Vacancy Notice Number:
Migration Health Nurse (On-Call Basis)
Istanbul – Turkey
Deadline of Applications:
31 July 2019
Under the overall supervision of, the Chief Medical Officer Turkey, and the direct supervision of the Senior Migration Health Nurse IOM Istanbul, the incumbent should assist in execution of a range of health assessment, treatment, immunization and follow-up activities on behalf of IOM’s beneficiaries in Turley. In particular he/she will be:
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assisting IOM Physician during Migration Health Assessments, in particular taking medical history, performing anthropometrics, visual acuity and vital signs measurements.
- Following prescriptions/recommendations given by the doctor, administering the appropriate treatment.
- Monitoring availability of all necessary medical expendables and supplies as well as keeping of materials and drugs (excluding anti-TB drugs) in order that requires:
- checking all the equipment necessary for doctor’s examination;
- checking drugs in the clinic and their expiry dates and making a report at the end of each month;
- preparing/sending information to the Head Nurse about the items necessary for the clinic;
- keeping in order medical kits used by medical escorts and on duty occasions.
- Performing pre-departure checks and treatment for traveling refugees/migrants and preparing a report about the given treatment according to the country of resettlement requirements.
- Take records and assist with invoice verification for the services rendered by partner laboratory and radiology providers.
- Participating in field missions in out of duty stations and as nurse escort of medical cases.
- Maintaining confidentiality of information and collaborative relationship with clients, partners and health professionals.
- Performing any other related duties that may be assigned by the Head of the IOM Clinic
• National diploma of Registered Nurse with a minimum of three years’ work experience in Clinical Nursing
- Previous work experience with an International NGO or a UN Organization, and in a refugee settlement is an advantage. Experience in Migration Heath is a very strong advantage.
- Fluency in Turkish & English
- Knowledge of Arabic is a strong advantage
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioral indicators level 1
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioral indicators level 1
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others and building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
- Resource Mobilization - works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
Please be advised that this is a local position and as such only applications from candidates with a valid residence / working permit residing in Turkey will be considered. The approval of current employer (If applicable) is necessary for holding this position and advance written permission from current employer is necessary before assigned duties.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application including the most recent CV with a cover letter in English with contact details (name, position, phone and e-mail details) of three references by indicating name of the position applied with its VN number and the city applied for in the subject line of the e-mail by the end of 31 July 2019.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
With 165 member states, a further 8 states holding observer status and offices in over 100 countries, IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM works to help ensure the orderly and humane management of migration, to promote international cooperation on migration issues, to assist in the search for practical solutions to migration problems and to provide humanitarian assistance to migrants in need, including refugees and internally displaced people.
The IOM Constitution recognizes the link between migration and economic, social and cultural development, as well as to the right of freedom of movement.