Vacancy Notice Number:c
National Programme Officer (Immigration and Border Management (IBM))
6 months Special Short Term Graded Contract -with possible extension (NOA)
Deadline of Applications:
29 May 2019
Number of Vacant Positions:
Under the overall supervision of the Migration Management Coordinator and direct supervision of the IBM Project Manager, and in close collaboration with the IBM RTS (Regional Office (RO) Vienna), the successful candidate will be responsible and accountable for the coordination of the implementation of Immigration and Border Management (IBM) portfolio of the Country Office.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide technical support to the Turkish Government in order to strengthen its capacity to create/strengthen an effective inter-sectoral coordination mechanism, particularly in relation to preparation of evidence-based situational analysis, development, adoption and realization of policies, legislations, action plans on IBM.
- Provide review services and guidance to Turkish border and migration authorities with the aim to support planning, designing and managing appropriate interventions related to IBM.
- Work with the IBM RTS and other IOM staff in Regional Offices and Headquarters (HQ) to ensure that Turkey’s immigration and border management context is properly reflected in regional/global projects, strategies and reports.
- Serve as program contact person with governmental and other relevant stakeholders to further strengthen ties between the program and the government of Turkey.
- Organize activities performed by IBM programme staff, provide regular guidance and support for implementation of tasks to relevant colleagues working for the implementation of IBM projects,
- Provide assistance in coordinating on-going and planned projects and activities of IBM programme through technical monitoring and administrative and financial overview ensuring the proper application of a monitoring system to track progress on programme results and indicators.
- Provide proactive recommendations to the Chief of Mission, Migration Management Coordinator, IBM Project Manager and managers of other relevant programmes on ways to better plan and manage IBM programme and increase the efficiency of programming.
- Support IBM Project Manager in the planning, timely implementation, evaluation, reporting of the activities conducted under IBM programme.
- Act as IBM Officer in Charge in the absence of IBM Project Manager, providing overall management of the IBM programme including day to day supervision of project activities, exercise delegation of authority, and representational functions.
- Identify opportunities for joint programming with relevant UN agencies and coordinate the implementation of joint interventions under the area of responsibility.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned by the IBM Project Manager or Migration Management Coordinator.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in border management, migration, customs, business administration, social science or international relations, from an accredited academic institution; or,
- University degree in the above fields with two years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience in project management in the field of border management, migration management, security, customs or similar area;
- Extensive experience in liaising with national governmental and non-governmental authorities as well as with international institutions/organizations;
- Sound and proven understanding of internal and international migration related issues from an operational and policy perspective;
- Familiarity with financial and business administration;
- Having analytical and problem-solving skills, including ability to identify and participate in the resolution of issues/problems; and,
- Solid written communication (drafting of project proposals, reports, letters etc.) skills.
- Fluency in Turkish and English is required.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
Please be advised that this is a local position and as such only applications from candidates with a valid residence / working permit residing in Turkey will be considered.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application including the most recent CV with a cover letter in English with contact details (name, position, phone and e-mail details) of three references by indicating name of the position applied with its VN number in the subject line of the e-mail or to IOM Birlik Mahallesi Sehit Kurbani Akboga Sokak No:24 Cankaya, Ankara by the end of 29 May 2019.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
With 165 member states, a further 8 states holding observer status and offices in over 100 countries, IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM works to help ensure the orderly and humane management of migration, to promote international cooperation on migration issues, to assist in the search for practical solutions to migration problems and to provide humanitarian assistance to migrants in need, including refugees and internally displaced people.
The IOM Constitution recognizes the link between migration and economic, social and cultural development, as well as to the right of freedom of movement.