Are you aiming to work for an organization where it is worthwhile investing your personality, your skills and your time? Are you looking for a job that is exciting and has clear goals? Welcome to Welthungerhilfe!
We are one of the largest and most respected private organisations for development cooperation and humanitarian aid in Germany. As a politically and confessionally independent organisation, our value-oriented actions are always based on ethical principles. Our vision is clear: "Zero Hunger by 2030" - If you want to become part of our global mission to end hunger in Turkey, Syria and Lebanon, we look forward to receiving your application as: Legal Counsellor in GAZİANTEP.
The main aim of this project is continuing the urgent support for vulnerable Syrian refugees, host communities and other non-Syrian refuges according to UNHCR”s one-refugee approach with self-implementation in the provinces of Gaziantep and Hatay and other parts of the region through referral services with UN organisations, other (I)NGOs and local authorities.
The planned activities revolve around the provision of an integrated and multi-sectoral protection support with case management and special needs funds (SNF) as the main part and reinforced by further services such as nutrition counselling, emergency shelter repair and legal aid. In addition, CVA-based COVID-19 related and winterization support, complementary to the Emergency Social Safety Net (ESSN), would continue. Exacerbated by the COVID-19 pandemic and its impact on both refugee and host communities, the need to provide multi-layered, multi-sectoral support to service providers have increased immensely. This project will be self-implemented by WHH through the existing capacities in its Gaziantep and Hatay offices based on existing projectswhich will be merged in the new project. Strong coordination relationships with governmental organizations and local authorities exist in both cities.
The position is to be filled by May, 2021, with a contract duration until 31/12/2021. Employment location will be [[Gaziantep]], Turkey. The position is paid according to [[paygrade]].
The Legal Counsellor is responsible to provide direct counselling to refugees with legal needs, provide technical support to the case management team for case follow up and organize awareness raising activities for refugees, if needed. He/she will advocate for vulnerable refugees and/or high-risk cases to access their rights. The Legal Counsellor will represent WHH vis-a-vis other NGOs, in coordination efforts with local authorities and other stakeholders for protection related matters.
WHH receives funds from its donors for its projects. Whenever necessary funds are provided the duration of the announced post may be extended, ifenough fund cannot be found, the activities will stop completely or partially before the envisaged date and the employment contract shall be terminated.
Responsibilities of Legal Counsellor:
Technical advice and guidance
- Provide individual counselling to beneficiaries on legal rights and obligations
- Conduct the case management steps for legal cases, closely work and follow up with case management team
- Supervise case management team for their cases’ legal problems
- Apply to public institutions on behalf of beneficiaries or accompany them there when necessary
- Identify and report the needs of legal information among refugee community, plan and implement awareness raising activities accordingly
- Monitor the data and trends in protection, especially for refugees’ registration and access to services, and report them as required.
- Engage with relevant stakeholders (counterparts in project partners, other NGOs, bar associations international organisations and public institutions) for cooperation and case referrals
- Conduct case-based advocacy, especially for high-risk cases, through petition writing, applying to relevant institutions and other proper methods
- Support and contribute to content creation of information material for dissemination
- Regularly follow up updates of legislation and legal practices regarding refugees in Turkey, provide timely inputs and feedback to project management by clarification on legal language
- Actively participate in cluster/coordination meetings and ensure effective information flow for updates.
Reporting and Communications:
- Weekly and/or monthly-based reporting to Head of Project
- Sustain relations with stakeholders in the field
- Work closely with WHH Case Management team, Social Worker and Project Officer
- Coordinate with different departments within the organization upon request of the management team
- Attend and feedback to relevant coordination meetings, clusters and/or working groups
- Represent WHH towards other NGOs in protection sector, as well as public institutions
- Respect confidentiality of work contents and rights of the clients
- Maintain professional boundaries at all times
In addition to the above, the Legal Counsellor may be asked to carry out other duties requested by the Head of Project.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree of Law from reputable a university in Turkey. Proven academic studies in human rights, refugee law and migration management would be highly desirable. Certified trainings on refugee protection and humanitarian work standards are assets.
Work Experience: At least 2 years of experience in refugee protection projects in a similar position.
- Previous working experience in NGOs and/or international organizations is a must
- Previous experience in working in accordance to international standards of case management, child protection, SGBV is highly desirable
- Knowledge of the Turkey refugee context (Syrian and non-Syrian) and of relevant legislation is a must.
- Excellent command of legislation regarding refugees
- Experience of face-to-face information provision to refugees
- Sound knowledge of protection and case management
- Experience in organizing awareness raising activities for groups
- Good presentation skills
- Good command of Microsoft office tools (MS Word, MS Excel, Outlook at a minimum)
- Good team player, strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work within different cultural environments
- Self-motivated and able to work proactively
- Ability to motivate and develop skills of others
- Decision-making skills and problem-solving ability
- Very good communication skills
- Attentive to details
- Language Skills: Excellent command of English and Turkish (written and spoken). Knowledge of Arabic is an asset.
The Legal Counsellor will be obliged to maintain confidentiality regarding all information obtained in the course of his/her work during the employment at Welthungerhilfe and thereafter.
We offer you the opportunity to work in a responsible and interesting field as part of an extremely dedicated team. Welthungerhilfe attaches great importance to the personal and professional development of its employees and the balance of their work and private life. Remuneration is based on our gender-independent salary scale. In addition, Welthungerhilfe offers numerous other benefits.
Please send your application via our online recruiting system by April 25, 2021.
WHH TURKEY JOB CANDIDATE PRIVACY NOTICE
This Privacy Notice was drafted by Deutsche Welthungerhilfe e.V. Turkey Representation Office (“WHH Turkey”) as data controller in accordance with Article 10 of the Turkish Law No 6698 on the Protection of Personal Data (“Law”) and the Communiqué on the Principles and Procedures in Conforming with the Obligation to Inform.
On the legal bases referred to in Article 5, “the processing activity is necessary for establishment, use or protection of a right” and “the processing is necessary for the conclusion or fulfilment of a contract”, WHH Turkey shall process your name-surname, e-mail address, mobile phone no, references and CV/résumé personal data for carrying out selection and placement processes for job candidates, and transfer them to third party suppliers through your applications to published WHH Turkey job ads via employment agencies or sending your CV/résumé to WHH Turkey directly by wholly or partly automatic means. Additionally, WHH Turkey is going to get in touch with your references assuming that all obligatory information is given, and consents are obtained by your side about sharing their personal data with WHH Turkey.
You may submit your requests to WHH Turkey under Article 11 of the Law concerning the rights of the data subject in accordance with the Communiqué on the Procedures and Principles of Application to a Data Controller.
*Welthungerhilfe values diversity and ensures an inclusive, non-discriminatory working environment. We welcome applications from suitably qualified people from all sections of the community.