Title: Liaison Coordinator
Location: Gaziantep with frequent travels to other cities such as Ankara, Istanbul (or other cities where RI representation is needed). Travel outside of Gaziantep (20-30%).
Reporting to: Country Director (CD)
Duration: 6 months, contingent on funding
ABOUT Relief International.
Relief International (RI) is a leading nonprofit organization working in 16 countries to relieve poverty, ensure well-being and advance dignity. We specialize in fragile settings, responding to natural disasters, humanitarian crises and chronic poverty.
Relief International combines humanitarian and development approaches to provide immediate services while laying the groundwork for long-term impact. Our signature approach — which we call the RI Way—emphasizes local participation, an integration of services, strategic partnerships and a focus on civic skills. In this way, we empower communities to find, design and implement the solutions that work best for them.
RI includes the four corporate members of the RI Alliance: RI-US, RI-UK, MRCA/RI-France and RI-Europe. Under our alliance agreement, we operate as a single, shared management structure.
RI is active in 16 countries around the world, including some of the most fragile: Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Iran, Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon, Myanmar, Pakistan, Philippines, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan, Syria, Turkey, and Yemen. Often, RI is the only organization providing assistance to highly vulnerable communities.
RI employs 7,000+ staff and auxiliary workers
97% of staff are local nationals
We only have some 90 ex-pat staff out of 7,000+
RI spent $150 million in 2019 on our programs
Often, RI is the only organization providing assistance to highly vulnerable communities.
RI invests in four broad program sectors: Economic Opportunity, Education, Health, and Water, Sanitation and Hygiene. We design our programs to incorporate The RI Way: local participation, integrated programming, the development of civic skills, and complementary partnerships including with local NGOs, governments, and the private sector. RI supports solutions that reinforce and improve upon existing in-country systems. Where such systems do not exist or are chronically underperforming, RI’s crisis response lays the foundation for long-term, sustainable change.
About our Country Program/ Regional Programs:
Middle East Region
RI in the Middle East has programs in six countries - Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon, Syria, Turkey and Yemen, with a focus on the 4 main RI sectors: Health, WASH, Education and Economic Opportunity.
Relief International currently employs 3900 staff (direct and indirect) in the region and has a range of emergency response and development programs valued at 70 million USD on an annual basis
The Liaison Coordinator will play a key role in the implementation of Turkey-based programs in Turkiye and Syria, ensuring close collaboration with key external stakeholders, including the UN System, Governments (at all levels including Ministerial, Directorate, Municipal, Provincial and Community based), Media Sector, International and National Civil Society Organizations and the Private Sector. RI is seeking an experienced professional that can maintain and strengthen existing relationships, develop new partnerships to advance RI programs such as Health and Education sectors and contribute to all levels of external representation. The professional will play an integral role in ensuring that RI’s reputation is safeguarded and that humanitarian interests are maintained. The Liaison Coordinator will be a member of the Senior Management Team and the Crisis Management Team and will oversee Country Liaison Officer(s) and work closely with other RI Turkey departments (Security, HR, Logistics and Operations) and programs.
Key Responsibilities and Duties.
Provide weekly review of Turkish news and social media and provide update to Country Director (CD) and Security Manager (SM). Update should include official and unofficial analysis of security risks, political trends and any other information which could be relevant to the safety or reputation of Turkey Country Program. The frequency of the update may increase or decrease depending on the pace of changes to the context and required flow of information.
Stakeholder Engagement & Representation:
Program and Administrative Support:
Other related tasks that may from time to time
- Uphold and promote RI’s commitment to ensuring the safeguarding and safety of the vulnerable communities we serve.
- Consistent with RI’s safeguarding and protection policies, ensure your job related activity and practice is compliant with safeguarding standards.
Experience and skills required for the role.
- Minimum bachelor’s degree in a relevant subject, or other compelling, equivalent work experience.
- 5-7 previous experience in a similar position in an INGO, UN agency or in the private sector. Experience with external liaising and strong knowledge of key interlocutors in Turkey required.
- Fluency in English and Turkish required; ability to also communicate in Arabic a plus.
- Solid management, programming and administration experience required.
- Relevant experience or knowledge of the programmatic aspects of community center management, protection, education, primary health care or WASH is preferred.
- Willingness to travel and work extensively – sometimes at short notice, in difficult places and under long hours – according to a results-based approach.
- A readiness to uphold the highest standards of integrity, adherence to humanitarian principles and standards as well as a commitment to RI’s overall mission
- Proven ability to network and liaise with high-level officials with extreme professionalism.
- Strong skills in analytical thinking, communication, leadership, and writing.
Guided by the humanitarian principles of humanity, neutrality, impartiality, and independence, as well as “Do No Harm,” Relief International Values:
How to apply.
Closing date. Please apply immediately we will be reviewing applicants on a rolling basis, therefore may withdraw the position for the job board closing date.
Please apply by uploading your cover letter and up-to-date CV on our website.
Due to limited resources, only short-listed candidates will be contacted
Relief International is committed to protecting our staff and the communities we work with from abuse and harm including sexual exploitation, sexual abuse and sexual harassment.
All staff are expected to abide by our Code of Conduct.
Recruitment to all roles in Relief International include a criminal records self-declaration, references and other pre-employment checks, which may include police and qualifications checks.