The Syrian Association for Relief and Development (SARD) is a humanitarian non-profit agency that provides emergency relief, rehabilitation, development assistance, and program services to vulnerable communities in Syria. SARD is solely dedicated to reducing human suffering and is non-political and non-sectarian in its mission.
SARD has more than 80 humanitarian workers active in the Northwest of Syria, in partnership with various local and international humanitarian agencies. Up to 50,000 families receive support each year with Food, Shelter, Non-Food Items, WaSH, and Social Support. Field teams are supported by the Turkey-based 10+ staff whose main role is to coordinate, monitor, and report on activities.
The M&E Coordinator oversees the Monitoring and Evaluation Department ensuring that all Social Assessment, M&E, and CRM activities are implemented on time as per established guidelines and budget. The M&E Coordinator provides recommendations to programme teams on how to ensure the development and implementation of high-quality, relevant, efficient, and effective activities.
SARD seeks to establish and implement monitoring and evaluation (M&E) systems that enable improved internal management, programme/project performance, and evidence-based decision-making. SARD Turkey/Syria is guided by the following principal objectives for M&E:
- To ensure that the data gathered about project activities and beneficiaries is relevant, and is used effectively to improve programme quality and impact on target populations.
- To establish practical systems to support evidence-based decision-making, programme and project performance and advocacy.
- To develop processes to improve the quality, reliability, and comparability of data generated across the programme.
- To support the establishment of effective participation and accountability mechanisms.
- ensure that the required human resources and capacity are in place to implement the M&E strategy, including performing quality data collection and analysis.
M&E and Social Assessment
- Develop and update the M&E framework on a regular basis
- Develop and update M&E plans and Indicators Tracking Tables for each project
- Design and update M&E and needs assessment/beneficiary registration tools as per M&E plans, indicators and feedback from field teams
- Develop ToRs for needs assessments and tools as requested by the SARD Director
- Translate tools and support the IM Supervisor in the coding of tools
- Contribute to the development of new proposals and logframe
- Oversee the M&E department’s budget
- Support the IM Supervisor in developing analysis plan for each tool
- Support the IM Supervisor in data analysis
- Ensure that all raw, cleaned and analysed data for the M&E, Social Assessment and CRM teams are archived on the DropBox
- Develop and update Data Protection SOPs and ensure SOPs are followed by all Turkey and Syria based teams/train all SARD teams on Data Protection SOPs
- Contribute to the monthly activity update reports
- Revise monthly monitoring reports and CRM reports
- Produce baseline, end line, PDM and needs assessments reports
Complaint Response Mechanism
- Conduct and train M&E / Social Assessment / CRM teams and any other relevant stakeholders on the CRM
- Assist the CRM Officer in coordinating with other departments and external stakeholders (as relevant) to respond to and close complaints
- Supervise the CRM Officer in any investigation and follow-up regarding complaints and feedback raised by communities
- Ensure that the CRM database is password protected, updated and archived in a protected folder on the Dropbox
- Supervise the WhatsApp CRM line
- Support the CRM Officer in conducting simple analysis on the CRM data and in writing the CRM monthly report
- Set monthly plans and targets for his/her team
- Follow-up with the Supervisors in the implementation of M&E / Social Assessment activities and verify the implementation of work in accordance to the plans
- Participate in kick-off meetings and co-lead lessons learnt meetings
- Represent SARD in external meetings
- Train field teams on new projects (M&E Kick-Off Meetings), on the M&E plans and indicators
- Train field teams on M&E and needs assessment tools and methodology
Staff Management and Code of Conduct
- Ensure that all new team members receive an induction on the M&E department’s role and responsibilities
- Ensure that all M&E, Social Assessment, and CRM activities are conducted in full respect to the humanitarian principles
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally as per SARD’s code of conduct
- Ensure that all new staff in the M&E department receive an induction session on SARD’s PSEA, Child Protection and Safeguarding, and in Protection Mainstreaming
- Any other duties as assigned by SARD Director
Qualifications and Experience
- Minimum of a higher education degree in social science, economics, business administration, management, or related field. Prior experience in monitoring and evaluation is required.
- At least 4-5 years of relevant experience with an international NGO or equivalent experience from the private sector.
- Considerable experience in supervising teams and overseeing the implementation of M&E and accountability activities at the field level.
- Prior experience in M&E training and capacity building. Demonstrated ability to transfer knowledge to diverse audiences through training, mentoring, and other formal and non-formal methods.
- Previous experience in conducting organizational capacity assessments and designing training/capacity-building strategies would be advantageous.
- Good knowledge of participatory approaches and humanitarian accountability frameworks.
- Fluency in Arabic and good proficiency in English (speaking, reading, writing) are essential.
- Strong computer skills including MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook). Familiarity with MS Access or other database software is desirable.
- Knowledge of mobile-phone-based data collection systems is strongly preferred.
- Existing links to researchers/local community representatives in SARD areas of operation and/or proven ability to establish such networks in unfamiliar areas.
How to apply
Interested candidates should send their CV and a cover letter in English mentioning the subject as ‘’ Monitoring and Evaluation Coordinator ‘’ to firstname.lastname@example.org before the closing date of October 12, 2021**.
****Qualified Female Candidates are encouraged to apply****
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Unsuccessful applications will neither be acknowledged nor returned. Please note that applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
Sosyal Araştırma ve Rehabilite Derneği (SARD)
SARD is solely dedicated to reducing human suffering and is non-political and non-sectarian in its mission.
Interventions include food support, non-food items (vouchers for kitchen sets and clothes), winter assistance for clothing and fuel, emergency rehabilitation of houses and buildings, water and sanitation services.