Vacancy Notice Number:
On-call Child Care Room Facilitator
Adana - Turkey
Deadline of Applications:
29 May 2019
The Syria crisis is entering its fifth year and millions of Syrians continue to seek refuge in neighboring countries including Turkey. It is estimated that over 12.2 million individuals inside Syria now require humanitarian assistance and 7.6 million are internally displaced (SRP 2015-2016). Over 4 million Syrians have fled as refugees (UNHCR).
As of 01 May 2016, Turkey is hosting over 2,7 million Syrian refugees. Over 260,000 reside in 25 camps (over 9% of the total Syrian refugees) across South East Turkey and the remaining live outside of camps (around 91%). Of the 2.5 million living outside of camps, the majority are spread across Turkey, with the majority residing in the border provinces, Sanliurfa, Hatay as well as Istanbul, Mersin, and Adana.
In October 2014, the Government of Turkey adapted the Temporary Protection (TP) Regulation that extends protection and assistance to all Syrians in Turkey and provides refugees with rights and duties and the framework to access health care, education, and social assistance.
Under the overall supervision of the National Project Officer (MA&MM) and direct supervision of the Project Field Coordinator in Adana, the incumbent will be responsible in providing support in project implementation and reporting on the above-mentioned project’s component on Municipality Center in Adana.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist Adana Municipality Migrant Coordination and Harmonization Center’s (hereafter Center) project team in implementing activities and services both inside and outside of the Center in coordination with the project team.
- Prepare activity plans for child care room with project team.
- Organize and implement activities for children to develop their skills.
- Report directly to supervisor the children who are not registered to the formal school. Assist education counsellor during their school registration process completed.
- If required, refer the children and their parents to the counselling units and follow up the children related issues with relevant counsellor.
- Assist with the planning, organization and logistical arrangement of child care room. Inform center supervisor for the needs.
- Assist with the planning, organization, dissemination and announcement of services and activities if required.
- Follow-up and record daily, weekly and monthly participation of children. Submit reports, and accurate collection of data of beneficiaries for the days that on-call assignment is in place.
- Assist the project team during the activities on collecting attendance information from the participants of the activities and event/service photos.
- Provide translation support if required.
- If required, facilitate or implement activities related to the project’s target in other certified profession.
- Behave and implement IOM principles and policies regarding IOM Code of Conduct.
- Act as a mediator among the host community and refugees and migrants in close coordination with the Project Field Coordinator.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- University degree in Education, Social Science, Child development, or in a related field from an accredited academic institution, with two of relevant professional experience; or;
- Completed High school degree from an accredited academic institution, with four years of relevant professional experience.
- Proven experience working with children;
- Experience in liaising with migrant communities;
- Proven analytical, interpersonal and organizational skills,
- Good level of computer literacy;
- Proven mediation and intervention skills.
- Turkish (Fluent)
- Farsi and Arabic (Advantage)
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
Please be advised that this is a local position and as such only applications from candidates with a valid residence / working permit residing in Turkey will be considered.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application, including the most recent CV with a cover letter in English with contact details (name, position, phone and e-mail details) of three references by indicating name of the position applied with its VN number in the subject line of e-mail or to IOM Birlik Mahallesi Sehit Kurbani Akboga Sokak No:24 Cankaya, Ankara by the end of 29 May 2019.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
With 165 member states, a further 8 states holding observer status and offices in over 100 countries, IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM works to help ensure the orderly and humane management of migration, to promote international cooperation on migration issues, to assist in the search for practical solutions to migration problems and to provide humanitarian assistance to migrants in need, including refugees and internally displaced people.
The IOM Constitution recognizes the link between migration and economic, social and cultural development, as well as to the right of freedom of movement.