|Vacancy Notice Number:||VN#TR/2019/03|
|Position Title:||National Migration Health Physician|
|Classification:||One Year Fixed Term Contract -with possible extension (NOB)|
|Duty Station:||Istanbul- Turkey|
|Deadline of Applications:||18 January 2019|
|Number of Vacant Positions:||1|
Under the overall guidance of the Chief of Mission, IOM Turkey, the direct supervision of Chief Medical Officer in Istanbul in coordination with the coordinator of Migration Health Assessment Centre Ankara, the incumbent shall perform the following essential functions.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Conducting health assessment for migrant populations according to provided technical instructions, Guidelines/Protocols for migrants and IOM Migration Health Assessment Guidelines under mandate of International Organization for Migration including review chest radiographs, check accuracy and medical documents, suggest corrective measures and ensure client-oriented services
2. Enter medical information and other details into health databases and maintain records to assure appropriate flow of health data.
3. Maintain confidentiality of health information, contribute to fraud prevention, and assure correctness of applicant identification procedures.
4. Coordinate with other IOM departments, IOM in destination countries, and donors to assure smooth implementation of resettlement programme.
5. Take necessary arrangements for addressing significant medical conditions and organizing assistance in accordance with IOM mandate and procedures directly or through health partners, with special focus on: providing info to the migrants, refugees and affected family members, counselling of positive cases, providing treatment or referral for treatment, making necessary medical arrangement including medical escorts, and following up patients where necessary.
6. Conduct Pre-embarkation medical examination, and arrange medical related travel assistance to departing refugees.
7. Ensure and follow up in coordination with medical staff, data processing team and medical health unit, that the following activities are performed in accordance with the technical requirements of the resettlement countries:
8. Pre- Contribute to the analysis and technical elaboration of data gathered from the migration health assessment.
9. Coordinate with the local/national health authorities, physicians, hospitals and laboratories, as needed.
10. In coordination with the CMO liaise with in the health and immigration authorities such as embassies, donors, DIBP, CIC and the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). If requested by CMO, represent MHD in the internal and external meetings.
11. Contribute to maintenance of medical logistics related to refugee health assessment and movement.
12. Act as a medical escort assisting sick refugees and displaced population travelling under auspices of IOM within country or abroad when required.
13. Take part in staff capacity building activities through daily basis technical guidance and provision of training
14. Assist CMO in the preparation, design, analysis and implementation of research activities related to the migration health, tuberculosis and sexually transmitted diseases.
15. Assist CMO in developing potential health and migration projects/programmes for the mission.
16. Performing any other related duties that may be assigned by the direct supervisor.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
Education and Experience:
• University Degree in medicine.
• At least five years of experience in clinical practice; Compassionate attitude to the patients. Good bedside manners.
• Valid local medical license to practice medicine in Turkey.
• Excellent knowledge of the health care system and organization of the specialized health care in Turkey.
• Excellent knowledge of public health, refugee health, Tuberculosis management and international health can be asset
• Computer literacy.
• Willingness and ability to work in difficult conditions.
• Cultural and gender sensitivity: ability to work with the colleagues with different cultural backgrounds.
• Fluency in English is required.
• Arabic is an advantage.
• Effectively applies knowledge of health issues in execution of responsibilities at appropriate level
• Maintains confidentiality and discretion in appropriate areas of work
• The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
Inclusion and respect for diversity:
• Shows respect and sensitivity towards gender, culture, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, political conviction and other differences.
• Encourages the inclusion of all team members and stakeholders while demonstrating the ability to work constructively with people with different backgrounds and orientations.
• Promotes the benefits of diversity; values diverse points of view and demonstrate this in daily work and decision making.
• Challenges prejudice, biases and intolerance in the workplace.
Integrity and transparency:
• Upholds and promotes the Standards of Conduct and Unified Staff Regulations and Rules.
• Delivers on commitments; manages the organization’s resources reliably and sustainably.
• Embraces and encourages transparency, balancing this with the need for discretion and confidentiality as appropriate.
• Maintains impartiality and takes prompt action in cases of unprofessional or unethical behaviour.
• Does not abuse one’s position and acts without consideration of personal gain. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns.
• Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter and willingness to improve knowledge and skills.
• Seeks to raise professional standards in self and others through daily work and activities.
• Adapts quickly to change and is decisive and versatile in face of uncertainty.
• Shows self-control and persistence when faced with difficult problems and remains calm in stressful situations.
• Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Fosters a sense of team spirit by developing a shared understanding, accountability and enthusiasm for the team’s work.
• Displays a high level of cultural awareness, sensitivity to different ways of working and leverages individual strengths in order to build a better team.
• Shares credit for team accomplishments and ensures that the contribution of others is recognized.
• Helps create a positive team spirit, putting aside personal considerations to help the team achieve its goals.
•Produces high-quality results and workable solutions that meet clients’ needs.
• Anticipates constraints, identifies solutions and takes responsibility for addressing critical situations.
• Monitors own and others’ work in a systematic and effective way, ensuring required resources and outputs.
• Aligns projects with Organization’s mission and objectives and demonstrates a good understanding of the impact of team’s and own work on external and internal counterparts.
Managing and sharing knowledge
•Disseminates and shares knowledge openly and actively contributes to knowledge/network communities for topics relevant to area of expertise.
• Encourages knowledge-sharing across units/departments and ensures that knowledge is captured, recorded and disseminated appropriately.
• Builds networks for the effective communication and exchange of knowledge and ideas and puts others into contact with various sources of knowledge.
• Contributes to an environment that is conducive to innovation and learning.
• Proactively seeks responsibility in delivering towards the goals of the Organization.
• Plans and organizes work with a clear and deliberate focus, ensuring commitments are easily identified and progress is widely communicated.
• Stands by the actions of team or department, publicly accepting ownership.
• Takes responsibility of own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable
•Speaks and writes clearly and effectively.
• Seeks to share information with others, with due respect for diversity and the confidentiality of specific sensitive information.
• Listens and seeks to understand without bias, and responds appropriately.
• Shares information and keeps others up to date; actively seeks others' views and ideas and respects their contribution.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Assigns responsibilities fairly and manages performance, taking account of individual strengths, workloads and interests.
• Is inclusive in decision-making and actively seeks feedback from team members and colleagues in order to identify opportunities for improvement.
• Takes sound and timely managerial decisions that are consistent with the Organization's vision and purpose.
• Establishes and maintains relationships with a broad range of stakeholders to understand needs and gain support.
Empowering others and building trust:
•Delegates appropriately to make the most of others’ talents, clarifying expectations and allowing autonomy in important areas while providing necessary support.
• Encourages others to take responsibility for their performance; promotes ownership, responsibility and accountability for desired results at all levels.
• Creates an atmosphere of trust and confidence in which others can talk and act without fear of repercussion.
• Gives proper credit to others, shows appreciation and rewards achievement and effort.
Strategic thinking and vision:
•Aligns own actions to the Organization’s vision, values and mandate.
• Translates strategic direction into short and medium-term plans and objectives for own team; revises objectives to reflect changes in organizational goals.
• Identifies key issues/priorities in complex situations and how they may be related to one another.
• Clearly communicates links between the Organization’s strategy and the work unit’s goals.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
Please be advised that female candidates are encouraged and that this is a local position and as such only applications from candidates with a valid residence / working permit residing in Turkey will be considered.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application including the most recent CV with a cover letter in English with contact details (name, position, phone and e-mail details) of three references by indicating name of the position applied with its VN number in the subject line of the e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or to IOM Birlik Mahallesi Sehit Kurbani Akboga Sokak No:24 Cankaya, Ankara by the end of 18 January 2019.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
With 165 member states, a further 8 states holding observer status and offices in over 100 countries, IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM works to help ensure the orderly and humane management of migration, to promote international cooperation on migration issues, to assist in the search for practical solutions to migration problems and to provide humanitarian assistance to migrants in need, including refugees and internally displaced people.
The IOM Constitution recognizes the link between migration and economic, social and cultural development, as well as to the right of freedom of movement.