Vacancy Notice Number:
Medical Escort (Psychiatrist) – On-call basis
Istanbul - Turkey
Number of People to be hired:
29 October 2021
Under the overall guidance of the Director for Migration Health Services in Geneva, the direct supervision of the Chief Medical Officer based in IOM Turkey or at the regional office or in Geneva/Headquarters for medical and technical matters, and the supervision of the IOM Chief of Mission, Head of Office or Head of Operations for administrative/operations matters, the incumbent will provide health assistance to the migrants during all phases of their journey under IOM care, which would include medical escort, operational support, pre-departure health checks and general assistance such as seating, help with meals and attending to personal hygiene.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Reviews all files of refugees/migrants known to have significant medical conditions and communicating the findings with the IOM physician.
- Evaluates the assigned migrant(s) prior to departure for their fitness
- Receives the migrant(s) at the Receiving Point in Turkey, provide the migrant(s) with escort services throughout the journey, and handover the migrant(s) to the designated Receiving Party at the designated place in the Country of Destination.
- Ensures that special services (i.e. medications, oxygen, stretcher, others) needed are available; again, special equipment/facilities may require up to two weeks’ notice to airlines.
- Responsible for bringing a medical escort bag provided by IOM, with additional medications and medical equipment related to specific needs of the travelling migrants. The escort is expected to return the kit upon completion of tasks and maintain an accurate inventory of supplies used during travel and inform IOM at the base mission accordingly.
- The escort should introduce him/herself to cabin staff, advising that he/she will be available to assist in any way at all with migrants during travel particularly in case of large groups and when no other IOM operation escort staff is/are on board. It is important for medical escorts to understand that their responsibility might not be limited to the medical care of the escorted migrant but that can be extended to general in-flight and on-the-ground support to passengers travelling under the auspices of IOM as circumstances allow.
- Ensures that the to-be-escorted individual and other IOM passengers are fit for travel and do not pose any health threat to other passengers on the aircraft.
- Reserves the right to cancel any persons from a flight after evaluating the clinical condition of the migrant in coordination with the IOM physician. The medical escort should immediately notify the IOM Migration Health Services Unit and the Operations staff of such events that may cause delays/alterations of the operation as planned.
- Attends to the escorted migrants’ in-flight and disembarkation needs up to the final destination.
- Ensures of having obtained the emergency phone numbers/ addresses of IOM offices and/or operations staff at the port of entry/final destination for any required medical and operation assistance.
- In case there is no IOM operations staff assisting the medical escort, he/she should obtain the necessary address of hospitals/health centres at the destination/port of entry for any unforeseen event.
- Endorses the escorted migrant to his/her family, representative from the sponsoring volunteer agency, or the IOM Operations staff, or appropriate health care personnel at the final destination and obtain written evidence of the hand-over.
- Upon handover of the migrant(s) to the receiving party, get the signature from the receiving party to Migrant Handover Notification filled in and signed by the medical escort.
- Submits a completed Medical Flight Report Form and Migrant Handover Notification to the IOM Mission and the relevant MHS Unit involved within 2 days after the completion of tasks.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- University Degree in Medicine.
- At least five years of experience in clinical practice; Compassionate attitude to the patients.
- Willingness and ability to work in difficult conditions.
- Cultural and gender sensitivity: ability to work with the colleagues with different cultural backgrounds.
- English. Proficiency in Arabic and other languages are advantage
- Fluency in Arabic & English- both spoken and written – is required.
- Other languages are an advantage.
Required Competencies Mandatory Readings:
- IOM GUIDANCE FOR MEDICALLY ASSISTED MOVEMENTS IOM Guidelines for Medical Escorts (2013)
- IOM SOP GUIDELINES FOR MEDICAL ESCORT SERVICES (2013)
- Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms
- Client Orientation – works effectively well with clients and stakeholders
- Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others
- Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
- Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services
- Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
- Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others.
- Planning and Organizing - plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
- Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter
- Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation.
- Technological Awareness - displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
- Resource Mobilization - works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
- An all-inclusive remuneration will be paid through bank transfer upon receipt and approval of Escort Report’s Form and satisfactory services in accordance with the Contract. The above all-inclusive remuneration covers your fees, lodgings, meals and any other personal expenses during your duty under this Contract. IOM will cover air tickets.
The other countries
The Medical Escort is expected to carry out his/her duties in accordance with strictest moral and ethical standards and with due respect for gender and socio-cultural differences of the migrants. The Medical Escort is likewise responsible for having a valid passport (validity of which should be not less than six months remaining) and visa(s) of respective countries (e.g. US, UK, Canada and Schengen countries).
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
Please be advised that this is a local position and as such only applications from candidates with a valid residence / working permit residing in Turkey will be considered.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application including the most recent CV with a cover letter in English with contact details (name, position, phone and e-mail details) of three references by indicating name of the position applied with its VN number in the subject line of the e-mail or to IOM Birlik Mahallesi Sehit Kurbani Akboga Sok. No:24 06610, Çankaya, Ankara Turkey by the end of 29 October 2021.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
With 165 member states, a further 8 states holding observer status and offices in over 100 countries, IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM works to help ensure the orderly and humane management of migration, to promote international cooperation on migration issues, to assist in the search for practical solutions to migration problems and to provide humanitarian assistance to migrants in need, including refugees and internally displaced people.
The IOM Constitution recognizes the link between migration and economic, social and cultural development, as well as to the right of freedom of movement.
- Project Field Coordinator
- Project Assistant (Social Services)
- Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) Assistant re-advertised
- Communications Assistant (Videographer/Photographer)– re-advertised
- Senior Project Assistant (WASH)
- Project Assistant (Protection) re-advertised
- On-call Enumerator
- On-call Enumerator
- On-call Enumerator
- On-call Interpreter
- Project Assistant (Livelihood) re-advertised