Vacancy Notice Number:
Migration Health Physician - Family Doctor
One Year Fixed Term Graded Contract (NOB) -with possible extension
Ankara - Turkey
Deadline of Applications:
07 October 2021
Number of Vacant Positions:
Internal and External Candidates
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM) and the direct supervision of the Migration Health Officer, Ankara, the successful candidate will be responsible for the carrying out the following duties and responsibilities in relation to the Migration Health Assessment Centre (MHAC) in Ankara, Turkey.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensure the efficient daily operations of the Migration Health Assessment Center (MHAC), in close coordination with the Chief Migration Health Officer (CMHO).
- Conduct the Ankara MHAC’s migration health assessment process to fulfil the technical requirements of the resettlement countries in the areas of:
- Medical examinations;
- Laboratory testing;
- TB management;
- Treatment and referrals;
- Pre-departure procedures and medical movements;
- Documentation, certification and information transmission; and,
- Other technical areas as may be required
- Ensure proper identification of refugees and migrants during the health assessment and record all relevant health information in standard forms; ensuring completeness and accuracy of the recorded information.
- Provide advisories to MHD team on professional paediatric aspects
- Perform treatment for TB and sexually transmitted infections and provide support to the HIV and counselling activities. Oversee and coordinate the management of TB cases to ensure effective TB treatment.
- Oversee and coordinate accurate and effective provision of immunization and presumptive treatment programmes in full compliance with the technical guidelines and protocols of the resettlement countries. Assist CMHO in monitoring, supervising and educating all staff in the delivery of these programmes.
- Contribute to and maintain a system of quality improvement for each service area within the MHAC. Undertake quality control activities on a regular basis, including practice observation, desk audits and use of self-assessment tools. Use data analysis and web reporting system to monitor performance indicators. Ensure implementation of the global IOM Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs); create and implement Ankara MHAC specific SOPs for each service area. Ensure proper reporting and management of incidents according to the Guidance Note for Incident Management.
- Organize systematic collection, processing and analyses of migration health data according to guidelines established by the CMHO. Ensure data quality. Provide periodic, as well as ad-hoc reporting to the CMHO for Migration Health activities.
- Ensure that all data related to heath assessment programmes is appropriately entered to Migrant Management Operational System Application (MiMOSA) and other related databases.
- Oversee the financial aspects of the MHAC in close coordination with the mission's finance staff: supervise budget preparation, suggest adjustments and cost-effective solutions, and review financial reports.
- Provide oversight and coordinate the procurement of medical equipment, vaccines, medications and other medical supplies in coordination with the CMHO and the Resource Management Unit.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned by the Supervisor.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- University degree in Medicine from an accredited academic institution with at least four years of professional work experience.
- Proof of specialization in Family Practice.
- Minimum of four (4) years, post-graduation, (post internship in countries with mandatory internship programs) continuous clinical experience, preferably in a multidisciplinary hospital setting. The last clinical posting should be within the last five years; and,
- Valid license to practice within country is mandatory.
- Fluency in English and Turkish is required.
- Working knowledge of languages used in MENA region is an advantage.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity:
•Shows respect and sensitivity towards gender, culture, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, political conviction and other differences.
• Encourages the inclusion of all team members and stakeholders while demonstrating the ability to work constructively with people with different backgrounds and orientations.
• Promotes the benefits of diversity; values diverse points of view and demonstrate this in daily work and decision making.
• Challenges prejudice, biases and intolerance in the workplace.
- Integrity and transparency:
• Upholds and promotes the Standards of Conduct and Unified Staff Regulations and Rules.
• Delivers on commitments; manages the organization’s resources reliably and sustainably.
• Embraces and encourages transparency, balancing this with the need for discretion and confidentiality as appropriate.
• Maintains impartiality and takes prompt action in cases of unprofessional or unethical behaviour.
• Does not abuse one’s position and acts without consideration of personal gain. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns.
• Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter and willingness to improve knowledge and skills.
• Seeks to raise professional standards in self and others through daily work and activities.
• Adapts quickly to change and is decisive and versatile in face of uncertainty.
• Shows self-control and persistence when faced with difficult problems and remains calm in stressful situations.
• Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Fosters a sense of team spirit by developing a shared understanding, accountability and enthusiasm for the team’s work.
• Displays a high level of cultural awareness, sensitivity to different ways of working and leverages individual strengths in order to build a better team.
• Shares credit for team accomplishments and ensures that the contribution of others is recognized.
• Helps create a positive team spirit, putting aside personal considerations to help the team achieve its goals.
- Delivering results:
•Produces high-quality results and workable solutions that meet clients’ needs.
• Anticipates constraints, identifies solutions and takes responsibility for addressing critical situations.
• Monitors own and others’ work in a systematic and effective way, ensuring required resources and outputs.
• Aligns projects with Organization’s mission and objectives and demonstrates a good understanding of the impact of team’s and own work on external and internal counterparts.
- Managing and sharing knowledge:
•Disseminates and shares knowledge openly and actively contributes to knowledge/network communities for topics relevant to area of expertise.
• Encourages knowledge-sharing across units/departments and ensures that knowledge is captured, recorded and disseminated appropriately.
• Builds networks for the effective communication and exchange of knowledge and ideas and puts others into contact with various sources of knowledge.
• Contributes to an environment that is conducive to innovation and learning.
• Proactively seeks responsibility in delivering towards the goals of the Organization.
• Plans and organizes work with a clear and deliberate focus, ensuring commitments are easily identified and progress is widely communicated.
• Stands by the actions of team or department, publicly accepting ownership.
• Takes responsibility of own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable
•Speaks and writes clearly and effectively.
• Seeks to share information with others, with due respect for diversity and the confidentiality of specific sensitive information.
• Listens and seeks to understand without bias, and responds appropriately.
• Shares information and keeps others up to date; actively seeks others' views and ideas and respects their contribution.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Assigns responsibilities fairly and manages performance, taking account of individual strengths, workloads and interests.
• Is inclusive in decision-making and actively seeks feedback from team members and colleagues in order to identify opportunities for improvement.
• Takes sound and timely managerial decisions that are consistent with the Organization's vision and purpose.
• Establishes and maintains relationships with a broad range of stakeholders to understand needs and gain support.
- Empowering others and building trust:
•Delegates appropriately to make the most of others’ talents, clarifying expectations and allowing autonomy in important areas while providing necessary support.
• Encourages others to take responsibility for their performance; promotes ownership, responsibility and accountability for desired results at all levels.
• Creates an atmosphere of trust and confidence in which others can talk and act without fear of repercussion.
• Gives proper credit to others, shows appreciation and rewards achievement and effort.
- Strategic thinking and vision:
•Aligns own actions to the Organization’s vision, values and mandate.
• Translates strategic direction into short and medium-term plans and objectives for own team; revises objectives to reflect changes in organizational goals.
• Identifies key issues/priorities in complex situations and how they may be related to one another.
• Clearly communicates links between the Organization’s strategy and the work unit’s goals.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
Please be advised that female candidates are highly encouraged and that this is a local position and as such only applications from candidates with a valid residence / working permit residing in Turkey will be considered.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application including the most recent CV with a cover letter in English with contact details (name, position, phone and e-mail details) of three references by indicating name of the position applied with its VN number in the subject line of the e-mail or to IOM Birlik Mahallesi Sehit Kurbani Akboga Sokak No:24 Cankaya, Ankara by the end of 07 October 2021.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
With 165 member states, a further 8 states holding observer status and offices in over 100 countries, IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM works to help ensure the orderly and humane management of migration, to promote international cooperation on migration issues, to assist in the search for practical solutions to migration problems and to provide humanitarian assistance to migrants in need, including refugees and internally displaced people.
The IOM Constitution recognizes the link between migration and economic, social and cultural development, as well as to the right of freedom of movement.
- On-call Interpreter
- HR Intern
- Finance Assistant (Compliance)
- Field Security Assistant (SSAFE)
- Project Assistant (Livelihood)
- Project Assistant (Agriculture)
- HR Assistant
- National Officer (Protection & Psychosocial)
- On Call Project Assistant (Outreach)
- Project Assistant (Outreach) - re-advertised
- Medical Escort (Physician) – On-call basis
- Medical Escort (Psychiatrist) – On-call basis
- Medical Escort (Nurse) - On-Call Basis
- Data Processing Assistant
- Data Processing Assistant
- Data Processing Assistant
- Data Processing Assistant
- Migration Health Nurse
- Migration Health Nurse
- Project Assistant (Special Education)
- Project Assistant (CBCM)
- Senior Project Assistant (MHPSS)- re-advertised
- Project Assistant (Social Services)
- Project Assistant (Community Support and Social Activities)
- Project Assistant (Education)
- Project Assistant (Vocational Guidance)
- Project Assistant (Health)
- Project Field Coordinator
- Logistics Assistant
- Project Assistant
- Senior Project Assistant (Psychosocial Support)- re-advertised
- National Project Officer (Food Security)
- National Project Officer (Early Recovery and Livelihood)
- Senior Project Assistant (Early Recovery and Livelihood)
- Senior Project Assistant (Food Security)