Vacancy Notice Number:
Operations Assistant (Field Support – Correspondence)-re-advertised
Istanbul – Turkey
One Year Fixed Term Contract (G4) – with possible extension
Deadline of Applications:
30 May 2022
Number of People to be hired
Internal & External Candidates
Since the inception of IOM in 1951, Movement Operations have been and continue to be a fundamental pillar of the Organization’s work. The organized movement of persons in need of international migration assistance is a primary mandate of the Organization and a cornerstone of IOM’s operations. This mandate has resulted in the international transport of more than 15 million migrants and refugees worldwide. Movement Operations departments in various IOM missions, coordinated under the division of Resettlement and Movement Management (RMM) in the Department of Operations and Emergencies (DOE) at IOM’s Geneva Headquarters, are responsible for all aspects of travel for migrants and refugees under IOM’s auspices, in accordance with the various framework agreements with resettlement and receiving Governments and partners across the spectrum of the Organization's programmes.
Under the general supervision of the Operations Officer and the direct supervision of Senior Operations Associate – Field Support – Ground Logistics, the Operations Assistant, Field Support is responsible for undertaking movement operations activities in the field, with the following duties and responsibilities:
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist with communications activities in an assigned area or areas, such as such as case consultation, the information center and/or public affairs.
- Assist in providing efficient and effective case consultation services for individuals who appear in- person at IOM Istanbul, by providing efficient, effective, accurate, clear and courteous information to individuals during case consultation.
- Provide information to individuals through the Istanbul information center and other available resources, ensuring that all communication undertaken by phone, email, through website(s) and other technological means and, if relevant, in person, is efficient, effective, accurate, clear and courteous. Assist in verifying that the information provided by the IOM Istanbul information center is up to date, relevant and accessible to all persons, including to at-risk individuals, and that the staff members providing the information are adequately trained.
- In close coordination with supervisors, as requested, assist with activities related to public affairs, including, as assigned, assisting with producing and distributing materials for individuals served by IOM, IOM partners and donors, including print, audio, visual and online materials.
- Update MiMOSA as needed with communications-related content.
- Undertake quality checks (QC) of communications-related data in MiMOSA and other communications tools such as email systems as directed by correspondence team members or supervisors. Proactively bring communications-related backlogs or other issues to the attention of supervisor.
- Provide regular reports on the work being accomplished to the Project Focal Point, correspondence, and/or supervisors and team members.
- Undertake duty travel as needed to participate in meetings or training.
- Demonstrate an in-depth understanding of resettlement SOPs and MiMOSA, as well as the ability to remain professional, impartial and unbiased during all interactions with applicants and colleagues.
- Maintain and ensure the confidentiality and integrity of all relevant paperwork in line with standards of conduct and data protection rules. Alert the Operations Assistant (Team Leader) or management of any non-compliance to SOPs or codes of conduct by IOM staff members or partners.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
- Completed secondary education required
- Four years of working experience with secondary education; two years of working experience with Bachelor’s degree
- Thorough knowledge of English
- Attention to detail and ability to organize
- Excellent computer skills - Word, Excel and Internet
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to work under pressure with minimum supervision
- Fluency in English, Turkish and Farsi is required.
- Working knowledge of Arabic, Pashto or Dari is advantageous.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity:
Shows respect and sensitivity towards gender, culture, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, political conviction and other differences.
- Integrity and transparency:
Upholds and promotes the Standards of Conduct and Unified Staff Regulations and Rules.
- Delivers on commitments; manages the organization’s resources reliably and sustainably.
- Embraces and encourages transparency, balancing this with the need for discretion and confidentiality as appropriate.
Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter and willingness to improve knowledge and skills.
- Shows self-control and persistence when faced with difficult problems and remains calm in stressful situations.
- Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1
- Teamwork: Establishes strong relationships with colleagues and partners; relates well to people at all levels.
- Is fully aware of the team purpose, respects and understands individual and collective responsibilities.
- Willingly puts in extra effort without being asked and adopts a "hands-on" approach whenever necessary to achieve team objectives.
- Coordinates own work with that of the team to meet agreed priorities and deadlines.
- Delivering Results:
•Produces quality results and provides quality services to clients.
- Meets goals and timelines for delivery of products or services.
- Shows understanding of own role and responsibilities in relation to expected results.
- Managing and sharing knowledge:
- Shares knowledge and learning willingly, and proactively seeks to learn from the experiences of others.
•Accepts personal responsibility for quality and timeliness of work.
- Operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules.
- Accepts and gives constructive criticism; acknowledges and corrects mistakes and apply lessons learned for improvement.
- Presents information using language and sequence of ideas that is easy for recipients to understand.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
Please be advised that this is a local position and as such only applications from candidates with a valid residence / working permit residing in Turkey will be considered.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application including the most recent CV with a cover letter in English with contact details (name, position, phone and e-mail details) of three references by indicating name of the position applied with its VN number in the subject line of the e-mail to email@example.com or to IOM Birlik Mahallesi Sehit Kurbani Akboga Sok. No:24 06610, Çankaya, Ankara Turkey by the end of 30 May 2022.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
With 165 member states, a further 8 states holding observer status and offices in over 100 countries, IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM works to help ensure the orderly and humane management of migration, to promote international cooperation on migration issues, to assist in the search for practical solutions to migration problems and to provide humanitarian assistance to migrants in need, including refugees and internally displaced people.
The IOM Constitution recognizes the link between migration and economic, social and cultural development, as well as to the right of freedom of movement.