The Syria Recovery Trust Fund (SRTF) was established for the financing of reconstruction activities to rebuild the country and alleviate the suffering of the Syrian people as a result of the on-going conflict. The SRTF was created to provide the international community with a vehicle to offer financial support to the National Coalition for responding to the needs of the Syrian people.
The Management Unit (MU) was established to manage the Fund and its allocations to projects addressing reconstruction, recovery, and stabilization to alleviate the suffering of the Syrian people.
Governing bodies of SRTF are:
- The Steering Board (SB), with frequent meetings two times a year.
- The Management Committee (MC), meeting every three months.
- The Director General of SRTF (DG).
The Junior Civil Engineer (JCE) is a member of the Management Unit (MU) of the Syria Recovery Trust Fund (SRTF) and operates under the direct supervision of the Programme Section Head (PSH) responsible for the Recovery Programme.
The JCE provides technical support and coordination on planning, design and monitoring of engineering functions and content of projects and assist the Projects Manager (PM) on engineering issues, implementation and management in projects addressing infrastructure rehabilitation and reconstruction activities under the programme.
The selected candidate contributes and assists the PMs of the MU team in the delivery of a variety of project assignments and provides through his expertise the necessary support and contribution on contract management, selection of materials/inputs specifications and recommend sound applications and practices of engineering related tasks in projects. Overall, the JCE supports the MU team in meeting projects’ needs and services and contributes in the function of an efficient and effective engineering support in the recovery programme.
Last but not least, under the direct guidance of the PSH provides support to any other task that he/she may be requested.
2. Key Responsibilities
The incumbent as the focal person for support and coordination of related engineering tasks in projects across the sectors of operation must ensure quality, relevance and accuracy in delivery of assigned tasks and fulfilling particular assigned responsibilities, as follows:
- Liaise and collaborate with the PMs, on project concepts’ initiation and proposal preparation.
- Promote through coordination results delivery in project planning, engineering know-how, and sound management practices so that best practices are applied at all the project’s stages.
- Provide the necessary guidance and support to PM colleagues in the collection and elaboration of the necessary data and information related to project proposals and implementation.
- Coordinate and support the timely preparation of design and BoQs for submission, discussion and approval by the PSH.
- Contribute to plans for capacity building and technology transfer through the project implementation schedule and project related functions (BOQs, Specifications, tenders, contracts, etc.).
- Provide due diligence for contract agreements, procurement process and coordinate with PMs on seeking solutions on corresponding challenges.
- Establish key monitoring milestones for the infrastructure works in each of the projects during preparation phase, performance, budgets, and quality assurance on delivery.
- Attend meetings, as required, and contribute to the project needs through professional knowledge and “problem-solving” ideas.
- Work closely with the PMs and coordinate on delivery of works in each sector at all the stages, namely: planning, design, tendering, implementation and completion.
- Practical knowledge and in-depth understanding of importance of projects coordination tasks.
- Professionalism, integrity and commitment to assigned duties.
- Expertise in planning, management and mobilization of resources in infrastructure focused works.
- Good communication and team working skills, and ability to negotiate and report on project issues.
- Knowledge and understanding of project implementation in conflict environment, and capacity to identify solutions for effective planning in consideration of field conditions.
- Ability to communicate, motivate, manage and coordinate project related work in a multi- discipline team and meet tight schedules under stressful environment.
- Capacity to establish priorities, address project issues and focus on engineering tasks as assigned by the PSH.
- Demonstrate trust and confidence in teamwork and provide timely response to requests made by the PSH and/or PMs on projects’ needs.
- Professional knowledge and capacity to manage projects related documentation with accurate standards and quality.
- Prepare and submit progress reports on assigned tasks under his responsibility during the weekly Programme Section meetings.
- Contribute as he may be requested by the PSH on project progress, and /or deliveries of inputs to be included in the reporting for newsletters and the Organization’s quarterly reports.
- Adhere to Organization’s regulations on security and confidentiality.
5. Supervision and guidance received
- The JCE shall work under the direct supervision and reports directly to the Head of the Recovery Programme Section (RPSH) or his/ her Deputy.
- The JCE shall also collaborate with and coordinate on project issues with other Sector PMs, as required, and under the guidance of the PSH.
- A university degree in Engineering related discipline, preferably in civil engineering or Architecture. Professional accreditation from renowned engineering institution will be positively evaluated.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in engineering assignments, with focus on planning, design and project management.
- Work experience in multi-discipline infrastructure projects including contracts’ management and project commissioning, highly desirable.
- Computer literacy in basic software applications, (Microsoft office, etc.) and engineering software such as MS Project, Primavera, AutoCad, and other related programmes.
- Excellent oral and written skills in both Arabic and English is required; working knowledge of any other language spoken in the region shall be positively evaluated.
How to apply:
Applicants are kindly requested to submit their CVs at the Administration email address: email@example.com, with the following subject "Junior Civil Engineer - SRTF".
GOPA Middle East
GOPA has a strong presence in Jordan and the Middle East through both GOPA regional company and GOPA Jordan LLC as strategic-operational strengthening. Our centre of competencies; local team and local partners puts us in a better position for having strong experience with working conditions in Jordan and the region, to serve our beneficiaries, and to develop services that meet their needs and match their level of requirements.