Job Title: Legal Assistant
Are you aiming to work for an organization where it is worthwhile investing your personality, your skills and your time? Are you looking for a job that is exciting and has clear goals? Welcome to Welthungerhilfe! We are one of the largest and most respected private organizations for development cooperation and humanitarian aid in Germany. We are a politically independent and non-denominational organization, our value-oriented actions are always based on humanitarian principles. Our vision is a world in which everyone has the chance and the right to lead a self-determined life in dignity and justice, free from hunger and poverty.
Welthungerhilfe's Head Office is in Bonn, Germany whilst the Syria Response is managed from our Country Office in Gaziantep. Welthungerhilfe was established in Turkey in 2013 specifically to help people who are affected by the Syria Crisis. Since then, the organisation has expanded its program scope and scale to make the greatest possible contribution to meeting humanitarian needs in Turkey and North West Syria. Welthungerhilfe has field offices in Azaz and Afrin, as well as Ankara, Istanbul, Hatay and Mardin. The Syria Response program includes food security, WASH services, Shelter and NFI services, protection, early recovery and livelihood.
If you want to become part of this joint mission in Turkey, Syria and Lebanon, we look forward to receiving your application as:
The position is to be filled by December 15, 2022, with a contract duration of 9 months. There are good prospects for an extension. The position can also be filled with an unlimited contract duration if the employee shows an appropriate period of employment. Employment location will be [[Mardin]], Turkey.
- Provide legal and other relevant information to beneficiaries in person, on the phone and by email etc.
- Research individual cases, assess problems and identify possible courses of action together with the beneficiary.
- Ensure that at all times beneficiaries are aware of what options are available to them and that they are empowered to pursue chosen options and assisted to access resources.
- Accompany beneficiaries in state institutions and courts for guidance.
- Refer beneficiaries to other sources of assistance, for example solicitors, social workers or case workers who may represent the client in court, at tribunals or other official bodies.
- Liaise with other internal departments and external organizations on behalf of beneficiaries.
- Provide awareness raising session legal content, keep it updated, train the protection team to disseminate the information.
- Produce information for protection publications, leaflets etc.
- Advocate and make representations to mainstream service providers on behalf of beneficiaries.
- Keep up to date with appropriate legislation and policies regarding refugees living in Turkey in general.
- Interpret and explain legislation, official documents, or the content of letters to beneficiaries.
- Work on a flexible basis by performing other tasks not included above, but as necessitated by the needs and changing circumstances.
- Keep up to date with legislation and policy relevant to the post to ensure effectiveness and competence in delivering a high-quality service.
- Work in partnership with service providers and key stakeholders to provide a holistic approach to meet service beneficiaries needs.
- In coordination with protection expert, assist with broader advocacy efforts as requested by collecting case data, writing reports, briefings, articles, and case profiles.
- Understand and follow up on activities and assess progress of implementation, provide solutions and report issues when needed.
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships, including service as referral focal points, with relevant stakeholders including partner agencies, community leaders and service providers.
- To work on a flexible basis by performing other tasks not included above, but as necessitated by the needs and changing circumstances.
- Support Protection staff through the provision of technical support and guidance on legal assistance.
- Participate protection case meetings, as requested.
- Contribute to monthly and ad hoc reports.
- Provide legal guidance on laws and regulations regarding cooperatives to program leads.
- Ensure impartiality, and confidentiality of beneficiaries, at all times, is respected.
- Work in close coordination with the law firm contracted by WHH on individual and group legal counselling sessions.
- Participate in external legal counsellor groups and internal legal support working group and sharing relevant updates from these meetings with the law firm with which WHH is contracted.
- Regularly monitor the law firm contracted by WHH.
- Record cases supported by the law firm into the WHH database system
- Provide support to people who need legal advice at the implementing partner's office on a regular basis.
- Provide legal seminars for people whose needs are assessed by the implementing partner.
- Education: University in Law degree along with legal ability to practice law in Türkiye and active membership of Turkish Bar Association.
- Work Experience: 3 years’ work experience in NGO (in paid or voluntary capacity) preferably experience in Southeast of Turkey and/or with semi-nomadic groups and SGBV survivors is an asset.
- Knowledge on refugee law, regulations and implementation in Türkiye context.
- Flexibility, proactivity, enthusiasm, and willingness to learn from others.
- Good level of knowledge and practice with Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.
- Social Skills;
- Good negotiation and problem-solving skills, proven communication, interpersonal, representation skills.
- Language Skills:
- Fluency in Turkish and English is required.
- Language Skills:
- Working knowledge of Arabic or Kurdish is advantageous.
- Understanding rights and protection issues of refugees, children, and women.
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships in a multi-ethnic, multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary environment.
- Excellent analytical, organizational and facilitation skills.
- Strong problem solving and organizational skills.
- Experience in using mobile data collection tools, and/or other smartphone applications
- Experience in working with migrants, refugees, internally displaced persons, victims of trafficking and other vulnerable groups; and, ability to summarize disparate information in a clear and concise manner.
- Being able to travel.
We offer you the opportunity to work in a responsible and interesting field as part of an extremely dedicated team. Welthungerhilfe attaches great importance to the personal and professional development of its employees and the balance of their work and private life. Remuneration is based on our gender-independent salary scale. In addition, Welthungerhilfe offers numerous other benefits.
WHH receives funds from its donors for projects. If necessary funds are secured the duration of the announced post may be extended. If project funding is not secured the activities will stop completely and the employment contract shall be terminated.
Please send your application via our online recruiting system by November 29, 2022. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Welthungerhilfe reserves the right to fill in the position before the deadline due to urgency.
Please read the privacy notice.
WHH TURKEY JOB CANDIDATE PRIVACY NOTICE
This Privacy Notice was drafted by Deutsche Welthungerhilfe e.V. Turkey Representation Office (“WHH Turkey”) as data controller in accordance with Article 10 of the Turkish Law No 6698 on the Protection of Personal Data (“Law”) and the Communiqué on the Principles and Procedures in Conforming with the Obligation to Inform.
On the legal bases referred to in Article 5, “the processing activity is necessary for establishment, use or protection of a right” and “the processing is necessary for the conclusion or fulfilment of a contract”, WHH Turkey shall process your name-surname, e-mail address, mobile phone no, references and CV/résumé personal data for carrying out selection and placement processes for job candidates, and transfer them to third party suppliers through your applications to published WHH Turkey job ads via employment agencies or sending your CV/résumé to WHH Turkey directly by wholly or partly automatic means. Additionally, WHH Turkey is going to get in touch with your references assuming that all obligatory information is given, and consents are obtained by your side about sharing their personal data with WHH Turkey.
You may submit your requests to WHH Turkey under Article 11 of the Law concerning the rights of the data subject in accordance with the Communiqué on the Procedures and Principles of Application to a Data Controller.
*Welthungerhilfe values diversity and ensures an inclusive, non-discriminatory working environment. We welcome applications from suitably qualified people from all sections of the community.