Medecins du Monde Turkey (MDM-T) / Dünya Doktorları Dernegi (DDD) is a Turkish based humanitarian non-governmental organisation that facilitates access to healthcare for populations affected by armed conflict, violence, natural disasters, disease, famine, poverty and exclusion.
Our organization collaborates with partners and key stakeholders to implement projects that facilitate access to primary and secondary-level healthcare services to respond to the medical needs of displaced population.
DDD is the 16th member of the Doctors of the World International Network that is committed to meeting the health needs of vulnerable people globally.
Since 2015, DDD implements programs in both Turkey and Syria providing refugee and IDP communities with free access to healthcare services. DDD works with a range of humanitarian professionals and technical experts to provide Primary Healthcare (PHC), Mental Health and Psychosocial Support (MHPSS)services as well as sexual and reproductive health (SRH).
Since the beginning of the Syria and Iraqi crises, Turkey has become host to over 3 million refugees, migrants and asylum seekers which led to an increasing demand for health services. In this context, DDD’s intervention aims to assist local public health systems in providing and improving access to health and health related services to vulnerable populations among refugees and migrants in Turkey, specifically in Hatay, Izmir and Istanbul. In Syria, DDD runs health facilities in Idlib and Afrin provinces to deliver health-related services to IDPs.
Hierarchical & Functional links
Based in Antakya, the Pharmacy Manager is directly reports to the Medical Coordinator.
- Detailed Activities
- Staff Management
- Other related tasks
- Managing the medical stocks using specific tools (Sagastock).
- Data entry of consumption on weekly reporting sheets and close follow up of the stocks in warehouses and health facilities.
- Closely follow up the threshold stock in the warehouse and alert the Medical Coordinator when corrective/remedial action is required.
- In charge of the monthly medical inventory (physical counts) at warehouse(s) level. Ensure that all items have bin stock cards in order and updated, stocks are well organized and correctly stored, well protected and easily accessible (cleanliness, security, access, etc.).
- Ensure that the pharmacy refrigerator, warehouse monitoring devices (thermometer, logtag, others) are functioning properly, and alert the logistics if there is any problem.
- Preparing Medical Kits/shipments in the warehouse(s) and coordinating with relevant pharmacy partners as well as logistics team to deliver the supplies to the partners.
- Data entry of shipments done to the partners. Sharing the shipments details with the Data Manager.
- Control the quality of the medical items received from supplier(s) (e.g. expiry dates, packing conditions, manufacturer, country of origin, etc.)
- Supporting and participating in all drug and medical material supply / purchasing processes and ensuring overall efficiency and effectiveness in all stages of procurement.
- Identify and provide trainings on pharmacy management to pharma partners’ team if needed.
- Whenever requested, support Medical Referent-Partners by providing technical feedback on each and every item requested by partners.
- Comparing the needs requests with the Reference Master Lists for Medicines and Disposables and identify technical problems/issues.
- Maintaining track record of partners/health facilities needs requests and analysing the monthly needs.
- In close collaboration with the CME manager he/she is in charge of educational needs identification, design and implementation of capacity building and training activities/programs for staff and partners’ staff from supported health facilities in stock and pharmacy management and any other area of competence to be developed in relation to pharmacy services, specifically collaborate in the implementation of the Continuing Medical Education Human Resources (CME-HR) yearly plan of action in all trainings and capacity building activities related to the pharmacy sector including providing technical support to the health partners in all things pertaining to pharmacy data collection and use of DATA related software (e.g. Sagastock).
- Follow up on the trainings provided and provide feedback to the partners, the Medical Coordinator and the specialist health support team.
- Analyze jointly with the Program DATA Manager the service and medicines monthly reporting data received from the Health Facilities (PHC Facility Monthly Work Load (MWL) reporting form and PHC Facility Monthly Pharmacy Utilization (MPU) reporting form) to monitor prescribing practices and rational use of medicines according to WHO and agreed international standards, including the rational use of antibiotics.
- Represent in meetings with WHO/ health cluster and other medical actors for pharmacy and warehouse management or any other related topics.
- Participate to internal /external meetings dealing with medical supplies and any other meetings as requested by the Medical Coordinator.
- Conduct field visits to the NWS warehouses to ensure proper stock management procedures.
- Manage and supervise all pharmacists, pharmacist assistants, warehouse supervisors and warehouse assistants in all project facilities
- Carry out ad-hoc as well as yearly evaluations of pharma staffs based in the warehouses and health facilities and take remedial action as and when required with support from the Program Medcial Manager and Medical Coordination.
- Participate in the recruitment process of all pharmacy staff.
- Report any HR issues to the Medical Coordinator.
- Carry out staff meetings for the pharma team as and when required.
- Conduct pharmacy management trainings, when needed, in liaison with the mission pharmacist.
- Collect and collate for submission to the Medical Coordinator the PHC Facility Monthly Pharmacy Utilization (MPU) reporting forms from all health facilities and seek to obtain adequate information from Partners pharmacies.
- Participating in reporting according to guidelines (SitReps, medical statistical reports, etc.) and reporting on drug consumptions and medical devices dispensed according to protocols while monitoring rational prescribing and identifying inconsistencies and unusual patterns.
- Working closely with Mission Pharmacist a Coordination to maintain a global record of pharmacy data including shipments and consumptions.
- Report any security related issues to the Field Coordinator and Medical Coordinator.
- Report any feedback/ comments come from beneficiaries about drugs (effectiveness, complications, side effects, etc.) to the Medical Coordinator.
- Provide a mission report and/or handover document at the end of contract.
Other tasks related to the position:
- Keep the team informed on any issues related to pharmaceutical / medical aspects.
- Supporting operational organization of field trips and programs/activities.
- Translate verbally and in writing from Arabic/English as necessary.
- Carry out any other related tasks as assigned by supervisor/line manager.
- Participates in the team meeting
- Assist in any other tasks related to the position, as required by DDD Management.
Compliance & Ethics
Promote and encourage a culture of compliance and ethics throughout Dünya Doktorları Derneği. As applicable to the position, maintains a clear understanding of Dünya Doktorları Derneği and donor compliance and ethics standards and adheres to those standards. Conducts work with the highest level of integrity. Communicates these values to staff and to partners and requires them to adhere to these values.
Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse
Actively promote PSEA (Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse) standards within Dünya Doktorları Derneği and amongst beneficiaries served by Dünya Doktorları Derneği.
NB: considering the purpose and values of the organisation, DDD requests to its employee complete flexibility in term of duties and commitment, as their job description and job title can be adjusted throughout the year according to needs and priorities.
Education & Qualification
- Certified Pharmacy university degree.
- 3 years of previous experience at pharmacy management with NGOs work.
Skills and qualities required
- Familiar with international NGO culture or multicultural environment;
- Proactive, adaptable and capacity to take initiatives;
- Good Computer skills;
- Ability to work independently, take the initiative and take responsibility
- Resilience to stress;
- Diplomacy and open-mindedness;
- Good analytical skills;
- Organisation and ability to manage priorities;
- Proactive approach to identifying solutions;
- Required: Proficiency in both written and oral English and Arabic.
- Desirable: Turkish
Dünya Doktorları Derneği is an equal opportunity employer whereby we ensure all hiring and employment decisions, and operates all programs, services, and functions without the practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, disability, genetic information or any other status or characteristic protected under applicable law.
How to apply:
- Please apply with your CV and motivation letter in ENGLISH through our website.
- The deadline for submitting the applications is 24/05/2020.
Due to the urgency to fill this post, DDD reserves the right to review the CVs on a rolling basis and selected candidates may be interviewed prior to the closing dates listed, therefore early applications are encouraged.
DDD is not in a position to respond to every applicant individually due to the anticipated high number of applications.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
DDD retains the discretion to re-advertise the vacancy, to cancel the recruitment, to offer a contract with a modified job description or for a different duration, or to offer a contract at a lower grade.
Dünya Doktorları Derneği
DDD in Turkey, in collaboration with different partners, is running a project aiming at facilitating access and orienting beneficiaries to primary and secondary level of health care services, providing Psycho Social Support for the refugees and migrants in Turkey.