Post Title: Nutrition Advisor
Organization: Welthungerhilfe (WHH)
Location: Gaziantep, Turkey
Duration: 1 Year
Starting: As soon as possible
Benefits: Competitive package
Application closing Date: 11/02/2019
Welthungerhilfe (WHH) is a private, non-profit-making, politically independent and non-denominational relief organization, which supports people living in deprivation and poverty, irrespective of the color of their skin, their religious beliefs or their worldview. In the South East of Turkey, WHH implements projects assisting Syrian refugees outside the camps to meet their essential needs through basic humanitarian relief items and individual protection support. In Syria and Northern Iraq, WHH implements projects to meet the basic needs of IDPs through the provision of food, hygiene and gardening kits.
The consultant is required to organize the strategic implementation of the nutrition component, prepare and design nutrition trainings on specific topics, as well as having supervision responsibilities over the nutritionist who will deliver consultations and group seminars in the province of Gaziantep and Hatay.
Responsibilities of Nutrition Officer:
- ·Provide technical support to the ongoing projects for the preparation of nutrition program strategies, action plans and detailed implementation plans.
- ·Support the development of training materials (facilitators’ manuals) to improve nutrition knowledge in the intervention communities. This will involve coordinating with a company/ specialist constricted to design integrating games, preparing pre-post tests for each training and outreach material (brochures, posters…) related to the trainings, final result questionnaires.
- The preparation of trainings will focus on the following items:
- Pregnant and Lactating Women Nutrition (1)
- IYCF, 0-2 years old child Nutrition (2)
- Basic Nutrition Trainings for school age children including food groups, healthy breakfast preparation (3)
- Basic Nutrition Trainings for adults including hygiene, food safety and health food procurement, preparation and storage (4)
- Nutrition for specific chronic diseases including obesity, diabetes mellitus, cardiovascular diseases, hypertension, kidney diseases, digestive system diseases and eating disorders (5)
- The preparation of trainings will focus on the following items:
- Advise and support the nutritionist on the delivery of trainings content, agenda and scheduling in relation to project beneficiaries. Where it is necessary, the nutrition expert will also be involved in the delivery of either the individualized consultations or the group-based seminars.
- Monitor and supervise closely target groups e.g. mothers’ groups, community and household levels to ensure that training and other nutrition activities are taking place as defined in the project documents.
- Track progress of WHH the implementation regularly and timely reporting.
- Coordinate with project stakeholders and consortium partners for project related activities.
- Participate in Nutrition Technical Working Groups, supporting the Nutrition technical lead where possible and on agreed activities.
- Submit a work plan and monthly progress report for WHH activities as per the format developed by the project.
- Coordinate project activities and project team in the community center with full line management responsibilities over the Nutritionist and translator.
- Represent WHH towards local authorities, project partners and participate in nutrition relevant committees, meetings and workshops.
- Closely collaborate with other national and international actors in the nutrition sector to develop, implement and streamline activities aiming at improving the dietary diversity of households in target communities.
- Participate in Country Office coordination meetings, project planning (when necessary) and any other activity assigned by line manager which is within employee’s capacity.
- Contributes and advises on approaches on training material for nutrition related trainings for beneficiaries, including methodologies and training material
- Contributes his/her inputs to relevant questions for monitoring purpose on nutrition, to be able to evaluate the impact of the nutrition component and in particular the consultations, seminars and trainings conducted.
- Work closely together with the Head of Project and the Project Officers, in terms of preparing and implementing the nutrition related components of the project.
- Take an active part in the monitoring part of the project, in order to evaluate the impact of the nutrition-related activities.
- Pro-actively support, advise and guide the project team in maximizing the impact of the nutrition component.
- Contributing to a wider WHH strategy on nutrition within Turkey’s refugee context for WHH.
In addition to the above, the Nutrition Adviser may be asked to carry out other duties requested by the Head of Project.
- Education: University studies on Nutrition and Dietetics from a reputable university (Master degree is an asset)
- Working Experience: At least 3-5 years of progressively advanced professional editing experience
- Experience in NGOs and Nutrition in Emergencies is an asset
- Proven familiarity with the region is preferred
- A good understanding of the situation and regulations concerning Syrians in Turkey is essential
- A good understanding of Syrian cultural understanding and behaviour regarding nutrition; familiarity with Syrian cultural norms
- Strong communication skills (written and oral) are a necessity, and proven analytical skills in conceptualizing and developing literature reviews.
- Strong visual communication experience (such as developing PowerPoint presentation or prior experience of working with graphic designers) is preferred
- Understanding dietary habits, food opportunities and choices of local people and refugees
- Excellent knowledge of public nutrition
- Ability to understand people’s needs, supply courage and persuasion to beneficiaries
- Solid computer skills, especially in MS Outlook, MS Word, AutoCAD and MS Excel
- Language Skills: Excellent knowledge of Turkish and good knowledge of English is required, Arabic is an asset.
- Personality requirements:
- Ability to integrate in a multicultural team, attentive to detail
- Needs to be able to work pro-actively, with minimal supervision
- Following up scientific and nutritional developments
- A good knowledge of research methods
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to active listening and critical thinking
Whilst employed by Welthungerhilfe, the Nutrition Adviser is obliged to maintain the confidentiality of all information obtained during the work.
The applicants should submit a cover letter and CV in English with the subject Job Application – Nutrition Advisor (SYR1067) to the following email address provided in the apply button no later than 11 February 2019
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
WHH reserves the right to recruit a candidate who matches the required profile before the above deadline.