Vacancy Notice Number:
Istanbul – Turkey
Deadline of Applications:
31 July 2019
IOM PDO / Cultural Orientation unit offers Cultural Orientation training to individuals resettling to Australia, the United Kingdom, Germany, Italy, France, Spain, Portugal in Istanbul and few other European countries in the MENA region.
Under the general supervision of the Project Coordinator, Cultural Orientation and the direct supervision of the Senior Project Assistant, Cultural Orientation, RSC MENA the Project Assistant is responsible for undertaking and guiding case management activities, with the following duties and responsibilities:
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Undertake cultural orientation activities in an assigned area or areas, such as such as training, scheduling or childcare and, as required, guide and assist in monitoring teams of Project Clerks and Project Assistants in organizing and completing cultural orientation activities in an assigned area.
- Undertake cultural orientation training activities, including providing training for a range of resettlement countries like, Australia, UK, Italy, France, Spain, Germany, Portugal and other countries throughout the region, featuring student-centered activities in all classes, assisting in drafting training lesson plans in accordance with RSC MENA or any specific countries’ cultural orientation objectives, assisting in the development of teaching materials, visual aids and bulletin boards supporting the curriculum and assisting in managing and restocking inventories of instructional supplies.
- Undertake cultural orientation scheduling activities for RSC MENA/ CO Unit, including, if assigned, providing all individuals requiring cultural orientation classes the opportunity to attend, assisting in planning and organizing circuit rides in an efficient and effective manner and providing logistical circuit ride support is provided when necessary. Train Project Assistants and Project Clerks to provide appropriate scheduling services.
- Assist in overseeing cultural orientation childcare activities for RSC MENA/CO Unit, including, if assigned, monitoring and guiding staff members providing childcare services, helping ensure childcare spaces are appropriate, adequate and well-maintained, training childcare staff members to conduct basic cultural orientation activities designed for children and monitoring the work of childcare staff members.
- Through oversight and quality check (QC) measures, verify WRAPS or statistics for all resettlement countries are updated as needed with cultural orientation-related content, including scheduling data and case updates. Provide supervisors with relevant information needed for regular reports on cultural orientation activities, including program narratives and statistical reports.
- In coordination with supervisors, liaise as needed with other teams and units in RSC MENA, other RSCs and other non-RSC CO sites. Provide regular reports on the work being accomplished within the team to supervisors and team members.
- Train other cultural orientation team members as needed to efficiently and effectively manage cultural orientation activities, update WRAPS and other databases accurately and to monitor and guide team members and activities.
- In order to develop and maintain cultural orientation training-related skills, participate in and contribute to teacher trainings and staff development seminars and engage in self-directed study for professional development, including reading resettlement updates, language tutorials, attending cultural orientation-related workshops and seminars.
- Undertake duty travel as needed to participate in cultural orientation-related activities, for meetings and for training.
- Demonstrate an in-depth understanding of the USRAP and other resettlement activities/processing, SOPs and WRAPS or relevant database of resettlement countries, as well as the ability to remain professional, impartial and unbiased during all interactions with applicants and colleagues.
- Maintain the confidentiality and integrity of all IOM and RSC-related information by implementing control procedures in line with USRAP or other resettlement countries’ standards of conduct and data protection rules. Alert the Project Focal Point, Project Coordinator or IOM/RSC management of any non-compliance to SOPs or codes of conduct by IOM/RSC staff members.
- Beside the Cultural orientation related duties, incumbent of this position should have language skill in Arabic and undertake duties such as ;
- Provide direct interpretation and translation services for refugee training sessions / refugee processing interviews (in addition to translating project related documents, if required).
- Provide direct bilateral and multilateral interpretation services.
- Facilitate the two-way communication by maintaining professionalism, diligence, impartiality, objectivity, and being cooperative and courteous to both participants and trainer.
- Assist in secondary, related tasks, such as informing the applicant(s) for the schedule of programs and assist them with their needs.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Education and Experience:
- Completed secondary education required
- Five years of working experience with secondary education; three years of working experience with bachelor’s degree
- Have lived, studied or worked in Australia, NZ, US, UK or any other foreign countries especially Europe, Canada.
- Previous teaching and training background
- Experience working with refugees
- Ability to use own initiative and work under pressure with minimum supervision
- Excellent computer skills - Word, Excel and Internet
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Attention to detail and ability to organize
- Self-motivated and objective driven
- Thorough knowledge of English and Arabic is required.
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioral indicators level 1
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
Please be advised that this is a local position and as such only applications from candidates with a valid residence / working permit residing in Turkey will be considered.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application including the most recent CV with a cover letter in English with contact details (name, position, phone and e-mail details) of three references by indicating name of the position applied with its VN number and the city applied for in the subject line of the e-mail by the end of 31 July 2019.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
With 165 member states, a further 8 states holding observer status and offices in over 100 countries, IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM works to help ensure the orderly and humane management of migration, to promote international cooperation on migration issues, to assist in the search for practical solutions to migration problems and to provide humanitarian assistance to migrants in need, including refugees and internally displaced people.
The IOM Constitution recognizes the link between migration and economic, social and cultural development, as well as to the right of freedom of movement.
- Project Assistant
- National Programme Officer (Immigration and Border Management (IBM))-re-advertised
- National Programme Officer (Immigration and Border Management (IBM))
- Senior Data Quality Control Assistant
- Data Processing Assistant
- Senior MEAL Assistant
- Senior Project Data Assistant (M and E)
- Warehouse Assistant
- HR Assistant (re-advertised)