Vacancy Notice Number:
Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) Assistant
6 Months Special Short Term Graded Contract(G5)–with possible extension
Deadline of Applications:
7 June 2020
Number of People to be hired
Internal and External Candidates
The Syria crisis is in its sixth year and millions of Syrians continue to seek refuge in neighboring countries, including Turkey. It is estimated that over 12.2 million individuals inside Syria now require humanitarian assistance and 7.6 million are internally displaced (SRP 2015-2016). Over 4 million Syrians have fled as refugees (UNHCR).
As of 2017, Turkey is hosting over 3.1 million Syrian refugees in both camp and non-camp settings, with the majority residing in South East Turkey and the surrounding areas. Of those living outside of camps, the majority reside in the border provinces, Sanliurfa, Hatay, Gaziantep, as well as the bigger cities of Istanbul, Mersin, and Adana.
IOM's strategy for Turkey as indicated in the 3RP (Regional Refugee and Resilience Plan) is three-pronged; firstly, i) provision of humanitarian assistance focusing on the distribution of food, non-food items, cash vouchers, winterization and provision of transportation, ii) to ease the burden on national and local structures through the establishment of multi-service community centers offering protection and social stabilization for the refugees as well as increase access to education and iii) supporting the resilience of refugees and host communities through livelihoods, community stabilization and income generating activities.
Under the overall supervision of the Senior Programme Development Officer and direct supervision of the M&E Officer, the incumbent shall be responsible for supporting projects monitoring, conducting field monitoring visits, following up on implementation MEAL plans, support strengthening the project M&E capacity, regularly monitor the results to improve project performance; and support reporting and data management.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist in the coordination of qualitative and quantitative data collection processes such as post distribution monitoring (PDM), focus group discussions (FGD), exit interviews, and similar activities, including strengthening capacity of enumerators in qualitative and quantitative data collection.
- For assigned projects, support the M&E Officer to define M&E plans for each project, log frames, and targets, implement the donor’s requirements, monitoring plans and ToRs determining Accountability to Affected Populations (AAP) minimum standard plans and related mechanisms during project inception.
- Support the M&E Officer to develop appropriate qualitative and quantitative monitoring, tracking systems, tools, and templates that enhance monitoring of project outputs and quality, generate quality evidence on project effectiveness and prepare data for decision-making processes.
- Produce summary reports that include graphs, charts, tables, narratives as requested to fulfill internal and external reporting requirements
- Verify the quality of data collected from the field based on validity, timeliness, precision, reliability and integrity of performance data gathered to monitor program performance.
- Orient project staff to MEAL requirements of their projects and their role in ensuring an effective MEAL system for the project during project start-up and planning meetings.
- Provide routine training to project staff on monitoring, evaluation, accountability and learning basics and support project teams to develop targets.
- Assist the M&E Officer in development and implementation of M&E tools according to project log frame and ensuring quality assurance of field data (completeness, reliability, validity, timeliness and integrity).
- Provide technical feedback to Refugee Response Project Officers on M&E findings and follow up on utilization of monitoring results stated in the “Results Monitoring Freamework”.
- Organize, collect, compile and document all program and MEAL-related data and files, ensuring that all records are properly organized and stored
- Conduct regular field visits to project sites, meeting with project counterparts and beneficiaries to follow up on activities and provide verbal and written reports.
- Provide technical assistance to facilitate the application of tools for Humanitarian Accountability (Complaints and response mechanisms) and mechanism of reporting for assigned projects.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned such as coordination and leading monthly MEAL plan development etc.
- University degree in Social Sciences, Statistics or Development Studies, or a related field from an accredited academic institution, with three years of relevant professional experience; or
Completed High school degree from an accredited academic institution, with five years of relevant professional experience.
- Computer/software literate, preferably advanced skills in excel, PowerPoint, SPSS, kobo tool box, ODK and report writing
- Knowledge and experience in qualitative and quantitative data management techniques including proficient and skillful use of SPSS, STATA, EXCEL, Epi-info software’s
- Experience with international humanitarian organizations, non-governmental or governmental institutions/organizations in a multi-cultural setting;
- Knowledge of principles and current approaches to monitoring and evaluation to emergency conflict contexts using quantitative and qualitative methodologies
- Strong knowledge of monitoring and evaluation tools, research methodologies, data quality assurance, quantitative and qualitative data analysis and M&E report writing.
- Ability to summarize disparate information in a clear and concise manner
- Experience building the capacity of individuals and teams
- Fluency in English and Turkish is required.
- Knowledge of Arabic is advantageous.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity:
Shows respect and sensitivity towards gender, culture, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, political conviction and other differences.
• Encourages the inclusion of all team members and stakeholders while demonstrating the ability to work constructively with people with different backgrounds and orientations.
• Promotes the benefits of diversity; values diverse points of view and demonstrate this in daily work and decision making.
• Challenges prejudice, biases and intolerance in the workplace.
- Integrity and transparency:
Upholds and promotes the Standards of Conduct and Unified Staff Regulations and Rules.
• Delivers on commitments; manages the organization’s resources reliably and sustainably.
• Embraces and encourages transparency, balancing this with the need for discretion and confidentiality as appropriate.
• Maintains impartiality and takes prompt action in cases of unprofessional or unethical behaviour.
• Does not abuse one’s position and acts without consideration of personal gain. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns.
Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter and willingness to improve knowledge and skills.
• Seeks to raise professional standards in self and others through daily work and activities.
• Adapts quickly to change and is decisive and versatile in face of uncertainty.
• Shows self-control and persistence when faced with difficult problems and remains calm in stressful situations.
• Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1
- Teamwork: Establishes strong relationships with colleagues and partners; relates well to people at all levels.
• Is fully aware of the team purpose, respects and understands individual and collective responsibilities.
• Willingly puts in extra effort without being asked and adopts a "hands-on" approach whenever necessary to achieve team objectives.
• Coordinates own work with that of the team to meet agreed priorities and deadlines.
- Delivering Results:
•Produces quality results and provides quality services to clients.
• Meets goals and timelines for delivery of products or services.
• Manages time and resources efficiently, monitoring progress and making adjustments as necessary.
• Shows understanding of own role and responsibilities in relation to expected results.
- Managing and sharing knowledge:
•Keeps abreast of new developments in own field of competence and creates opportunities for knowledge management initiatives.
• Shares knowledge and learning willingly, and proactively seeks to learn from the experiences of others.
• Puts new learning into practice and draws on diverse sources of ideas and inspiration.
• Contributes to the identification of improvements to work processes and assists in implementing them.
•Accepts personal responsibility for quality and timeliness of work.
• Takes ownership of all responsibilities within own role and honours commitments to others and to the Organization.
• Operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules.
• Accepts and gives constructive criticism; acknowledges and corrects mistakes and apply lessons learned for improvement.
•Presents information using language and sequence of ideas that is easy for recipients to understand.
• Adapts communication to the recipient’s needs, asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication.
• Encourages others to share their views, using active listening to demonstrate openness and to build understanding of different perspectives.
• Listens carefully and genuinely to the views and positions of others; acts on received information.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
Please be advised that this is a local position and as such only applications from candidates with a valid residence / working permit residing in Turkey will be considered.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application including the most recent CV with a cover letter in English with contact details (name, position, phone and e-mail details) of three references by indicating name of the position applied with its VN number in the subject line of the e-mail or to IOM Birlik Mahallesi Sehit Kurbani Akboga Sok. No:24 06610, Çankaya, Ankara Turkey by the end of 7 June 2020.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
With 165 member states, a further 8 states holding observer status and offices in over 100 countries, IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM works to help ensure the orderly and humane management of migration, to promote international cooperation on migration issues, to assist in the search for practical solutions to migration problems and to provide humanitarian assistance to migrants in need, including refugees and internally displaced people.
The IOM Constitution recognizes the link between migration and economic, social and cultural development, as well as to the right of freedom of movement.