Danish Refugee Council, one of the world’s leading humanitarian NGOs, is currently looking for a highly qualified Program Support Coordinator- Partnership and Capacity Building
About the Job
The Partnership Coordinator has the overall responsibility to lead DRC partnerships activities and strategy across Turkey. This includes assessing and strategically positioning DRC with new and existing civil society and government partners, facilitating capacity development support to partners, and further developing DRC Turkey partnership management toolkit. This role will lead on the partnership strategy review and implementation, develop needed tools and frameworks, support with adapting internal systems and procedures to accommodate partner programming modality and develop the capacity of relevant DRC staff on partnership management.
DRC Turkey's programme strategy aims to strengthen the protective environment and enhance livelihood opportunities for protracted-displacement affected and migrant populations in Turkey. This will increasingly happen through partnerships with Turkish government and civil society actors.
The role of the partnership coordinator is to further develop existing/new partnerships with national civil society organisations in Turkey as implementing partners and as agents of positive change. Furthermore, the partnership coordinator will spearhead the development of modalities for DRC partnerships with government institutions, lead the process of building partners’ capacities and contribute significantly to the development and roll out of DRC Turkey’s partnership strategy.
This role has a country focus and ensures compliance to DRC procedures and guidelines within the country. The role contributes to the development of country strategies, which are translated into action plans and day-to-day tasks. The role provides support and/or technical guidance to country operations while overseeing country activities.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Partnership and Capacity Building Coordinator (PC) is responsible for strategically positing DRC to support partnerships with national partners across Turkey. The PC has the overall responsibility to review, develop and finalize the tools and the process flow for partnership management at DRC. The PC will then train DRC designated staff on the tools and process so that they can roll them out in the field.
Partnership Strategy and Processes Development
- Collaborate with relevant internal and external technical experts on partnership as a cross cutting sector
- Ensure all DRC departments are aware of their responsibilities towards the individual partners.
- Conduct a review of existing policies and processes and suggest changes and additions as needed;
- Based on existing DRC global tools maintain and further develop DRC Turkey’s partnership toolbox;
- Liaise with and share tools and experiences with DRC’s Global Specialist partnerships.
- Review existing and develop missing partnership management tools (Mapping, organizational and technical assessments, capacity building and work plans, reporting templates, Monitoring and Evaluation Framework) in coordination with DRC’s sector coordinators and operational support managers;
- Deliver a training on the developed tools to the relevant DRC staff
- Review, update and roll out DRC’s partnership strategy. Develop an action plan to operationalize the strategy.
Partners Mapping and Capacity Assessment
- Explore new partnership opportunities and identify potential partners in close collaboration with the Head of Programmes, Area and Sector Coordinators;
- Based on DRC partnership procedures, lead the mapping process to initiate the partner selection procedure for new partners, work closely with the programs technical leads and field teams to identify new active local organizations, conduct the vetting process, and cascade the capacity building need assessment results with the selection committee, to achieve a transparent selection process, efficient and compliant with Global DRC procedures.
- Lead and manage the technical and operational capacity assessments of partner organizations. Verify the supporting documents required for each section, and share the final findings with the concerned departments (programmes, procurement, finance, HR).
- Lead the assessments evaluation process and coordinate the vetting committee meetings in close collaboration with the HoP and Sector Technical Leads
- Lead and document discussions with potential partners in everything related to the selection process including mapping, capacity assessment and selection. Maintain active partnership database and periodically update the partner mapping database
Capacity Building Plans
- Coordinate all capacity development support provided to partners, in collaboration with relevant DRC staff and external consultants where needed;
- In coordination with the partner and DRC program and operation departments, develop technical and operational capacity building plans for the partners based on the capacity assessment result
- Ensure capacity building plans are tailored, targeted and responsive to the organizational needs and priorities and aligned with DRC partnership strategy
- Monitor and supervise the quality of the CB activities provided to each partner, collect feedback to improve DRC’s capacity development approach, and put in place mechanisms to track change in organizational capacities. (this include pre-post –tests analysis, attendance records, participants’ feedback, facilitator report)
- Work closely with partners and relevant DRC departments for timely implementation of the capacity building plan including coordination of training, re-assessments and continuous technical support.
- Develop and update the master capacity building plan for the Turkey country program.
- Explore new learning opportunities for DRC staffs and partners.
Sub-grantees Agreement Process
- In close coordination with partner and DRC program and support departments, lead the preparation and facilitate the signature of the sub grantee agreement (SGA) documents.
- Lead the presentation and explanation of all legal requirement of the SGA and to actively collect partner’s feedback and concerns on the SGA.
- Work closely with partners and focal points in developing, monitoring and updating the internal Project Management Tool (PMT). And assess the proposed project narrative from partners.
- Identify specific risk factors associated with the sub-grant, and the identification and recommendation of appropriate measures to mitigate and manage those risks, through working with other departments and the Head of Prgram as necessary.
- In coordination with the partner and all relevant departments, develop a budget forecast aligned with program requirements and develop budget installments in a way that fits with partner financial management capacity.
- Ensure proactive coordination with the partners and program department to identify any deviation or breach in the agreement throughout the implementation and recommend appropriate action required for agreement amendment or termination. Prepare and coordinate kickoff meetings for each grant with the corresponding partners.
Reporting, Grants and Representation
- Manage DRC partnership portfolio in the country.
- Coordinate follow up with partners to ensure that all financial and programmatic reporting requirements agreed in the SGA are done in a timely manner and as per DRC requirements.
- Support partners’ focal points, DRC grants team and Finance department in the verification and validation process of partner’s financial and programmatic reports.
- Facilitate the provision of technical support to partners in the preparation of Financial and programmatic reports.
- Facilitate the active participation of partners in project design, context analysis, and other relevant assessments with DRC in coordination with the Head of Program, represent DRC before relevant donor’s and partners.
- Remain abreast of ongoing trends in Turkey and in the region as related to protection and livelihoods programming, and provide regular updates on these trends and how they affect programming;
Monitoring & Evaluation
- In coordination with DRC MEAL department and technical sectors coordinators regularly follow up on partners’ achievements of targets according to DRC and donors’ requirements.
- To facilitate the provisioning of M&E support to partners as part of the capacity building plan or on ad-hoc basis when required
- Ensure that the overall partnership process is compliant with DRC accountability principles.
- Supervise DRC’s partner’s accountability system and provide feedback on the required aspects of each partnership.
- Conduct and analyze partners’ satisfaction surveys and provide final internal report to the Partnership Specialist and AM at the end of each grant.
- Represent DRC at relevant donor and inter-agency coordination meetings where required at national and field level;
- Contribute to country strategy planning.
As Coordinator the post-holder is responsible for the following:
• Responsible for coordinating strategy and operations within a specific discipline in a region or country
• Usually has technical line responsibilities within a given discipline, for both strategy and operations
• Provides expert advice and support to set strategy and assure operational quality and compliance
To be successful in this role, you must have Master's degree in political science, international development, economics or other relevant field.
Moreover, we also expect the following:
- At least 5 years of relevant professional NGO experience in international setting
- At least 3 years of proven experience in capacity building or partnership portfolio management
- Understanding of best practices and strategies in partnership programming in various sectors (protection, livelihoods).
- Proven experience in stakeholder management and adequate understanding of the Turkey context.
- Experience in training facilitation and inputting to training contents.
- Excellent interpersonal and problem-solving skills, representation, negotiation, and diplomacy skills.
- Comfortable in a multicultural environment, flexible and able to handle pressure well.
- Adequate grant management (program and budget) skills
- Ability to organize and facilitate capacity-building initiatives, including trainings for colleagues and partners
- Familiarity with partnership process, and adequate knowledge on legal and financial risks associated with partnership modality
- Experience in implementing projects through local partners and providing direct technical support to local organizations
- Strong written and oral communication skills, effective in representation and liaison with external parties.
- Adequate computer literacy (including Excel)
- Full professional proficiency in English
- Knowledge of Turkish and/or Arabic is an advantage
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: Upholding and promoting the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment.
Contract length: 12 Months
Employment Band: G - Non-manager
Designation of Duty Station: Hatay Country Office
Start date: 23.09.2019
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment.
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Closing date for applications: 08.09.2019
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo.