Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Under the overall supervision of Chief Medical Officer IOM Turkey, and the direct supervision of the the Chief Nursein IOM Migration Health Assessment Centre Istanbul, the incumbent should assist in execution of a range of heatlh assessment, treatment, immunization, files clearance and storage and follow-up activities on behalf of IOM’s beneficiaries in Turkey. In particular he/she will be:
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Assist in coordinating the pre-examination activities of the migration health assessment process, such as
obtaining medical history, performing anthropometrics, visual acuity and vital signs measurements, and
reporting the same on the web based platforms for each resettlement country.
2. Follow and act on the prescriptions/recommendations given by the doctor, administering the appropriate
3. Monitoring availability of all necessary medical expendables and supplies as well as keeping of materials and
drugs (excluding anti – TB drugs) in order that requires:
– preparation of the equipment necessary for doctor’s examination;
– checking drugs in the clinic and their expiry dates and making a report on it at the end of each
– preparing/sending information to the Head Nurse about the items necessary for the clinic;
– preparation and keeping in order medical kits used by medical escorts and staff assisting the predeparture
4. Performing pre-departure checks and treatment for traveling refugees/migrants and preparing a report
about the given treatment according to the country of resettlement requirements. Indicate the activities /
treatment given in the web based applications.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates are
eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered
as first-tier candidates.
5. Prepare service request referral to external service providers, keep records of it and verify the invoices for the services rendered by partner laboratory and radiology providers.
6. Liaise with the external Doctors, the Specialists Consultants for referring cases and receiving the reports and invoices; clear the same through IOM Finance Unit.
7. Participate in field missions across the country, and abroad, as needed, and assist as nurse escort of serious medical cases.
8. Assist in providing counselling on health issues.
9. Maintain confidentiality of information and collaborative relationship with clients, partners and health professionals.
10. Perform any other related duties that may be assigned by the Head of the IOM Clinic.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
Diploma of Registered Nurse with a minimum three years of work experience in Clinical Nursing.
Previous work experience with an International NGO or a UN Organization, and in a refugee settlement is an advantage. Experience in Migration Heath is a very strong advantage.
Previous working experience on higher ranked or supervisory position within a medical facility is desired.
Excellent communication and public relations skills is an advantage.
Mature individual, able to work independently, effectively and harmoniously with colleagues from varied cultures and professional backgrounds at all levels.
Capable of working under stressful conditions.
Demonstrated ability to maintain accuracy and confidentiality in performing responsibilities.
Training and experience in TB, STDs, other communicable diseases and migration health is considered an asset.
Computer literate on Microsoft Word, Excel and Access.
Turkish-fluent /written and spoken
English-fluent /written and spoken
Arabic is a strong advantage.
Effectively applies knowledge of health issues in execution of responsibilities at appropriate level
Maintains confidentiality and discretion in appropriate areas of work
Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms
Client Orientation – works effectively well with clients and stakeholders
Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others
Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services
Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others.
Planning and Organizing – plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
Professionalism – displays mastery of subject matter
Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation.
Technological Awareness – displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
Resource Mobilization – works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
Please be advised that this is a local position and as such only applications from candidates with a valid residence / working permit residing in Turkey will be considered.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Sektör Sivil Toplum
- Pozisyon Seviyesi Personel
- Eğitim Seviyesi Üniversite
- İş Tecrübesi (Yıl) 1-3
- Yabancı Dil Türkçe (C2, Level 6, Advanced), İngilizce (C2, Level 6, Advanced)