The urgent human rights issues around the world hugely vary and demand well-researched, well-planned and well-managed creative campaigns despite time pressures that surround them.
Amnesty International Turkey is looking for a self-motivated individual who thrives on a team but can work independently; is tech-savvy and comfortable; is using campaigning tactics and tools including digital ones to mobilize communities; able to keep up with the pace of rapid-response campaigning; has substantial understanding of human rights; is an excellent writer with acute attention to detail; has advanced communications skills and is a quick learner, and able to think outside the box and craft compelling content under short timeframes.
Finally, Amnesty International needs someone who is committed to working for a better world: One where human rights are respected and protected by everyone, everywhere.
ABOUT AMNESTY INTERNATIONAL
Amnesty International is an internationally renowned global movement of more than 10 million people campaigning to ensure that human rights are respected and protected and to prevent human rights violations. Its vision is of a world in which every person enjoys all of the human rights enshrined in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and other international human rights instruments.
AI Turkey is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of such as gender, race, ethnic origin, national origin, age, religion, sexual orientation, sexual identity, and culture. Individuals from minority groups, women, LGBTI+’s, and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
AI Turkey does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
ABOUT THE ROLE
In this role, you will contribute to Amnesty's human rights impact through strategic planning, implementation and evaluation of innovative campaigns, in line with the vision, mission and the long-term strategy of AI Turkey, to ensure everyone is able to enjoy human rights equally. In-depth knowledge on the area of women's and LGBTI+ rights will be preferred.
Your role will include originating copy and editing submissions, managing petitions, seeding content, providing strategic advice on the campaigning tactics and tools, and speaking on behalf of Amnesty, meeting with decisionmakers, partner organisations, supporters, activists and members, researching and implementing new tools for campaigning and managing projects for human rights impact.
This is a full-time position based in Istanbul. Ordinary working hours for full time employee will be 8 hours per day including lunch breaks from Monday to Friday, 5 days in a week. The job holder might be required to work outside office hours, including working weekends or evenings, on occasion. The job holder does also require to be on call from time to time.
- Strategy and Planning: In accordance with AI Turkey’s long-term section strategy, develop strategies and action plans of the campaigns under their responsibility in collaboration with different teams within the Turkey Section (AITR) and International Secretariat (AIIS), and external partners.
- Implementation: Carry out planned campaigns, projects and activities. Work under limited supervision when coordinating the activities in the Action Plan, and under midlevel supervision in reactive works. Responsible for the presence and influence of the campaigns. Follow and implement policies and procedures of the international movement and the Section; contribute to their improvement and lead their implementation in the team. Responsible to abide by these policies and procedures in all their actions. Explain relevant policies to colleagues in the fields of work under their responsibility.
- Reporting and Analysis: Monitor budget, evaluate results and report regularly to the line manager. Ensure effective reporting of campaign activities to have the status and results of all activities monitored. Before and after each campaign, make an assessment and benefit from the lessons learned in ongoing and future activities.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Substantial knowledge of human rights needed, and in-depth knowledge of gender preferred.
- Minimum 3 years’ demonstrated experience of working in campaigns and/or communication projects, ideally in an NGO.
- Excellent written and spoken Turkish and English.
- Knowledge and experience of developing, delivering, managing and optimizing effective campaigns.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and experience with individuals and groups in different positions and with varying backgrounds inside and outside the organization.
Please follow the link https://www.amnesty.org.tr/public/uploads/files/%C4%B0lan/AI%20TR%20Campaigner%20JD-06-22.pdf to see the job description for the full list of and details on responsibilities, skills and experience required.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates, please send a CV and a Cover letter (in a separate file of no more than 500 words) in English describing how your skills and experience match the requirements of this post to firstname.lastname@example.org with REF: CC2201 in the subject line by July 17, 2022 (COB).
Kindly mention your full name and CV or COVER words as file names for your CV and cover letter (i.e. Ayşe Yılmaz CV, Ayşe Yılmaz COVER).
Applications in languages other than English and received after the deadline will not be reviewed. Please also note that the interview will be conducted in English. ONLY applicants who are legally able to work in Turkey will be considered, the position requires native Turkish speakers.
Amnesty Turkey is not able to respond to every applicant individually due to the anticipated high number of applications. We thank all applicants; however, only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interviews. If you do not hear from us until 27th of July 2022, please assume that you have not been short-listed.