SKL-International is looking for an experienced and results-driven planning coach to coordinate the Migration Master Planning (MMP) process of the Turkey component of the Resilience in Local Governance Project (RESLOG) at regional level, focused on municipalities in areas of migration, integration and resilience.
The project is financed by the Swedish Government as part of its regional support policies for the Syrian crisis. In Turkey, the project is working with selected unions of municipalities, municipalities and other local actors, such as citizens’ assemblies.
The overall objective of the programme in Turkey is to contribute to enhanced policy framework, improved dialogue, and strategic capacity for sustainable and resilient local governance in Turkey. The purpose of the programme encompasses
· contributing to developing national migration policies that reflect local realities and needs,
· strengthening inter-municipal learning and support structures through regional unions, and
· improving integrated planning and holistic governance at the municipal level.
The project is managed by a project office based in Ankara, Turkey. Overall project management is through SKL-International’s head office in Stockholm, who oversees the Turkish component, as well as a component implemented in Lebanon. The planning coach of the Migration Master Planning (MMP) process is expected to be based in Çukurova Region (Adana, Mersin or Hatay), with frequent travel within the region.
The initial period of assignment is one year, with a possible extension.
The Planning Coach will work in close collaboration with the Key Expert and play a responsible role in
· The preparation of the Migration Master Plans of selected municipalities in Çukurova Region (up to 6 municipalities). The work will include
- Following-up the establishment of planning teams within the pilot municipalities,
- Contributing the development of Master Plan methodology,
- Supporting the trainings for Master Planning,
- Facilitating the development of the Migration Master Plans of selected municipalities in Çukurova Region and providing planning coaching during the process,
- Following-up the gender mainstreaming of MMP,
- Following-up the integration of proposals of MMP into municipal strategic plans,
· Supporting and advocating the establishment of Migration Departments within municipalities,
· Supporting the establishment of a Migration Policy Centre at Çukurova Union of Municipalities,
· Contributing to delivery of trainings for municipal staff on integration strategies, gender mainstreaming, coordination between public sector stakeholders, project development and funding mechanisms,
· Assisting municipalities in membership in international networks,
· Supporting municipalities in inclusive services production and delivery,
· Contributing the inclusiveness in citizen’s assemblies,
- Awareness raising on social inclusiveness with Union and Platform of citizens assembles,
- Promoting inter-communal and intercultural dialogue through Working Groups of Syrians in Citizens' Assemblies,
· Closely liaising with Çukurova Union of Municipalities, pilot municipalities and other local stakeholders to follow-up project activities,
· Ensuring timely implementation and synchronisation of all regional/local project activities,
· Supporting logistical arrangements for all regional/local meetings, training programs and workshops, including travel, accommodation and training facilities in collaboration with the Key Expert, Project Assistant and Çukurova Union of Municipalities,
· Assisting the short-term thematic experts and trainers,
· Establishing and maintaining good communication between all parties,
· Carrying out other duties as appropriate and necessary given by the Project Manager and the Key Expert,
· Informing the Project Manager and the Key Expert about the progress in project implementation via short briefing notes.
Profile and qualifications
The Planning Coach in Migration Master Planning should be a Turkish national with the following background:
· Master’s degree or equivalent in urban and regional planning, public administration or a related field,
· At least 5 years of experience in social development projects led by international organizations and/or internationally or EU funded technical assistance projects,
· At least 5 years of relevant professional experience on project/programme management,
· At least 5 years work experience on local authorities and/or local governance processes,
· Minimum 2 years of specific working experience on migration master planning,
· Proven experience in capacity building of central/local public institutions in the fields of strategic planning and development of migration policies,
· Proven experience of leading and managing teams,
· Good communication skills,
· Strong verbal and written command of Turkish and English.
Aspects considered a strong merit for the position include:
· Experience working in subject areas such as municipal service delivery, strategic planning, local economic development, gender, social stability issues, community mobilization, citizen participation,
· Experience working with Turkish municipal unions, municipalities and citizens assemblies.
The assignment is expected to start in November 2018.
How to apply
Interested applicants should submit their up-to-date CV and a cover letter describing the applicant’s suitability for the position to email@example.com no later than 31 October 2018 with ref: RPC-CMU–RESLOG TURKEY.
Any questions about the position should be sent via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Unsuccessful applicants will be advised by email once a final decision on the recruitment has been made.
SKL International is an affiliate of the Swedish Association of Local Authorities and Regions (SALAR), an organisation that represents the municipalities and regions of Sweden. SKL International manages international development projects in the areas of local governance and local democracy, decentralisation, and local service delivery. Our work is mostly financed by the Swedish government as part of its international development cooperation.More info is on our website at www.sklinternational.se.