Vacancy Notice Number:
Migrant Service Assistant
Istanbul – Turkey
6 months Special Short Term Graded Contract (G4)– with possible extension
Deadline of Applications:
04 December 2020
Number of People to be hired
Internal and External Candidates
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Under the overall supervision of the Family Assistance Program (FAP) Project Coordinator and the direct supervision of the Team Leader, and the administration supervision of the Head of Sub-Office, the successful candidate will be based in Istanbul and will be accountable and responsible for assisting the streamlining of applicant case processing and guiding family members on the German Family Reunification (FR) visa application process, which includes how to correctly complete the required forms and support documentation checklists.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Take responsibility for the day-to-day assistance to beneficiaries in the FAP Centre;
- Provide excellent migrant service to applicants at all times, in full compliance with the Service Standards;
- Assist and guide migrants in the completion of the online visa application form as per checklists and conduct completeness checks on all documentation before their visa appointment;
- Complete questionnaires on behalf of applicants while ensuring accuracy of the information and verifying the consistency of the information in the questionnaires with the documentation provided;
- Provide migrants with accurate information in a timely manner and distribute information sheets, Integration Handbook and visa requirement checklists; assisting with telephone and e-mail inquiries from clients (including requirements for submitting visa applications); and informing clients of any changes to visa requirements or submission procedures;
- Organize the files of the applicants in the required order based on the instructions of the German Consular staff in IOM-designated folders for applicants to submit to the Consulate at their scheduled interview time, and in full compliance with the IOM Service Standards;
- Maintain high level of accuracy of data capture, by ensuring that the information collected and recorded in the case management system are correct, complete and updated at all time;
- Answer questions and provide remote guidance on form completion, visa requirements and general information to families and principle applicants;
- Schedule appointments while ensuring appointment system for applicants in FAP is operated effectively;
- Maintain records of all applications and contact with principle applicants and report these records periodically in a timely manner;
- Inform management of any problems or issues immediately while regularly suggesting how to improve efficiency and service;
- Take active steps to mitigate fraud and malfeasance, and to monitor the integrity of records containing individual data; and,
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned.
- University degree or equivalent in Business Management, Social Science or related discipline preferred; or an equivalent combination of education, training and at least 2 years’ experience;
- Minimum 2 years of relevant professional experience in a similar setting & capacity preferred; Demonstrated ability to maintain accuracy & confidentiality in performing responsibilities;
- Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office applications, including Excel, PowerPoint, Good knowledge of information technology and proficiency in Microsoft Office applications especially Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Publisher;
- Previous work experience in international organizations and service industry companies would be an advantage; and,
- Strong interpersonal and intercultural skills with an attention to detail.
- Fluency in English and Turkish is required.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity:
Shows respect and sensitivity towards gender, culture, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, political conviction and other differences.
- Integrity and transparency:
Upholds and promotes the Standards of Conduct and Unified Staff Regulations and Rules.
• Delivers on commitments; manages the organization’s resources reliably and sustainably.
• Embraces and encourages transparency, balancing this with the need for discretion and confidentiality as appropriate.
Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter and willingness to improve knowledge and skills.
• Shows self-control and persistence when faced with difficult problems and remains calm in stressful situations.
• Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1
- Teamwork: Establishes strong relationships with colleagues and partners; relates well to people at all levels.
• Is fully aware of the team purpose, respects and understands individual and collective responsibilities.
• Willingly puts in extra effort without being asked and adopts a "hands-on" approach whenever necessary to achieve team objectives.
• Coordinates own work with that of the team to meet agreed priorities and deadlines.
- Delivering Results:
•Produces quality results and provides quality services to clients.
• Meets goals and timelines for delivery of products or services.
• Shows understanding of own role and responsibilities in relation to expected results.
- Managing and sharing knowledge:
• Shares knowledge and learning willingly, and proactively seeks to learn from the experiences of others.
•Accepts personal responsibility for quality and timeliness of work.
• Operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules.
• Accepts and gives constructive criticism; acknowledges and corrects mistakes and apply lessons learned for improvement.
- Presents information using language and sequence of ideas that is easy for recipients to understand.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
Please be advised that this is a local position and as such only applications from candidates with a valid residence / working permit residing in Turkey will be considered.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application including the most recent CV with a cover letter in English with contact details (name, position, phone and e-mail details) of three references by indicating name of the position applied with its VN number in the subject line of the e-mail or to IOM Birlik Mahallesi Sehit Kurbani Akboga Sok. No:24 06610, Çankaya, Ankara Turkey by the end of 04 December 2020.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
With 165 member states, a further 8 states holding observer status and offices in over 100 countries, IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM works to help ensure the orderly and humane management of migration, to promote international cooperation on migration issues, to assist in the search for practical solutions to migration problems and to provide humanitarian assistance to migrants in need, including refugees and internally displaced people.
The IOM Constitution recognizes the link between migration and economic, social and cultural development, as well as to the right of freedom of movement.
- Communications Assistant (Videographer/Photographer)
- Senior Project Assistant (Beneficiary Data Management)
- Project Assistant (WASH)
- On Call Project Assistant (Livelihood)
- Senior Monitoring and Evaluation Assistant
- MEAL Assistant (Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning)
- Senior Project Assistant (Psychosocial Support)
- MEAL Assistant (Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning)
- Project Assistant (Case Management)
- Project Assistant (Social Work)
- Project Assistant (Outreach)
- Project Assistant (Recovery and Stabilization)