Vacancy Notice Number:
National Officer (Shelter-CS)-re-advertised
6 months Special Short Term Graded Contract (NOA)- with possible extension
Deadline of Applications:
6 June 2023
Number of Vacant Positions:
Internal & External
With the crisis in Syria in its tenth year, fighting between the government and opposition forces continues to maintain a large regional internal and external displacement crisis. Currently, more than 4.7 million foreign nationals reside in Turkey, including 3.6 million Syrian refugees under Temporary Protection. Turkey is now host to the largest migrant/refugee population in the world, including nationals from Iraq, Afghanistan, Somalia, Iran and Pakistan, among others. The Government of Turkey has set a precedent for refugee response by pursuing a predominantly non-camp approach, with more than 95% of refugees and migrants living within the host community.
In line with the Regional Refugee and Resilience Plan (3RP), IOM has been providing multiservice assistance to Syrians under temporary protection including transportation, cash vouchers, shelter repairs, livelihood support and protection, including support to migrant and community centres, reaching approximately 2 million individuals to date, including vulnerable members of the host community). IOM RSU interventions in Turkiye are planned to be expanded to include the complete spectrum of assistance to cover beneficiaries’ basic needs i.e., shelter, NFI and community stabilization projects.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM) in Turkiye and direct supervision of the Shelter Project Officer in coordination of Recovery and stabilization Officer; and, in collaboration with relevant units at Headquarters and the Administrative Centers, the successful candidate will be responsible for the following tasks:
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist in the coordination and monitoring of the Shelter, NFI and Community Stabilization operational, administrative and financial aspects of the project in accordance with IOM policies and practices as well as donor’s requirements.
- Keep the supervisor informed on the status of project implementation; identify gaps and suggest actions to improve implementation.
- Participate in the development and adjustment of work plans, project budgets, Monitoring & Evaluation tools, Shelter, NFI and CS program strategy, Methodology, identifying new areas of intervention, and developing on-going initiatives and standard operations procedures.
- Coordinate the collection, verification and analysis of data and background information; update information management systems to ensure accurate record keeping, quality audit ensure all projects databases are updated and reflect current state of implementation. And coordinate with PI for social media platforms on project related activities including project awareness and visibility, summaries, press releases and other relevant materials.
- Coordinate timely preparation and dissemination of project reports including (both narrative and financial) taking into consideration project objectives and work plans, in accordance with IOM procedures and donor requirements.
- Liaise and coordinate with donors, partners, United Nations agencies, local authorities and stakeholders and government counterparts.
- Contribute to the planning, development, organization and delivery of capacity building activities targeting IOM staff, government and civil society partners, implementing partners and communities. And develop reporting materials, presentations, graphs, and development activities in the areas of Shelter, NFI and CS projects.
- Attend relevant conferences, workshops, working groups, interagency coordination meetings, and other forums.
- Participate in the preparation of project proposals and a diverse range of communication products, concept notes and other planning documents
- Supervise and provide training and technical guidance to project staff. And provide preliminary technical input for the preparation and review of technical specifications, drawings and Bill of Quantities (BoQ)of the community stabilization, and Shelter intervention planned to be implemented as necessary.
- Undertake duty travel relating to project implementation, monitoring visits, project assessments, liaison with counterparts, etc.
- Assist Procurement Unit with contracts, close out procedures and final payment to contracts. Prepare and finalize all project contracts in coordination with Procurement and Legal units.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in civil, Architectural and mechanical Engineering or related fields from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or,
- Master’s degree in the above-mentioned fields
- Experience in liaising with governmental authorities, national/international institutions, United Nations agencies and non-governmental organizations.
- Experience in working with migrants, refugees, internally displaced persons, victims of trafficking and other vulnerable groups; and,
- Prior work experience with international humanitarian organizations, non-government or government institutions/organization in a multi-cultural setting is an advantage.
- Experience in project management and implementation.
- Experience in a shelter/ NFI, Cash and WASH operations as part of the Syria response is an advantage.
- Proficient use of Microsoft Office such as Excel, PowerPoint and other software.
- Proven Shelter / NFI, Cash and WASH technical experience.
- Effectively coordinates actions with other implementing partners.
- Good organizational and administrative skills
- Statistical analysis techniques
- Knowledge of electronic survey tools (Kobo).
- Familiarity with the Syrian context is an added advantage.
- Fluency in English and Turkish is required.
- Working knowledge of Arabic is advantageous.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity:
Shows respect and sensitivity towards gender, culture, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, political conviction and other differences.
• Encourages the inclusion of all team members and stakeholders while demonstrating the ability to work constructively with people with different backgrounds and orientations.
• Promotes the benefits of diversity; values diverse points of view and demonstrate this in daily work and decision making.
• Challenges prejudice, biases and intolerance in the workplace.
- Integrity and transparency:
Upholds and promotes the Standards of Conduct and Unified Staff Regulations and Rules.
• Delivers on commitments; manages the organization’s resources reliably and sustainably.
• Embraces and encourages transparency, balancing this with the need for discretion and confidentiality as appropriate.
• Maintains impartiality and takes prompt action in cases of unprofessional or unethical behaviour.
• Does not abuse one’s position and acts without consideration of personal gain. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns.
Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter and willingness to improve knowledge and skills.
• Seeks to raise professional standards in self and others through daily work and activities.
• Adapts quickly to change and is decisive and versatile in face of uncertainty.
• Shows self-control and persistence when faced with difficult problems and remains calm in stressful situations.
• Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines, and achieving results.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Fosters a sense of team spirit by developing a shared understanding, accountability, and enthusiasm for the team’s work.
• Displays a high level of cultural awareness, sensitivity to different ways of working and leverages individual strengths in order to build a better team.
• Shares credit for team accomplishments and ensures that the contribution of others is recognized.
• Helps create a positive team spirit, putting aside personal considerations to help the team achieve its goals.
- Delivering results:
•Produces high-quality results and workable solutions that meet clients’ needs.
• Anticipates constraints, identifies solutions and takes responsibility for addressing critical situations.
• Monitors own and others’ work in a systematic and effective way, ensuring required resources and outputs.
• Aligns projects with Organization’s mission and objectives and demonstrates a good understanding of the impact of team’s and own work on external and internal counterparts.
- Managing and sharing knowledge:
•Disseminates and shares knowledge openly and actively contributes to knowledge/network communities for topics relevant to area of expertise.
• Encourages knowledge-sharing across units/departments and ensures that knowledge is captured, recorded and disseminated appropriately.
• Builds networks for the effective communication and exchange of knowledge and ideas and puts others into contact with various sources of knowledge.
• Contributes to an environment that is conducive to innovation and learning.
• Proactively seeks responsibility in delivering towards the goals of the Organization.
• Plans and organizes work with a clear and deliberate focus, ensuring commitments are easily identified and progress is widely communicated.
• Stands by the actions of team or department, publicly accepting ownership.
• Takes responsibility of own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable
•Speaks and writes clearly and effectively.
• Seeks to share information with others, with due respect for diversity and the confidentiality of specific sensitive information.
• Listens and seeks to understand without bias and responds appropriately.
• Shares information and keeps others up to date; actively seeks others' views and ideas and respects their contribution.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Assigns responsibilities fairly and manages performance, taking account of individual strengths, workloads and interests.
• Is inclusive in decision-making and actively seeks feedback from team members and colleagues in order to identify opportunities for improvement.
• Takes sound and timely managerial decisions that are consistent with the Organization's vision and purpose.
• Establishes and maintains relationships with a broad range of stakeholders to understand needs and gain support.
- Empowering others and building trust:
•Delegates appropriately to make the most of others’ talents, clarifying expectations and allowing autonomy in important areas while providing necessary support.
• Encourages others to take responsibility for their performance; promotes ownership, responsibility and accountability for desired results at all levels.
• Creates an atmosphere of trust and confidence in which others can talk and act without fear of repercussion.
• Gives proper credit to others, shows appreciation and rewards achievement and effort.
- Strategic thinking and vision:
•Aligns own actions to the Organization’s vision, values and mandate.
•Translates strategic direction into short and medium-term plans and objectives for own team; revises objectives to reflect changes in organizational goals.
• Identifies key issues/priorities in complex situations and how they may be related to one another.
• Clearly communicates links between the Organization’s strategy and the work unit’s goals.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
This is a local position and applications from candidates for non-Turkish citizens holding a valid residence permit residing in Türkiye might be considered.
Please be advised that female candidates are highly encouraged.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application including the most recent CV with a cover letter in English with contact details (name, position, phone and e-mail details) of three references by indicating name of the position applied with its VN number in the subject line of the e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or to IOM Birlik Mahallesi Sehit Kurbani Akboga Sokak No:24 Cankaya, Ankara by the end of 6 June 2023.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
 As applicable.
With 165 member states, a further 8 states holding observer status and offices in over 100 countries, IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM works to help ensure the orderly and humane management of migration, to promote international cooperation on migration issues, to assist in the search for practical solutions to migration problems and to provide humanitarian assistance to migrants in need, including refugees and internally displaced people.
The IOM Constitution recognizes the link between migration and economic, social and cultural development, as well as to the right of freedom of movement.
- National Monitoring and Evaluation Officer
- Senior Project Assistant (CS)-re-advertised
- Consultant (IT)-re-advertised
- Finance Assistant
- Project Field Coordinator
- Project Assistant (CS) - re-advertised
- Senior Project Assistant (Cash-Based Interventions (CBI))-re-advertised
- ICT Intern-re-advertised
- Field Security Associate
- Procurement and Logistics Assistant
- Procurement and Logistics Assistant-re-advertised
- ICT Intern (FabLab)-re-advertised
- Senior Project Assistant (Cash-Based Interventions (CBI))-re-advertised
- Project Assistant (Livelihood)-re-advertised
- Project Support Assistant (Cash-Based Interventions (CBI))-re-advertised