Vacancy Notice Number:
National Officer (Technical Shelter Support)
Gaziantep – Turkey
6 months Special Short Term Graded Contract (NOA) – with possible extension
Deadline of Applications:
3 February 2022
Number of People to be hired
Internal & External Candidates
IOM is the only international inter-governmental agency with a specific mandate for migration and is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing technical expertise to governments, migrants and host communities through a wide range of sustainable solutions contributing to support populations affected by forced migration and improve living conditions of Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs).
The conflict and violence in Syria continues to cause large-scale displacement of populations. Over 6 million people remain displaced inside Syria. Host governments and humanitarian actors, including IOM, are providing relief assistance and protection to vulnerable IDPs living with host families and in increasingly crowded camps and settlements. The combination of an extremely large displaced population and the accelerating rate of new arrivals is posing a growing challenge to reception communities’ capacity and host government’s response mechanisms.
The United Nations Security Council – through Resolution 2533 – allows the UN and its partners to provide cross border assistance from Turkey to Northern Syria. IOM Turkey’s Cross-Border humanitarian assistance in Syria is managed from Gaziantep. Along with the provision of non-food items (NFIs), IOM’s WASH, Shelter and Camp Coordination and Camp Management (CCCM) programming are amongst the largest being implemented by IOM Turkey.
Under the overall supervision of the Senior Programme Coordinator, and the direct supervision of the Programme Officer (Shelter / WASH), the successful candidate will manage and oversee the technical aspects of the Shelter projects for the Cross-Border operations managed from Turkey and implemented inside of Syria. Work will be carried out in accordance with holistic settlement approaches and sphere standards, including close coordination with other IOM programmes as well as participation in the Shelter cluster and other external forums. The role will require staff supervision, contributions to partner capacity building, construction and rehabilitation management.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coordinate the technical activities related to the implementation of Shelter projects in cooperation with the local Syrian Implementing Partners (IPs) and according to IOM standard operational procedures, sphere standards and donor requirements.
- Support the Project Officer in the development of new project proposals and provide inputs regarding possible targeted locations, Bill of Quantities, technical assessments as well as implementation strategy.
- Contribute to drafting donor interim and final narrative reports and provide regular updates to the Programme Officer.
- Support the Programme Officer in drafting IOM 2022 – 2023 Shelter Strategy.
- Support the programme Officer in the establishment and implementation of dignified shelter solutions strategy for northwest Syria.
- Coordinate with logistic department the selection process for service providers, prepare request for quotation of needed Shelter units and materials along with its related documents and BoQs.
- Regularly participate and represent IOM Shelter unit in working groups, cluster, partner, and donor meetings when required.
- Plan, develop and organize trainings for the staff of the IPs and coordinate regular operational meetings.
- Oversee the daily technical implementation of all shelter related projects and make sure the implementation is in line with the workplan and the technical standards.
- Regularly follow up with the project staff of the IPs to identify the bottlenecks, provide technical advice and orientation.
- Develop new project tools, guidelines, SOPs and suggest new methodology for different projects.
- Directly supervise project staff, provide training and day to day mentoring to ensure smooth running of the projects, and evaluate their work on SES system.
- Examine the accomplishment of the work plans by the IPs and coordinate with M&E unit and TPM to develop project monitoring plan.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned by the shelter/wash Project Officer and other senior managers in the reporting line for this position.
- Master’s degree in Architecture, Civil / Environmental Engineering or a related field from an accredited academic institution; or
- University degree in the above fields with two years of relevant professional experience.
- Proven experience in socioeconomic community projects or experience with international organization is an advantage
- Good computer skills (MS Office, Internet);
- Good initiative and ability to plan and manage activities with limited supervision;
- Capacity to work under pressure and hardship environment.
- Personal commitment, efficiency, flexibility, and drive for results
- Ability to work harmoniously with colleagues from varied cultures and professional backgrounds.
- Experience in remote project management, preferably in the Syrian crisis;
- Experience in managing implementing partners
- Experience in Shelter activities, specifically establishment of camps, rehabilitation as well as camp infrastructure activities;
- Experience in developing M&E tools and assessments;
- Proficient use of Micosoft softwares such as Excel and PowerPoint and other software such as Autocad, SPSS, KoBo toolbox, DropBox, etc;
- Experience working with international humanitarian organizations, non-governmental or governmental institutions/organizations in a multi-cultural setting.
- Fluency in English and Arabic is required.
- Working knowledge of Turkish is advantageous.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity:
Shows respect and sensitivity towards gender, culture, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, political conviction and other differences.
• Encourages the inclusion of all team members and stakeholders while demonstrating the ability to work constructively with people with different backgrounds and orientations.
• Promotes the benefits of diversity; values diverse points of view and demonstrate this in daily work and decision making.
• Challenges prejudice, biases and intolerance in the workplace.
- Integrity and transparency:
Upholds and promotes the Standards of Conduct and Unified Staff Regulations and Rules.
• Delivers on commitments; manages the organization’s resources reliably and sustainably.
• Embraces and encourages transparency, balancing this with the need for discretion and confidentiality as appropriate.
• Maintains impartiality and takes prompt action in cases of unprofessional or unethical behaviour.
• Does not abuse one’s position and acts without consideration of personal gain. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns.
Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter and willingness to improve knowledge and skills.
• Seeks to raise professional standards in self and others through daily work and activities.
• Adapts quickly to change and is decisive and versatile in face of uncertainty.
• Shows self-control and persistence when faced with difficult problems and remains calm in stressful situations.
• Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Fosters a sense of team spirit by developing a shared understanding, accountability, and enthusiasm for the team’s work.
• Displays a high level of cultural awareness, sensitivity to different ways of working and leverages individual strengths in order to build a better team.
• Shares credit for team accomplishments and ensures that the contribution of others is recognized.
• Helps create a positive team spirit, putting aside personal considerations to help the team achieve its goals.
- Delivering results:
•Produces high-quality results and workable solutions that meet clients’ needs.
• Anticipates constraints, identifies solutions, and takes responsibility for addressing critical situations.
• Monitors own and others’ work in a systematic and effective way, ensuring required resources and outputs.
• Aligns projects with Organization’s mission and objectives and demonstrates a good understanding of the impact of team’s and own work on external and internal counterparts.
- Managing and sharing knowledge:
•Disseminates and shares knowledge openly and actively contributes to knowledge/network communities for topics relevant to area of expertise.
• Encourages knowledge-sharing across units/departments and ensures that knowledge is captured, recorded and disseminated appropriately.
• Builds networks for the effective communication and exchange of knowledge and ideas and puts others into contact with various sources of knowledge.
• Contributes to an environment that is conducive to innovation and learning.
• Proactively seeks responsibility in delivering towards the goals of the Organization.
• Plans and organizes work with a clear and deliberate focus, ensuring commitments are easily identified and progress is widely communicated.
• Stands by the actions of team or department, publicly accepting ownership.
• Takes responsibility of own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable
•Speaks and writes clearly and effectively.
• Seeks to share information with others, with due respect for diversity and the confidentiality of specific sensitive information.
• Listens and seeks to understand without bias and responds appropriately.
• Shares information and keeps others up to date; actively seeks others' views and ideas and respects their contribution.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Assigns responsibilities fairly and manages performance, taking account of individual strengths, workloads and interests.
• Is inclusive in decision-making and actively seeks feedback from team members and colleagues in order to identify opportunities for improvement.
• Takes sound and timely managerial decisions that are consistent with the Organization's vision and purpose.
• Establishes and maintains relationships with a broad range of stakeholders to understand needs and gain support.
- Empowering others and building trust:
•Delegates appropriately to make the most of others’ talents, clarifying expectations and allowing autonomy in important areas while providing necessary support.
• Encourages others to take responsibility for their performance; promotes ownership, responsibility and accountability for desired results at all levels.
• Creates an atmosphere of trust and confidence in which others can talk and act without fear of repercussion.
• Gives proper credit to others, shows appreciation and rewards achievement and effort.
- Strategic thinking and vision:
•Aligns own actions to the Organization’s vision, values and mandate.
• Translates strategic direction into short and medium-term plans and objectives for own team; revises objectives to reflect changes in organizational goals.
• Identifies key issues/priorities in complex situations and how they may be related to one another.
• Clearly communicates links between the Organization’s strategy and the work unit’s goals.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
Please be advised that this is a local position and as such only applications from candidates with a valid residence / working permit residing in Turkey will be considered.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application including the most recent CV with a cover letter in English with contact details (name, position, phone and e-mail details) of three references by indicating name of the position applied with its VN number in the subject line of the e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or to IOM Birlik Mahallesi Sehit Kurbani Akboga Sok. No:24 06610, Çankaya, Ankara Turkey by the end of 3 February 2022.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
With 165 member states, a further 8 states holding observer status and offices in over 100 countries, IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM works to help ensure the orderly and humane management of migration, to promote international cooperation on migration issues, to assist in the search for practical solutions to migration problems and to provide humanitarian assistance to migrants in need, including refugees and internally displaced people.
The IOM Constitution recognizes the link between migration and economic, social and cultural development, as well as to the right of freedom of movement.
- Project Assistant (CBA – (Cash Based Assistant))- re-advertised
- Senior Monitoring and Evaluation Assistant
- Project Assistant (Case Management)
- Project Field Coordinator
- Operations Assistant (AVRR)
- Project Assistant (AVRR)
- Project Assistant (AVRR)
- Project Administrative Assistant (AVRR)
- Project Assistant (Community Engagement and Social Activities)
- Consultant (Monitoring and Evaluation (CCCM, Protection and Health)
- Consultant (Monitoring & Evaluation (Transition and Recovery))
- Senior Database Assistant
- Project Assistant (Outreach)
- Finance Assistant (Budget)
- Operations Assistant (Field Support – Correspondence)-re-advertised
- Operations Assistant (Field Support – Correspondence)-re-advertised
- On Call Project Assistant (Livelihood)-re-advertised