRC
- Follow-up the budget for relevant budget lines, with the support of the coordinator
- Analyse at all times the changing needs amongst Syrians and refugee groups to ensure DRC provides relevant activities
- Analyse and identify, with the team of the implementing partners, new approaches for business skills trainings and small business grants to ensure implementation is relevant to the needs of beneficiaries
- Identify the need for assessments as well as focus group discussions with beneficiaries and support the team of the implementing partner in undertaking them
- Participate in facilitating and coordinating activities within the team and with other DRC’s departments
- Develop the strategy for online e-commerce platform “buy4impact” and link producers to this platform in collaboration with the developer of this platform
Technical support – interactions with implementing partner (40%)
- Work closely with the Business Incubator Manager to identify capacity building needs for the implementing team
- Provide capacity building to the PAS Assistants and staff of the implementing partners based on jointly developed capacity building plans
- Coordinate with the business trainer of the implementing partner to develop and adjust the curriculums of the trainings
- Support, guide and coach implementing partner’s staff on technical and operational issues for quality implementation and follow up on recommendations to ensure quality control throughout implementation
- Provide guidance on how to integrate cross-cutting protection considerations into planned interventions
- Promote an open and supportive environment for implementing partner’s staff
- Ensure that the implementing partner produces detailed report on activities weekly
- Ensure and plan with the implementing partners project monitoring visits
- Develop qualitative and quantitative data collection tools regarding program impact to assure the project goals are being met and that the Program team is able to constantly improve the quality of program implementation.
- Work with the Programme Development and Grants Manager and Programme teams to develop evaluation tools and sampling methods and protocols for internal evaluations
- In coordination with Programme Development & Grants Manager and if applicable with MEL focal point in HQ, support the design, planning and implementation of external evaluations on projects.
Reporting and Information (30%)
- Submit timely reports as agreed to the Programme Development and Grants Manager on achievements and challenges related to monitoring activities;
- Produce periodic monitoring reports as per M&E plan on each project for donors’ reports as well as for internal stakeholders to ensure programs have accurate and useful data to inform program development
- Proactively seek for new partnerships for business skills training and entrepreneurship activities
- Work in close cooperation with the market mapping and analysis unit, the productive asset assistant, the business incubator manager to improve market integration by beneficiaries and increase the chances of survival of their small businesses
- Promote and ensure at all times a pragmatic and efficient dialogue as well as networking with local institutions and authorities, private Institutes, workshops, national and international NGOs, etc.
- Coordinate with the rest of DRC Turkey team whenever needed
Monitoring & Evaluation (5%)
- Provide regular reporting on indicators, achievements and challenges related to the project in close coordination with the implementing partner
- Facilitate the qualitative and quantitative monitoring of the project through team meetings, focus group, post-assistance visits, regular reporting and any other monitoring tools.
- Participate in the internal evaluation of the program.
- If requested by the Livelihoods Coordinator or the Livelihoods Manager, represent DRC in livelihoods working groups and interagency planning workshops.
Any other duties as agreed with the Livelihoods Coordinator, Livelihoods Manager, Area Manager
Qualifications, Experiences, Skills & Competencies
- Project Management (including budget / contract management)
- Project monitoring (including reporting and data management)
- Understanding of the rights and protection issues of refugees, children and women – experience working with Syrian refugees is an advantage
- An understanding of humanitarian/civil society issues in Turkey and the region
- Willingness to relocate to south/south-eastern Turkey, and to travel within and between provinces
- Proven analytical and writing skills
- Proven communication, interpersonal, representation, negotiation, promotion and diplomacy skills
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships in a multi-ethnic, multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary environment
- Ability to provide capacity building support to members of a different organization
- Flexible, enthusiastic and willingness to learn from others
- Strong initiative and self-motivated
- Ability to multi-task and cope with competing demands under tight deadlines
- Fluency in English, and either Arabic or Turkish both written and verbal.
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with DRC’s vision and values.
Contract length: 9 months
Level: Senior Officer
Start date: 09.04.2018
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Expatriates/ Nationals; please refer to drc.ngo under Vacancies.
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Closing date for applications: 30.03.2018
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit drc.ngo/jobsupport.
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo.
- Sektör Sivil Toplum
- Pozisyon Seviyesi Personel
- Pozisyon Proje Sorumlusu
- Eğitim Seviyesi Doktora, Yüksek Lisans, Üniversite
- İş Tecrübesi (Yıl) 4-9
- Yabancı Dil Türkçe (C2, Level 6, Advanced), İngilizce (C2, Level 6, Advanced), Arapça (C2, Level 6, Advanced)