Vacancy Notice Number:
National Project Officer (Food Security)
Gaziantep – Turkey
6 months Special Short Term Graded Contract (NOA) – with possible extension
Deadline of Applications:
05 November 2021
Number of People to be hired
Internal & External Candidates
Under the overall supervision of the Senior Programme Coordinator, and the direct supervision of the Programme Officer (Transition and Recovery), the incumbent will be responsible and accountable for the coordination of the implementation of the overall Food Security activities and projects under the Cross-Border operations in Norther West Syria.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Directly coordinate and supervise the preparations and implementation of different activities under the Food Security Sector including planning, coordination, mobilization of implementing partners for both of Regular and Emergency response lines, and ensure that implementation is aligned with methodology, processes and SOPs;
- Review, track and provide inputs of monthly, interim, and final project reports (both narrative and financial), taking into consideration project objectives and work plans, and notify the Head of Unit of any issues with timeliness or quality;
- Mainstream Food Security into other sectors such as Early Recovery and Livelihood, Protection, Shelter/Wash, and CCCM), including needed coordination and linkages;
- Coordinate and take actions needed for timely implementation of the different food security activities (regular and emergency responses), and notify the Head of Unit of any issues with timeliness or quality;
- Plan, develop, organize and deliver capacity building and development activities to build capacity of staff and implementing partners in line with TRU methodology and approach;
- Conduct regular meetings with staff and IPs to go through the implementation progress, highlight any bottlenecks and challenges, give technical and operational advice and provide orientation;
- Coordinate with Procurement on the timely production of food stacks, with Quality Control team on the timely laboratory tests at source, with Logistics and M&E on IPs warehouse verifications and implementation of Commodity Tracking System (CTS) and with Operations for the transshipment process;
- Review the Commodity Tracking System (CTS) reports on monthly bases and address any issues related to damages and loses with concerned units;
- Assist in developing the TRU program strategy, identifying new areas of intervention, and developing on-going initiatives;
- Contribute to improving IP selection process through providing needed project details and inputs, feedback on IPs performance;
- Develop Monthly Distribution Plan of different food assistances in coordination with the implementing partners, Logistics and Operations, and submit to Programme Officer for review and approval;
- Align all distributions with Food Security and Livelihood (FSL) cluster and technical working groups, as well as active participation in their regular meetings and events
- Coordinate with M&E to ensure that timely conduction of warehouse verification and Post Distribution Monitoring; and liaison with the Protection Unit to ensure protection is mainstreamed across activities;
- Perform such other duties as may be required.
- University degree in Management, Humanitarian Assistance or a related field from an accredited academic institution, with two years of relevant professional experience; or
- Completed High school degree from an accredited academic institution, with six years of relevant professional experience;
- Experience in humanitarian response or in the delivery of emergency humanitarian support including transport;
- Experience in the field of migration issues, project design and implementation;
- Experience in team management and mobilization;
- Familiarity with administrative management;
- Extensive work experience in challenging environments and operational activities in a post-conflict area required;
- Experience in liaising with local, regional and international counterparts and humanitarian partners needed;
- Experience working in an International Organization is an advantage.
- Fluency in English and Arabic is required.
- Working knowledge of Turkish is advantageous.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity:
Shows respect and sensitivity towards gender, culture, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, political conviction and other differences.
• Encourages the inclusion of all team members and stakeholders while demonstrating the ability to work constructively with people with different backgrounds and orientations.
• Promotes the benefits of diversity; values diverse points of view and demonstrate this in daily work and decision making.
• Challenges prejudice, biases and intolerance in the workplace.
- Integrity and transparency:
Upholds and promotes the Standards of Conduct and Unified Staff Regulations and Rules.
• Delivers on commitments; manages the organization’s resources reliably and sustainably.
• Embraces and encourages transparency, balancing this with the need for discretion and confidentiality as appropriate.
• Maintains impartiality and takes prompt action in cases of unprofessional or unethical behaviour.
• Does not abuse one’s position and acts without consideration of personal gain. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns.
Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter and willingness to improve knowledge and skills.
• Seeks to raise professional standards in self and others through daily work and activities.
• Adapts quickly to change and is decisive and versatile in face of uncertainty.
• Shows self-control and persistence when faced with difficult problems and remains calm in stressful situations.
• Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Fosters a sense of team spirit by developing a shared understanding, accountability and enthusiasm for the team’s work.
• Displays a high level of cultural awareness, sensitivity to different ways of working and leverages individual strengths in order to build a better team.
• Shares credit for team accomplishments and ensures that the contribution of others is recognized.
• Helps create a positive team spirit, putting aside personal considerations to help the team achieve its goals.
- Delivering results:
•Produces high-quality results and workable solutions that meet clients’ needs.
• Anticipates constraints, identifies solutions and takes responsibility for addressing critical situations.
• Monitors own and others’ work in a systematic and effective way, ensuring required resources and outputs.
• Aligns projects with Organization’s mission and objectives and demonstrates a good understanding of the impact of team’s and own work on external and internal counterparts.
- Managing and sharing knowledge:
•Disseminates and shares knowledge openly and actively contributes to knowledge/network communities for topics relevant to area of expertise.
• Encourages knowledge-sharing across units/departments and ensures that knowledge is captured, recorded and disseminated appropriately.
• Builds networks for the effective communication and exchange of knowledge and ideas and puts others into contact with various sources of knowledge.
• Contributes to an environment that is conducive to innovation and learning.
• Proactively seeks responsibility in delivering towards the goals of the Organization.
• Plans and organizes work with a clear and deliberate focus, ensuring commitments are easily identified and progress is widely communicated.
• Stands by the actions of team or department, publicly accepting ownership.
• Takes responsibility of own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable
•Speaks and writes clearly and effectively.
• Seeks to share information with others, with due respect for diversity and the confidentiality of specific sensitive information.
• Listens and seeks to understand without bias, and responds appropriately.
• Shares information and keeps others up to date; actively seeks others' views and ideas and respects their contribution.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Assigns responsibilities fairly and manages performance, taking account of individual strengths, workloads and interests.
• Is inclusive in decision-making and actively seeks feedback from team members and colleagues in order to identify opportunities for improvement.
• Takes sound and timely managerial decisions that are consistent with the Organization's vision and purpose.
• Establishes and maintains relationships with a broad range of stakeholders to understand needs and gain support.
- Empowering others and building trust:
•Delegates appropriately to make the most of others’ talents, clarifying expectations and allowing autonomy in important areas while providing necessary support.
• Encourages others to take responsibility for their performance; promotes ownership, responsibility and accountability for desired results at all levels.
• Creates an atmosphere of trust and confidence in which others can talk and act without fear of repercussion.
• Gives proper credit to others, shows appreciation and rewards achievement and effort.
- Strategic thinking and vision:
•Aligns own actions to the Organization’s vision, values and mandate.
• Translates strategic direction into short and medium-term plans and objectives for own team; revises objectives to reflect changes in organizational goals.
• Identifies key issues/priorities in complex situations and how they may be related to one another.
• Clearly communicates links between the Organization’s strategy and the work unit’s goals.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
Please be advised that this is a local position and as such only applications from candidates with a valid residence / working permit residing in Turkey will be considered.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application including the most recent CV with a cover letter in English with contact details (name, position, phone and e-mail details) of three references by indicating name of the position applied with its VN number in the subject line of the e-mailor to IOM Birlik Mahallesi Sehit Kurbani Akboga Sok. No:24 06610, Çankaya, Ankara Turkey by the end of 05 November 2021.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
 As applicable.
With 165 member states, a further 8 states holding observer status and offices in over 100 countries, IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM works to help ensure the orderly and humane management of migration, to promote international cooperation on migration issues, to assist in the search for practical solutions to migration problems and to provide humanitarian assistance to migrants in need, including refugees and internally displaced people.
The IOM Constitution recognizes the link between migration and economic, social and cultural development, as well as to the right of freedom of movement.
- Project Field Coordinator
- Project Assistant (Social Services)
- Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) Assistant re-advertised
- Communications Assistant (Videographer/Photographer)– re-advertised
- Senior Project Assistant (WASH)
- Project Assistant (Protection) re-advertised
- On-call Enumerator
- On-call Enumerator
- On-call Enumerator
- On-call Interpreter
- Project Assistant (Livelihood) re-advertised