Vacancy Notice Number:
Operations Assistant (Movement)
Ankara - Turkey
One Year Fixed Term Graded Contract (G5)– with possible extension
Deadline of Applications:
05 October 2021
Number of People to be hired
Internal & External Candidates
Since the inception of IOM in 1951, Movement Operations have been and continue to be a fundamental pillar of the Organization’s work. The organized movement of persons in need of international migration assistance is a primary mandate of the Organization and a cornerstone of IOM’s operations. This mandate has resulted in the international transport of more than 15 million migrants and refugees worldwide. Movement Operations departments in various IOM missions, coordinated under the division of Resettlement and Movement Management (RMM) in the Department of Operations and Emergencies (DOE) at IOM’s Geneva Headquarters, are responsible for all aspects of travel for migrants and refugees under IOM’s auspices, in accordance with the various framework agreements with resettlement and receiving Governments and partners across the spectrum of the Organization's programmes.
Under the general supervision of the Operations Officer and the direct supervision of Senior Operations Assistant, the Operations Assistant (Team Leader), Field Support is responsible for undertaking movement operations activities in the field, with the following duties and responsibilities:
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coordinate, schedule, and book travel for individuals upon receipt of travel-ready status and/or request in accordance with travel requirements, including but not limited to the distribution of Advance Booking Notifications (ABNs), updates, domestic flights, cancellations, and departure notifications.
- Organize and complete all bookings in a timely manner and in accordance with the Handbook of IOM Tariffs (HIT) and standard operating procedures (SOPs) from the Division of Resettlement and Movement Management (RMM). Under the supervision of the Senior Operations Assistant, distribute travel information to internal and external stakeholders.
- Compile and analyze descriptive statistics, using I-GATOR to capture costs and prepare travel loan paperwork as specified in SOPs and in accordance with host government’s procedures.
- Create movement data files, by ABN, for all individuals in accordance with SOPs and for IOM accountability.
- In accordance with local practices and RMM guidelines and standards, and in close coordination with supervisors, identify and assign escorts to accompany vulnerable individuals.
- In coordination with Senior Operations Assistant, process exit permission paperwork and IRCC Travel Documents in accordance with established standards and the local guidelines.
- Conduct identity and travel document verification prior to the distribution of travel documentation to refugees, immigrants, and migrants.
- Conduct pre-departure counselling on pre-embarkation procedures and special needs during travel (such as meals, medication, wheelchairs, and medical conditions) as needed. Identify beneficiary vulnerabilities and coordinate appropriate action to ensure they are addressed.
- Provide regular feedback on work being accomplished to the Senior Operations Assistant and keep supervisors immediately informed of any issues that arise.
- Demonstrate an in-depth understanding of relevant Movement Operations SOPs and Movements-related systems and databases (including i-GATOR, MiMOSA, and Amadeus), as well as the ability to remain professional, impartial, and unbiased during all interactions with migrants and colleagues per the IOM Code of Conduct and instructions on the Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse (PSEA.)
- Maintain and ensure the confidentiality and integrity of all relevant paperwork in line with standards of conduct and data protection rules. Alert Senior Operations Assistant or Management of any non-compliance to SOPs or codes of conduct by IOM staff members or partners.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
- Five years of working experience with secondary [high school] education; three years of working experience with bachelor’s degree.
- Prior Movement Operations or Transportation Experience a strong advantage; and,
- Strong computer skills - Word, Excel and Internet; past experience with Movement Operations-related databases and systems (including i-GATOR, MiMOSA, and Amadeus) is a strong advantage.
- Fluency in English is required.
- Working knowledge of Turkish is an advantage.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity:
• Shows respect and sensitivity towards gender, culture, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, political conviction, and other differences.
• Encourages the inclusion of all team members and stakeholders while demonstrating the ability to work constructively with people with different backgrounds and orientations.
• Promotes the benefits of diversity; values diverse points of view and demonstrate this in daily work and decision making.
• Challenges prejudice, biases and intolerance in the workplace.
- Integrity and transparency:
• Upholds and promotes the Standards of Conduct and Unified Staff Regulations and Rules.
• Delivers on commitments; manages the organization’s resources reliably and sustainably.
• Embraces and encourages transparency, balancing this with the need for discretion and confidentiality as appropriate.
• Maintains impartiality and takes prompt action in cases of unprofessional or unethical behaviour.
• Does not abuse one’s position and acts without consideration of personal gain. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns.
• Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter and willingness to improve knowledge and skills.
• Seeks to raise professional standards in self and others through daily work and activities.
• Adapts quickly to change and is decisive and versatile in face of uncertainty.
• Shows self-control and persistence when faced with difficult problems and remains calm in stressful situations.
• Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1
- Teamwork: Establishes strong relationships with colleagues and partners; relates well to people at all levels.
• Is fully aware of the team purpose, respects and understands individual and collective responsibilities.
• Willingly puts in extra effort without being asked and adopts a "hands-on" approach whenever necessary to achieve team objectives.
• Coordinates own work with that of the team to meet agreed priorities and deadlines.
- Delivering Results:
•Produces quality results and provides quality services to clients.
• Meets goals and timelines for delivery of products or services.
• Manages time and resources efficiently, monitoring progress and making adjustments as necessary.
• Shows understanding of own role and responsibilities in relation to expected results.
- Managing and sharing knowledge:
•Keeps abreast of new developments in own field of competence and creates opportunities for knowledge management initiatives.
• Shares knowledge and learning willingly, and proactively seeks to learn from the experiences of others.
• Puts new learning into practice and draws on diverse sources of ideas and inspiration.
• Contributes to the identification of improvements to work processes and assists in implementing them.
•Accepts personal responsibility for quality and timeliness of work.
• Takes ownership of all responsibilities within own role and honours commitments to others and to the Organization.
• Operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules.
• Accepts and gives constructive criticism; acknowledges and corrects mistakes and apply lessons learned for improvement.
•Presents information using language and sequence of ideas that is easy for recipients to understand.
• Adapts communication to the recipient’s needs, asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication.
• Encourages others to share their views, using active listening to demonstrate openness and to build understanding of different perspectives.
• Listens carefully and genuinely to the views and positions of others; acts on received information.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
Please be advised that this is a local position and as such only applications from candidates with a valid residence / working permit residing in Turkey will be considered.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application including the most recent CV with a cover letter in English with contact details (name, position, phone and e-mail details) of three references by indicating name of the position applied with its VN number in the subject line of the e-mail or to IOM Birlik Mahallesi Sehit Kurbani Akboga Sok. No:24 06610, Çankaya, Ankara Turkey by the end of 05 October 2021.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
With 165 member states, a further 8 states holding observer status and offices in over 100 countries, IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM works to help ensure the orderly and humane management of migration, to promote international cooperation on migration issues, to assist in the search for practical solutions to migration problems and to provide humanitarian assistance to migrants in need, including refugees and internally displaced people.
The IOM Constitution recognizes the link between migration and economic, social and cultural development, as well as to the right of freedom of movement.
- On-call Interpreter
- HR Intern
- Finance Assistant (Compliance)
- Field Security Assistant (SSAFE)
- Project Assistant (Livelihood)
- Project Assistant (Agriculture)
- HR Assistant
- National Officer (Protection & Psychosocial)
- On Call Project Assistant (Outreach)
- Project Assistant (Outreach) - re-advertised
- Medical Escort (Physician) – On-call basis
- Medical Escort (Psychiatrist) – On-call basis
- Medical Escort (Nurse) - On-Call Basis
- Data Processing Assistant
- Data Processing Assistant
- Data Processing Assistant
- Data Processing Assistant
- Migration Health Nurse
- Migration Health Nurse
- Project Assistant (Special Education)
- Project Assistant (CBCM)
- Senior Project Assistant (MHPSS)- re-advertised
- Project Assistant (Social Services)
- Project Assistant (Community Support and Social Activities)
- Project Assistant (Education)
- Project Assistant (Vocational Guidance)
- Project Assistant (Health)
- Project Field Coordinator
- Logistics Assistant
- Project Assistant
- Senior Project Assistant (Psychosocial Support)- re-advertised
- National Project Officer (Food Security)
- National Project Officer (Early Recovery and Livelihood)
- Senior Project Assistant (Early Recovery and Livelihood)
- Senior Project Assistant (Food Security)