|Vacancy Notice Number:||SVN#TR/2019/11|
|Position Title:||Operations Assistant|
|Classification:||6 Months Special Short Term Graded contract–with possible extension (G5)|
|Deadline of Applications:||24 January 2019|
|Number of People to be hired||1|
|Eligibility:||Internal and External Candidates|
Under the overall supervision of the Emergency Response Officer and the direct supervision of the Operations Officer, the incumbent will provide support related to operational activities in the emergency response under the Cross border operations inside Syria to ensure and promote compliance to the IOM Standard Operating Procedures and Operations guidelines.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Assist in the implementation of project activities and contractual obligations including planning, coordinating, mobilizing implementing partners, distributing of Non-Food Items (NFI), emergency shelter and other related humanitarian response in the cross border operations.
2. Provide administrative support in the project implementation including filing, preparing purchase and payment requests, following up of delivery and status of goods and performing other financial activities in coordination with procurement and resource management unit.
3. Coordinate with the implementing partners on the drafting of the service agreements, planning for the delivery of items (NFI, Shelter, etc.) determining actual distribution costs, submission of documentations (distribution plan, good receipts, waybill etc.) and ensure delivery of logistics requirements.
4. Carry out regular field visits to monitor and follow through the transhipment process at the government designated borders and ensure proper, accurate, timely delivery and handover of items to the selected implementing partners operating inside Syria
5. Coordinate with partners and authorities including logistics cluster hubs for the delivery/shipment plan, acquiring of transport slots, booking of trucks.
6. Maintain communication with Turkish Authorities and customs brokers to ensure timely access of goods and be able to report delays and schedule transshipment.
7. Support the coordination activities with the humanitarian clusters (NFI, shelter, logistics, CCCM) and other coordination mechanisms such as cluster organized review board.
8. Provide support to ensure internal coordination between the operations, logistics and warehouse including regular check of the stocks availability, following up delivery schedules and share relevant information (ie. IP delivery plan, types of trucks, name of IPs, etc.)
9. Maintain regular communication with the implementing partners inside Syria and to logistics and transport companies.
10. Gather data from the field related to needs assessments, distributions and evaluations and maintain database accurately and in a timely manner. Maintain the database and conduct basic data analysis.
11. Ensure that all correspondence and operations are following the UNDSS rules and procedures, IOM standards of Conduct and Confidentially Agreement.
12. Perform such other duties as may be required.
• University degree in Management, Humanitarian Assistance or a related field from an accredited academic institution, with three years of relevant professional experience; or
• Completed High school degree from an accredited academic institution, with five years of relevant professional experience.
• Experience in humanitarian response or in the delivery of emergency humanitarian support including transport;
• Experience in the field of migration issues, project design and implementation;
• Familiarity with administrative management;
• Extensive work experience in challenging environments and operational activities in a post-conflict area required;
• Experience in liaising with local, regional and international counterparts and humanitarian partners needed;
Experience working in an International Organization is an advantage.
• Fluency in English and Arabic is required.
• Working knowledge of Turkish is advantageous.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity:
Shows respect and sensitivity towards gender, culture, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, political conviction and other differences.
• Encourages the inclusion of all team members and stakeholders while demonstrating the ability to work constructively with people with different backgrounds and orientations.
• Promotes the benefits of diversity; values diverse points of view and demonstrate this in daily work and decision making.
• Challenges prejudice, biases and intolerance in the workplace.
• Integrity and transparency:
Upholds and promotes the Standards of Conduct and Unified Staff Regulations and Rules.
• Delivers on commitments; manages the organization’s resources reliably and sustainably.
• Embraces and encourages transparency, balancing this with the need for discretion and confidentiality as appropriate.
• Maintains impartiality and takes prompt action in cases of unprofessional or unethical behaviour.
• Does not abuse one’s position and acts without consideration of personal gain. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns.
Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter and willingness to improve knowledge and skills.
• Seeks to raise professional standards in self and others through daily work and activities.
• Adapts quickly to change and is decisive and versatile in face of uncertainty.
• Shows self-control and persistence when faced with difficult problems and remains calm in stressful situations.
• Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1
• Teamwork: Establishes strong relationships with colleagues and partners; relates well to people at all levels.
• Is fully aware of the team purpose, respects and understands individual and collective responsibilities.
• Willingly puts in extra effort without being asked and adopts a "hands-on" approach whenever necessary to achieve team objectives.
• Coordinates own work with that of the team to meet agreed priorities and deadlines.
• Delivering Results:
•Produces quality results and provides quality services to clients.
• Meets goals and timelines for delivery of products or services.
• Manages time and resources efficiently, monitoring progress and making adjustments as necessary.
• Shows understanding of own role and responsibilities in relation to expected results.
• Managing and sharing knowledge:
•Keeps abreast of new developments in own field of competence and creates opportunities for knowledge management initiatives.
• Shares knowledge and learning willingly, and proactively seeks to learn from the experiences of others.
• Puts new learning into practice and draws on diverse sources of ideas and inspiration.
• Contributes to the identification of improvements to work processes and assists in implementing them.
•Accepts personal responsibility for quality and timeliness of work.
• Takes ownership of all responsibilities within own role and honours commitments to others and to the Organization.
• Operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules.
• Accepts and gives constructive criticism; acknowledges and corrects mistakes and apply lessons learned for improvement.
•Presents information using language and sequence of ideas that is easy for recipients to understand.
• Adapts communication to the recipient’s needs, asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication.
• Encourages others to share their views, using active listening to demonstrate openness and to build understanding of different perspectives.
• Listens carefully and genuinely to the views and positions of others; acts on received information.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
Please be advised that this is a local position and as such only applications from candidates with a valid residence / working permit residing in Turkey will be considered.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application including the most recent CV with a cover letter in English with contact details (name, position, phone and e-mail details) of three references by indicating name of the position applied with its VN number in the subject line of the e-mail to to email@example.com or to IOM Birlik Mahallesi Sehit Kurbani Akboga Sok. No:24 06610, Çankaya, Ankara Turkey by the end of 24 January 2019.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
With 165 member states, a further 8 states holding observer status and offices in over 100 countries, IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM works to help ensure the orderly and humane management of migration, to promote international cooperation on migration issues, to assist in the search for practical solutions to migration problems and to provide humanitarian assistance to migrants in need, including refugees and internally displaced people.
The IOM Constitution recognizes the link between migration and economic, social and cultural development, as well as to the right of freedom of movement.
- Finance Assistant (Compliance)
- National Migration Health Physician
- Project Assistant (Case Management)
- Project Assistant (Social Work)
- Project Assistant (Psychosocial Animation)
- Field Assistant (Quality Control)
- Data Processing Assistant - Istanbul
- Data Processing Assistant - Ankara
- Migration Health Nurse
- MPM Programme IM-GIS Assistant (Displacement Tracking Matrix / DTM Turkey)
- National Project Officer (FAP)
- Monitoring and Evaluation Assistant (Accountability to affected population)