Candidate age: between 18 and 29 throughout the entire duration of their assignment. Applicants must be nationals of the country of assignment. Duty station of the assignment is Istanbul, but remote working option would be available.
Description of task
UNDP IICPSD’s initiative SDG AI Lab aims to harness the potential of frontier digital technologies such as Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning and GIS for sustainable development. The Junior Data Science Officer will support SDG AI Lab’s work in development and implementation of digital solutions using Data Science, Machine Learning and Natural Language Processing.
Under the direct supervision of UNDP IICPSD Technical Specialist, the UN Youth Volunteer will undertake the following tasks:
- Assist the ongoing research efforts on application of Machine Learning (ML) and Natural Language Processing (NLP) approaches to development issues.
- Support the team in developing and implementing ML and NLP solutions to tackle issues in the field of economic and international development.
- Assist the extension of Machine Learning (ML) frameworks and libraries for NLP projects.
- Contribute to training and evaluating of NLP models.
- Continuously support the data maintenance and data acquisition activities of the SDG AI Lab.
- Support research work to unravel promising fields in development for the application of AI.
- Provide as needed support to the Technical Specialist as required for, amongst others, participating in meetings, conferences, providing administrative and communications support, drafting meeting minutes and perform other functions and duties.
Please see https://sdgailab.org/ for details of the organization.
Required degree level: Bachelor degree or equivalent
Education - Additional Comments:
- Bachelor degree in Computer Science, Statistics, Econometrics, Mathematics, Economics or other relevant field
- Demonstrated interest and/or experience in machine learning, natural language processing, statistics, data science,
- Demonstrated interest in exploring and applying innovative, outside the box thinking approaches with utilizing digital transformation, innovation, volunteerism, private sector engagement, entrepreneurship, and/or South-South Cooperation
- Proficiency in programming languages, preferably Python, or R, SQL, Java
- Experience with open-source software library such as TensorFlow, Scikit-Learn, Pandas, and NLTK would be an asset.
- Previous experience as a volunteer and/or experience of another culture, (i.e. studies, volunteer work, internship) would be highly regarded.
- English(Mandatory), Level - Fluent
- Turkish(Mandatory), Level - Fluent
Area of expertise: Other science experience, Other information and telecommunications technology experience, Statistics
Driving license: No
Adaptability and Flexibility, Commitment and Motivation, Commitment to Continuous Learning, Communication, Ethics and Values, Integrity, Planning and Organizing, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity, Working in Teams
* Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup. Important: After creating your account, complete all sections of your profile and submit it. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink. Lastly, select the special call to which you would like to apply.
* Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call to which you would like to apply.
This is a national UN Volunteer assignment, therefore only nationals of Turkey and legal residents in Turkey with the status of refugee or with the status of being stateless are eligible to apply.
Application deadline: 18-04-2020