Post Title: Nutrition Officer
Organization: Welthungerhilfe (WHH)
Location: Gaziantep, Turkey
Duration: 1 Year
Starting: As soon as possible
Benefits: Competitive package
Application closing Date: 11/02/2019
Welthungerhilfe (WHH) is a private, non-profit-making, politically independent and non-denominational relief organization, which supports people living in deprivation and poverty, irrespective of the color of their skin, their religious beliefs or their worldview. In the South East of Turkey, WHH implements projects assisting Syrian refugees outside the camps to meet their essential needs through basic humanitarian relief items and individual protection support. In Syria and Northern Iraq, WHH implements projects to meet the basic needs of IDPs through the provision of food, hygiene and gardening kits.
Under the direct supervision of the Head of Project, the Nutrition Officer provides guidance and inputs to all aspects of nutrition related activities within the project. This includes contributing to relevant questionnaires, assessment, training material and approaches, and analysis. He/she works closely together with the Head of Project and the Project Officers, to ensure that the nutrition component under the project is implemented effectively and smoothly, in line with WHH regulations, donor regulations, and cultural practices.
Responsibilities of Nutrition Officer:
- Delivery of individualized and seminar-based consultations and trainings to beneficiaries on nutrition and ideal nutritional choices based on beneficiaries' current conditions, dietary habits and needs in the field.
- Working with groups under risk regarding nutrition such as malnourished children, infants and young children, pregnant and lactating women, elderly people, people suffering from hidden hunger.
- Evaluating the beneficiaries' dietary needs through assessments of their health and exercise levels, dietary habits and supporting them to improve their knowledge
- Providing nutritional support to beneficiaries with chronic diseases such as obesity, diabetes mellitus, cardiovascular diseases, hypertension, kidney diseases, digestive system diseases and eating disorders
- Supporting pregnant and lactating women and improving their knowledge on their nutritional requirements
- 6.Creating mother support groups for pregnant and lactating women if it is necessary
- Raising awareness for the beneficiaries on the importance of infant and young children feeding including breastfeeding consultation
- Providing nutritional support to children in healthy eating, adequate and balanced diet, the role of nutrition in growing
- Supporting beneficiaries to improve their knowledge in food safety and hygiene, food preparation, cooking and storage
- Under the supervision of Nutrition expert, generate reports for the activities in relation to monitoring and evaluating the results.
In addition to the above, the Nutrition Officer may be asked to carry out other duties requested by the Head of Project.
- Education: Bachelor’s Degree or relevant vocational training in a relevant nutrition, dietetics or related field
- Working Experience: 2 years of working experience in a similar position, preferably in a Non-Profit Organization/UN agency; working experience on nutrition/dietary diversity/dietary habits etc. a requirement.
- Prior work with refugees in Turkey a distinct advantage
- A good understanding of the situation and regulations concerning Syrians in Turkey is essential
- A good understanding of Syrian cultural understanding and behaviour regarding nutrition; familiarity with Syrian cultural norms
- Excellent knowledge of relationship between human biology, physiology, body functions and nutrition
- Understanding dietary habits, food opportunities and choices of local people and refugees
- Excellent knowledge of public nutrition
- Ability to understand people’s needs, supply courage and persuasion to beneficiaries
- Ability to work with MS Word, MS Excel and MS Outlook a must
- Language Skills: Working proficiency in English, Turkish essential. Additional knowledge of Arabic and/or Kurdish is an advantage
- Personality requirements:
- Ability to integrate in a multicultural team, attentive to detail
- Needs to be able to work pro-actively, with minimal supervision
- Following up scientific and nutritional developments
- A good knowledge of research methods
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to active listening and critical thinking
Whilst employed by Welthungerhilfe, the Nutrition Officer is obliged to maintain the confidentiality of all information obtained during the work.
The applicants should submit a cover letter and CV in English with the subject Job Application – Nutrition Officer (SYR1067) to the following email address provided in the apply button no later than 11 February 2019
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
WHH reserves the right to recruit a candidate who matches the required profile before the above deadline.