Vacancy Notice Number:
MEAL Enumerator/ On-call Field Support
Istanbul – Turkey
Deadline of Applications:
31 January 2022
Number of Vacant Positions:
Internal & External Candidates
With the crisis in Syria in its 7th year, a political solution is still to be found as the conflict remain unresolved and the heavy fighting between the government and opposition forces has continued throughout the country generating regional refugee crisis. 3.9 million Syrian refugees are living in neighboring countries, with over 2.7 million in Turkey. While over 260,000 Syrians are living in 25 camps across Turkey, the remaining 2.5 million (accounting for 90%) live outside of camps in urban and rural areas throughout the country.
In line with the Regional Refugee and Resilience Plan (3RP), IOM is providing multiservice assistance for Syrians including transportation, NFIs, support to food kitchens, voucher distributions, and support to community centers. Under the overall supervision of the Senior MEAL Assistant and the direct supervision of the MEAL Assistant the selected candidate will perform following responsibilities:
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
Under overall supervision of MEAL Officer and direct supervision of MEAL Assistant, the candidate will perform the following tasks:
- Support MEAL Assistant in FGDs organization process and documentation.
- Administration of quantitative and qualitative data for IOM projects during activity, process, post assistance and outcome monitoring and recording beneficiary responses as instructed.
- Follow confidentiality and security procedures to ensure respondent privacy is protected.
- Conduct initial data quality review at field level before submission to the team leader.
- Support collection and documentation of beneficiary feedback during field monitoring visits and share with MEAL Assistant.
- Conducting follow up calls to beneficiaries to gather their feedback and closing the feedback in consultation with MEAL Assistant.
- Ensure that appropriate tools are used for data collection and documentation through verification with the MEAL Assistant before data collection.
- Use MEAL gadgets allocated for data collection appropriately and managed well at field level.
- Comply with the requirements necessary for conducting a successful interview and ensuring beneficiary consent before interviews.
- Support MEAL Assistant in information provision sessions to beneficiaries in the field and through help center.
- Support MEAL Assistant in distribution of visibility materials for IOM in the field.
- Complete any other tasks given by line managers.
- High school and/or equivalent training/experience in relevant field.
- Knowledge in Monitoring and Evaluation.
- Previous experience in data collection or relevant field experience.
- Proven ability in translation from/to Turkish to/from English is required;
- Proven ability to consolidate and validate information from multiple sources;
- Proven ability to work with presentation software, e.g. Microsoft PowerPoint is a must;
- Knowledge in advance excel, power-BI, and statistical analysis, preferred;
- Experience in M&E implementation and community-based feedback mechanism is an asset
- Fluency in Turkish and English is required.
- Working knowledge of Arabic/Urdu is advantageous.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity:
Shows respect and sensitivity towards gender, culture, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, political conviction and other differences.
• Encourages the inclusion of all team members and stakeholders while demonstrating the ability to work constructively with people with different backgrounds and orientations.
• Promotes the benefits of diversity; values diverse points of view and demonstrate this in daily work and decision making.
• Challenges prejudice, biases and intolerance in the workplace.
- Integrity and transparency:
Upholds and promotes the Standards of Conduct and Unified Staff Regulations and Rules.
• Delivers on commitments; manages the organization’s resources reliably and sustainably.
• Embraces and encourages transparency, balancing this with the need for discretion and confidentiality as appropriate.
• Maintains impartiality and takes prompt action in cases of unprofessional or unethical behaviour.
• Does not abuse one’s position and acts without consideration of personal gain. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns.
Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter and willingness to improve knowledge and skills.
• Seeks to raise professional standards in self and others through daily work and activities.
• Adapts quickly to change and is decisive and versatile in face of uncertainty.
• Shows self-control and persistence when faced with difficult problems and remains calm in stressful situations.
• Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1
• Establishes strong relationships with colleagues and partners; relates well to people at all levels.
• Is fully aware of the team purpose, respects and understands individual and collective responsibilities.
• Willingly puts in extra effort without being asked and adopts a "hands-on" approach whenever necessary to achieve team objectives.
• Coordinates own work with that of the team to meet agreed priorities and deadlines.
- Delivering Results:
•Produces quality results and provides quality services to clients.
• Meets goals and timelines for delivery of products or services.
• Manages time and resources efficiently, monitoring progress and making adjustments as necessary.
• Shows understanding of own role and responsibilities in relation to expected results.
- Managing and sharing knowledge:
•Keeps abreast of new developments in own field of competence and creates opportunities for knowledge management initiatives.
• Shares knowledge and learning willingly, and proactively seeks to learn from the experiences of others.
• Puts new learning into practice and draws on diverse sources of ideas and inspiration.
• Contributes to the identification of improvements to work processes and assists in implementing them.
•Accepts personal responsibility for quality and timeliness of work.
• Takes ownership of all responsibilities within own role and honours commitments to others and to the Organization.
• Operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules.
• Accepts and gives constructive criticism; acknowledges and corrects mistakes and apply lessons learned for improvement.
•Presents information using language and sequence of ideas that is easy for recipients to understand.
• Adapts communication to the recipient’s needs, asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication.
• Encourages others to share their views, using active listening to demonstrate openness and to build understanding of different perspectives.
• Listens carefully and genuinely to the views and positions of others; acts on received information.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
Please be advised that this is a local position and as such only applications from candidates with a valid residence / working permit residing in Turkey will be considered.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application, including the most recent CV with a cover letter in English with contact details (name, position, phone and e-mail details) of three references by indicating name of the position applied with its VN number in the subject line of e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or to IOM Birlik Mahallesi Sehit Kurbani Akboga Sokak No:24 Cankaya, Ankara by the end of 31 January 2022.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
With 165 member states, a further 8 states holding observer status and offices in over 100 countries, IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM works to help ensure the orderly and humane management of migration, to promote international cooperation on migration issues, to assist in the search for practical solutions to migration problems and to provide humanitarian assistance to migrants in need, including refugees and internally displaced people.
The IOM Constitution recognizes the link between migration and economic, social and cultural development, as well as to the right of freedom of movement.
- Project Assistant (CBA – (Cash Based Assistant))- re-advertised
- Senior Monitoring and Evaluation Assistant
- Project Assistant (Case Management)
- Project Field Coordinator
- Operations Assistant (AVRR)
- Project Assistant (AVRR)
- Project Assistant (AVRR)
- Project Administrative Assistant (AVRR)
- Project Assistant (Community Engagement and Social Activities)
- Consultant (Monitoring and Evaluation (CCCM, Protection and Health)
- Consultant (Monitoring & Evaluation (Transition and Recovery))
- Senior Database Assistant
- Project Assistant (Outreach)
- Finance Assistant (Budget)
- Operations Assistant (Field Support – Correspondence)-re-advertised
- Operations Assistant (Field Support – Correspondence)-re-advertised
- On Call Project Assistant (Livelihood)-re-advertised