Vacancy Notice Number:
National Officer (PSEA Grant) – re-advertised
Gaziantep – Türkiye
6 months Special Short Term Graded Contract (NOA) – with possible extension
Deadline of Applications:
8 December 2022
Number of People to be hired
Internal & External Candidates
Under the administrative supervision of the Head of Sub-Office in IOM Gaziantep and direct supervision of the Protection Against Sexual Exploitation and Abuse (PSEA) - Northwest (NW) Syria Coordinator and in coordination with the Whole-of-Syria Crisis Coordinator in Headquarters (HQ), the successful candidate will monitor and provide support to the day-to-day activities of IOM’s Implementing Partners (IPs) working under the Whole of Syria (WoS) Network.
WoS is a multi-donor Grant implemented by IOM on behalf of United Nations (UN) agencies across all active Syria hubs (Gaziantep, Damascus, and Northeast Syria). The successful candidate will be responsible for organizing and tracking all aspects of grant activities related to IPs, ensuring the thorough administration of all grant requirements from activity identification, development and submission for donor approval, and implementation monitoring towards completion.
In close coordination with PSEA specialists deployed in each hub, the National Officer (grants) will assist in administrating grant activities carried out by IPs, with the overall responsibility of ensuring that IP activities consistently meet programme objectives and IOM standards. S/he will support and maintain the necessary administrative structures and inter-departmental processes, both within the IOM Program and between the program and IOM Mission, to ensure grant transparency, smooth implementation, reporting, requisite controls, and monitoring.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- In collaboration with technical colleagues, monitor and ensure IPs remain in compliance through the grant management cycle including solicitation, pre-award, award, implementation, monitoring, reporting and close-out.
- In close coordination with PSEA specialists deployed in active Syria hubs, provide support in the operational, budgetary, administrative and logistics of the PSEA WoS/regional programme activities and especially those carried out by IOM’s IPs.
- Liaise with relevant departments within IOM such as Legal, M&E, Procurement and Compliance to ensure IOM and donor requirements are being met, coordinate drafting of documents, budgets and guidance when appropriate.
- Track all IP programme activities and expenditures to ensure programmatic and financial recommendations are met in close coordination with the Senior PSEA Coordinator, that all tracking instruments are reconciled and that all activities and funds are implemented and spent in accordance with IOM standards and donor expectations.
- Support timely reporting, including all financial, narrative requirements, and ensure regular and proactive coordination with HQ colleagues and donors in close coordination with the Senior PSEA Coordinator.
- Monitor the project’s progress to document and evaluate results, increase effectiveness, and recommend appropriate actions within Syria Crisis Coordinator and PSEA teams.
- Provide and consolidate inputs from different hubs. Ensure PSEA updates are shared with relevant counterparts in IOM and within the UN (Syria Steering Group).
- Ensure IPs are oriented to IOM policies and procedures
- Undertake duty travel as required.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
- Master’s degree in Finance, Business Administration, International Relations, or a related field from an accredited academic institution; or
- University degree in the above fields with two years of relevant professional experience.
- Work experience in a humanitarian setting, with relevant professional experience in the field of sexual exploitation and abuse, protection, gender-based violence, staff misconduct and discipline, gender mainstreaming and/or humanitarian affairs.
- Proven ability in monitoring and reporting of international projects.
- Experience working in humanitarian emergencies.
- Experience working in multi-sector, inter-agency processes.
- Experience working with local and international NGOs.
- Experience working in the MENA region is an advantage.
- Good knowledge of programme management cycle.
- Fluency in Arabic and English is required.
- Working knowledge of Turkish is advantageous.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity:
Shows respect and sensitivity towards gender, culture, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, political conviction and other differences.
• Encourages the inclusion of all team members and stakeholders while demonstrating the ability to work constructively with people with different backgrounds and orientations.
• Promotes the benefits of diversity; values diverse points of view and demonstrate this in daily work and decision making.
• Challenges prejudice, biases and intolerance in the workplace.
- Integrity and transparency:
Upholds and promotes the Standards of Conduct and Unified Staff Regulations and Rules.
• Delivers on commitments; manages the organization’s resources reliably and sustainably.
• Embraces and encourages transparency, balancing this with the need for discretion and confidentiality as appropriate.
• Maintains impartiality and takes prompt action in cases of unprofessional or unethical behaviour.
• Does not abuse one’s position and acts without consideration of personal gain. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns.
Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter and willingness to improve knowledge and skills.
• Seeks to raise professional standards in self and others through daily work and activities.
• Adapts quickly to change and is decisive and versatile in face of uncertainty.
• Shows self-control and persistence when faced with difficult problems and remains calm in stressful situations.
• Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Fosters a sense of team spirit by developing a shared understanding, accountability, and enthusiasm for the team’s work.
• Displays a high level of cultural awareness, sensitivity to different ways of working and leverages individual strengths in order to build a better team.
• Shares credit for team accomplishments and ensures that the contribution of others is recognized.
• Helps create a positive team spirit, putting aside personal considerations to help the team achieve its goals.
- Delivering results:
•Produces high-quality results and workable solutions that meet clients’ needs.
• Anticipates constraints, identifies solutions, and takes responsibility for addressing critical situations.
• Monitors own and others’ work in a systematic and effective way, ensuring required resources and outputs.
• Aligns projects with Organization’s mission and objectives and demonstrates a good understanding of the impact of team’s and own work on external and internal counterparts.
- Managing and sharing knowledge:
•Disseminates and shares knowledge openly and actively contributes to knowledge/network communities for topics relevant to area of expertise.
• Encourages knowledge-sharing across units/departments and ensures that knowledge is captured, recorded and disseminated appropriately.
• Builds networks for the effective communication and exchange of knowledge and ideas and puts others into contact with various sources of knowledge.
• Contributes to an environment that is conducive to innovation and learning.
• Proactively seeks responsibility in delivering towards the goals of the Organization.
• Plans and organizes work with a clear and deliberate focus, ensuring commitments are easily identified and progress is widely communicated.
• Stands by the actions of team or department, publicly accepting ownership.
• Takes responsibility of own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable
•Speaks and writes clearly and effectively.
• Seeks to share information with others, with due respect for diversity and the confidentiality of specific sensitive information.
• Listens and seeks to understand without bias and responds appropriately.
• Shares information and keeps others up to date; actively seeks others' views and ideas and respects their contribution.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Assigns responsibilities fairly and manages performance, taking account of individual strengths, workloads and interests.
• Is inclusive in decision-making and actively seeks feedback from team members and colleagues in order to identify opportunities for improvement.
• Takes sound and timely managerial decisions that are consistent with the Organization's vision and purpose.
• Establishes and maintains relationships with a broad range of stakeholders to understand needs and gain support.
- Empowering others and building trust:
•Delegates appropriately to make the most of others’ talents, clarifying expectations and allowing autonomy in important areas while providing necessary support.
• Encourages others to take responsibility for their performance; promotes ownership, responsibility and accountability for desired results at all levels.
• Creates an atmosphere of trust and confidence in which others can talk and act without fear of repercussion.
• Gives proper credit to others, shows appreciation and rewards achievement and effort.
- Strategic thinking and vision:
•Aligns own actions to the Organization’s vision, values and mandate.
• Translates strategic direction into short and medium-term plans and objectives for own team; revises objectives to reflect changes in organizational goals.
• Identifies key issues/priorities in complex situations and how they may be related to one another.
• Clearly communicates links between the Organization’s strategy and the work unit’s goals.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
Please be advised that this is a local position and as such only applications from candidates with a valid residence / working permit residing in Türkiye will be considered.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application including the most recent CV with a cover letter in English with contact details (name, position, phone and e-mail details) of three references by indicating name of the position applied with its VN number in the subject line of the e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or to IOM Birlik Mahallesi Sehit Kurbani Akboga Sok. No:24 06610, Çankaya, Ankara Türkiye by the end of 8 December 2022.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
 As applicable.
With 165 member states, a further 8 states holding observer status and offices in over 100 countries, IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM works to help ensure the orderly and humane management of migration, to promote international cooperation on migration issues, to assist in the search for practical solutions to migration problems and to provide humanitarian assistance to migrants in need, including refugees and internally displaced people.
The IOM Constitution recognizes the link between migration and economic, social and cultural development, as well as to the right of freedom of movement.