We are looking for a highly qualified Senior Research Officer for our Protection Monitoring Department in Antakya- Hatay, Turkey.
Who are we?
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a humanitarian, non-governmental and non-profit organization, founded in 1956, that works in more than 35 countries around the world. DRC has been operating in Turkey since early 2013, working with by and large with non-camp Syrian refugees and affected host communities. DRC is committed to basic humanitarian principles; including impartiality and neutrality, and offers the highest standards of accountability to the people it serves. The overall objective for DRC in Turkey is the protection and promotion of durable solutions to displacement affected populations on the basis of humanitarian principles and human rights with more immediate objectives focusing both on the immediate subsistence needs, protection and self-reliance support as well as a more long term focus on capacity building. In Turkey, DRC works partially through partners, also providing intensive capacity building support, while also conducting direct implementation.
About the job
Turkey is currently host to refugees, primarily from Syria, and to a lesser extent asylum seekers and refugees from Afghanistan, Iraq and Iran as well as a significant number of asylum seekers and migrants. In recent years it has become an important departure point for people in mixed migration flows, reaching a peak of over one million people leaving from or passing through Turkey in 2015. Thus Turkey is a key transit site on the Eastern Mediterranean route and critical to understanding the complex flows of migrants and refugees through information, research and analysis ensuring better early warning of future movements as well as improving the protective environment of protracted-displacement affected and migrant populations in Turkey. Danish Refugee Council has established mixed migration projects in other locations such as the Horn of Africa/Yemen, West Africa and North Africa that provide a protection-based response and now seeks to extend this work in Turkey.
The mixed migration project focuses on data development, analysis, research and advocacy. It concentrates on the so-called “Eastern Mediterranean route” flows from Afghanistan, Iran and the Middle East through Turkey towards Europe. The Project Officer will support DRC Turkey’s office on a wide range of activities as part of its overall strategy and also coordinate with DRC Regional Office on mixed migration work.
The key responsibilities of the Project Officer can be summarized as offering high calibre support specifically around the work of sourcing, synthesizing and processing information and data, and to a lesser extent training and awareness raising.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Senior Research Officer will have the following duties and responsibilities:
- Information management and research comprising: the gathering and dissemination of existing data, information, legislation, news items, news archives, policies and conventions, reports, best practice experiences and working methods related to key protection and migration subjects;
- To perform analysis of regional protection and mixed migration data, strategies, policies and legislation, and production and dissemination of quality reports under guidance from Protection Monitoring Advisor;
- Responsible for drafting Mixed Migration Monthly Updates, 6 month trends report and thematic research papers and contributing to Protection Monitoring monthly reports and quarterly White Papers;
- Assist with the coordination and management of research initiatives in areas of interest related to mixed migration;
- Assist with advocacy, promotion of regional dialogue, networking and coordination by assisting to facilitate and coordinate consultation/technical working workshops and conferences/meetings, and to assist in the identification of areas for research or tools development;
- Assisting with support to capacity building and advice in the region in relation to mixed migrationOther
- Any other duties related to the nature of the job as directed by Supervisor and The Senior Research Officer will be supervised by the Protection Monitoring Coordinator.About you
- University degree (minimum) and preferably a Master’s degree in International Law, Political Sciences or similar discipline
- A minimum of 3-5 years of experience in similar positions involving information management, research and communications;
- A minimum of 3-5 years of experience in positions requiring planning, analysis and problem solving;
- Proven experience conducting research activities using a range of methodological approaches
- An active knowledge of the region and the socio-economic and political dynamics affecting it;
- Some human rights/protection knowledge and international refugee law and/or proven interest and/or track record in the humanitarian agenda;
- Having some understanding and interest in the regional mixed migration dynamic in Turkey and/or the Middle East
- Good IT command and close familiarity with the maintenance and management of template-style websites (but IT specialization is not required);
- Strong analytical and writing skills in English and Turkish is essential, Arabic preferred;
- The successful candidate will have the ability to perform a series of tasks requiring the application of specialized and general skills;
- He/she must be comfortable working against set objectives with some degree autonomy when required and able to act with initiative;
- The mixed migration project will be a small team and it is essential that candidates thrive in conditions of transparency and active team work;Language Skills:
- Strong analytical and writing skills in English and Turkish is essential, Arabic preferred;Characteristics:
- Strong reporting/communication skills
- Strong administrative and organizational skills
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
DRC will offer the successful applicant a 1-year contract, renewable dependent on both funding and performance. You must be available to start work from 01.01.2018 and be willing and able to work in Antakya-Hatay.
We offer a fair compensation package depending on your qualification and experiences as well as additional allowances such as relocation allowance and living allowances, if applicable. DRC Turkey is income tax exempted.
Interested? Then apply for this position by clicking on the apply button.
All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in the same language as this vacancy note. CV only applications will not be considered.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please contact email@example.com
Applications close 17.12.2017. The interviews are expected to take place within 2 weeks after the application close date.
Need further information?
For more details on this position please contact HR Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that applications sent directly to HR Team will not be considered.
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website www.drc.ngo
- Sektör Sivil Toplum
- Pozisyon Seviyesi Personel
- Pozisyon Proje Sorumlusu
- Eğitim Seviyesi Yüksek Lisans, Üniversite
- İş Tecrübesi (Yıl) 4-9
- Yabancı Dil Türkçe (C2, Level 6, Advanced), İngilizce (C2, Level 6, Advanced), Arapça (C2, Level 6, Advanced)