HQ - Gaziantep
Shafak was officially established on 10-10-2013 (registration no. 27-016-129). It was founded during the early months of the Syrian Crisis in 2011. At its core, Shafak is a grassroots NGO that was formed by Syrians for Syrians, with the intent of addressing the needs of their life with dignity, equality, and humanity with a focus on sustainability and autonomy.
Shafak is an impartial, independent, non-profit NGO that exists for the express purpose of providing humanitarian services to vulnerable people regardless of political or religious affiliations and in the long run to contribute to recovery and rebuilding the society on a freedom, justice, and equality basis.
Reports to; CEO
NWS NGO Forum Overview and Mandate
The NGO Forum's purpose is to coordinate, represent and advocate on behalf of its members–Syrian and International NGOs operating cross-border in North West Syria and in line with an agreed-upon strategy and work-plan. The NGO Forum’s mandate is to facilitate and contribute to a coordinated, appropriate, accountable and principled response to the humanitarian crisis in Syria and to ensure that the perspectives of affected populations and humanitarian operational actors is factored into decision-making at all levels.
The Coordinator will lead and guide the strategic direction of the NGO Forum currently hosted by Shafak Organization , in close coordination with the Steering Committee. The Coordinator will play a seminal role in the overall development and implementation of a strategy and workplan for the NGO forum agreed by the Steering Committee. The Coordinator will mobilize and utilize the Coordination Mechanism to advance strategic goals agreed upon by both stakeholders. The Coordinator will manage a diverse Secretariat and will report to the host agency for all operational aspects, with a secondary reporting line to the Chair of the NGO Forum Steering Committee on all strategy and program-related functions.
The successful candidate will have significant, senior-level leadership experience in the Humanitarian Sector. The Coordinator will contribute to ensuring appropriate, accountable and effective humanitarian action in northern Syria by harmonizing NGO collective opinions, addressing issues not considered by UN-led mechanisms in the Whole of Syria response, representing NGOs at the strategic level, and providing consistent and constructive advocacy from within the NGO community. S/he will liaise with other geographic fora/platforms to ensure that issues related to humanitarian needs throughout Syria are well coordinated.
Main duties and responsibilities:
Strategic Coordination Functions:
- Lead the Development of (mid-term) strategy and implementation plan related to NWS Forum priorities on policy and advocacy;
- Lead coordination efforts between Forum members on the one hand, and between other fora/platforms working on Syria (NE Forum, SIRF).
- Lead interface between NGO forum members and critical stakeholders such as donors, UN agencies, etc.
- Lead/ensure the development of critical policy papers, advocacy products, etc that reflect the voice and aspirations of NGO forum members' on key issues related to the response.
Key Engagement and Representation Functions:
- Lead efforts with external stakeholders to convey and represent the views of Forum members, as aligned with NGO forum strategy (e.g., government officials, United Nations representatives, donors);
- Develop productive relationships with key individuals in relevant local and national government offices including ministries, civil society, counterpart institutions, diplomatic missions and donors in close collaboration with the NGO Forum Steering Committee;
- Act as liaison and represent the Forum with other relevant fora (e.g., SIRF, InterAction, ICVA, and other local, regional, and global NGO fora);
- Lead efforts in providing regular, high-level analysis on key strategic topics and comprehensive situational overviews to the NGO community, donors, and UN representatives;
- Lead efforts in providing information, briefings, and presentations on anticipated or developing issues or trends of concern.
- Represent the NGO forum in local, regional, and global events, as necessary;
- Represent the Forum membership on the Humanitarian Liaison Group and other strategic coordination bodies, meetings, and initiatives.
Leadership & Management of the Secretariat:
- Manage and supervise NGO Secretariat to ensure achievements of NGO forum plans and objectives.
- Ensure there is sufficient mentoring, direction, and guidance provided to Secretariat staff leading the Working Groups.
Demonstrate adherence to SHAFAK’s following policies:
Child Safeguarding Policy: Child abuse in all forms is unacceptable to Shafak, which recognizes its responsibility to protect children from harm in all areas of its work. Shafak is committed to ensuring a child-safe environment and is applying a zero-tolerance approach towards any kind of child abuse and exploitation.
Discrimination, Abuse and Harassment Policy, Shafak expressly prohibit and will not tolerate any form of discrimination, abuse, harassment (sexual or otherwise), based upon race, ethnicity, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, marital status, citizenship status, disability, or military status. Shafak employees and related personnel must under no circumstances take part in any form of discrimination, harassment, or abuse (physical, sexual or verbal), intimidation or exploitation, or in any other way infringe the rights of others inside or outside Shafak.
Notice: We will discuss these policies during the interview, so if you are asked to interview please download and read them beforehand:
Qualified applicants should have Turkish citizenship and/or the ability to work in Turkey.
Bachelor’s degree in international relations, development studies, political science, international law or management or similar related studies. Masters preferred.
Required Work Experience:
- A minimum of 5 years of work experience, of which at least two years were in senior management positions (e.g. Head of Mission, Head of Programs).
- At least two years of experience working on strategic level issues, including significant advocacy experience;
- Experience working in local and/or international NGOs or with other key stakeholders in humanitarian response (e.g., donor, UN-led cluster, other fora/platform).
- Ability to supervise and effectively manage diverse teams.
- Demonstrated Experience in representation within Humanitarian Country Teams, inter-sectoral Cluster system or other IASC coordination mechanisms.
Highly Desirable Work Experience
- Demonstrated experience working on the Syria response and/or a strong understanding of the country context and that of the wider Syrian crisis.
- Knowledge of, and commitment to, humanitarian standards and codes of conduct.
Demonstrated Technical Skills and Personal Attributes:
- Strong leadership and mentoring skills; conversant with best practices in humanitarian interventions including adherence to international humanitarian standards and codes of conduct;
- Extraordinary diplomacy skills and a keen understanding of the political and cultural complexities in the Middle East region; a strategic and analytical thinker with the ability to rapidly read situations and determine appropriate responses;
- Ability to work under limited supervision; self-motivated, well-organised and results-driven; communicates effectively and positively with both internal and external stakeholders;
- Excellent interpersonal skills including personal integrity, tact, discretion and impartiality;
- Ability to manage stress and meet competing priorities in a timely manner, producing high-quality outcomes;
- Ability to undertake international and regional travel as required;
- Competency in the use of office suites including Word, PowerPoint and Excel, and
- Fluency in English (both oral and written) is essential, proficiency in Arabic and/or Turkish is an advantage.
Closing Date: 03-Oct-2022
Only short-listed candidates will be called for an interview, Female candidates are encouraged to apply for this position.
Shafak is an impartial, independent, non-profit NGO that exists for the express purpose of providing humanitarian services to vulnerable people regardless of political or religious affiliations and on the long run to contribute to recover and rebuilding the society on freedom, justice and equality basis.