|Vacancy Notice Number:||VN#TR/2018/186|
|Position Title:||Operations Team Leader|
|Classification:||6 months Special Short Term Graded Contract (G7)–with possible extension|
|Deadline of Applications:||9 November 2018|
|Number of People to be hired||1|
|Eligibility:||Internal and External Candidates|
The conflict inside Syria remained unresolved and the heavy fighting between the government and opposition forces continued throughout the country causing both destruction and division resulting in massive humanitarian needs across Syria as well as massive displacement of the population. The number of people in need of assistance has grown to over 10 million, including 6.4 million internally displaced persons.
IOM supports the implementation of the whole-of-Syria approach in the framework of the UN Security Council 2165 passed on Monday 14 July 2014, authorizing the UN/IOM to initiate cross-border operations from neighbouring countries. IOM Turkey works with CCCM, Shelter/NFI Working Groups, International Non-governmental Organisations (INGOs) and Syrian partners on identifying vulnerable displaced populations inside Syria, procuring required Non Food Items (NFIs), organising transportation across the border and distributing the items to Syrian people in need.
Under the overall supervision of the Programme Coordinator and the direct supervision of the Deputy Programme Coordinator (CCCM, Shelter and NFI (Cross Border)) and in close coordination with the Operations Officer, the incumbent will lead the field staffs in organizing the regular operations activities under the cross border emergency response programme for Northern Syria to ensure and promote compliance to the IOM standard Operating procedures and Operations guidelines.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support the Operations Officer in managing the implementation of the emergency response activities including planning, coordination, mobilizing implementing partners, delivery, distribution and monitoring of NFI, emergency shelter and other related humanitarian response under the cross border programme.
- Take the lead in the preparation of the cross border transhipment schedule, deployment plan, consolidating the logistics requirements, coordinating with other project team/unit of (ie. CCCM, Shelter,livelihood, etc) of their shipment.
- Take the lead in providing the IOM consolidated transhipment plans to the Logistics Cluster and support the Operations Officer in the external logistics coordination activities including participation in the regular cluster coordination meetings. Train and supervise operations. Participate actively in the administrative preparation of the project implementation plan including participating the budget review submitted by the implementing partners, filing, preparing purchase and payment requests, follow up of delivery and status of goods and perform other required financial tasks in coordination with procurement and resource management units.
- Coordinate with the implementing partners for the drafting of the service agreements, planning for the delivery of items (NFI, Shelter, etc.) determining actual distribution costs, submission of documentations (distribution plan, good receipts, waybill etc.) and ensure provision of the logistics requirements.
- Carry out regular field visits and monitor the transhipment processes at the UN designated borders crossings including coordination with Custom authorities and UN Monitoring Mission to ensure proper, accurate, timely delivery and handover of items to the selected implementing partners operating inside Syria.
- Coordinate with partners and authorities including logistics hub officials for the daily delivery activities, acquiring of transport slots, booking of trucks and other required notifications – name of IPs, representative at the border, truck details, etc.
- Monitor and promote internal coordination between the operations and logistics and warehouse including regular check of the stocks availability, following up delivery schedules and share relevant information (ie. IP delivery plan, Types of trucks, name of IPs, etc.)
- Maintainregular communication with implementing partners inside Syria and follow through shipment from the Turkey border including monitoring the truck movements and receipt of the items in the Implementing Partners’ warehouse inside Syria.
- Comply with the IOM Standards of Conduct and the IOM Confidentiality Agreement. Maintain a professional appearance and migrant-friendly demeanour at all times.
- Maintain positive working relationships within the IOM team, UN Officials implementing partners and other entities involve in the Cross border operations.
- Ensure confidentiality of all correspondence and operations and abide with UNDSS rules and procedures.
- Perform other such related duties as may be required.
- University degree in Management, Humanitarian Assistance or a related field from an accredited academic institution with at five years of relevant professional experience;
- Completed High School degree from an accredited academic institution with seven years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience in operations, coordination, transportation and general administrative duties;
- Experience in liaising with national, regional and international institutions including UN agencies;
- Proven experience in drafting and preparing clear and concise correspondences;
- Experience working in an international organization an advantage
- High level of computer literacy, particularly in Microsoft programs such as Excel and Word.
- Thorough knowledge of Arabic, English and Turkish.
- Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms
- Client Orientation – works effectively well with clients and stakeholders
- Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others
- Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
- Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services
- Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
- Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others.
- Planning and Organizing - plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
- Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter
- Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation.
- Technological Awareness - displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
- Resource Mobilization - works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
Please be advised that this is a local position and as such only applications from candidates with a valid residence / working permit residing in Turkey will be considered.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application including the most recent CV with a cover letter in English with contact details (name, position, phone and e-mail details) of three references by indicating name of the position applied with its VN number in the subject line of the e-mail to to email@example.com or to IOM Birlik Mahallesi Sehit Kurbani Akboga Sok. No:24 06610, Çankaya, Ankara Turkey by the end of 9 November 2018.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
With 165 member states, a further 8 states holding observer status and offices in over 100 countries, IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM works to help ensure the orderly and humane management of migration, to promote international cooperation on migration issues, to assist in the search for practical solutions to migration problems and to provide humanitarian assistance to migrants in need, including refugees and internally displaced people.
The IOM Constitution recognizes the link between migration and economic, social and cultural development, as well as to the right of freedom of movement.
- Finance Assistant (Compliance)
- National Migration Health Physician
- Project Assistant (Case Management)
- Project Assistant (Social Work)
- Project Assistant (Psychosocial Animation)
- Field Assistant (Quality Control)
- Operations Assistant
- Data Processing Assistant - Istanbul
- Data Processing Assistant - Ankara
- Migration Health Nurse
- MPM Programme IM-GIS Assistant (Displacement Tracking Matrix / DTM Turkey)
- National Project Officer (FAP)
- Monitoring and Evaluation Assistant (Accountability to affected population)