Minimum age: 22 years old. Applicants must be nationals of or legal residents in the country of assignment.
Duration: Until 31 December 2020
Description of task
Under the direct supervision of the Manager, Regional Office for Euripe and CIS, the national UN Volunteer will support the Online Volunteering service administration and promotion to relevant organizations in the allocated portfolio (with the focus on Europe and Commonwealth of Independent States) assist users with regular day-to-day Online Volunteering activities in English language and French or Spanish as well as support outreach and marketing activities to help grow the UNV Online Volunteering service. Programme Assistant for Online Volunteering Service Administration will also ensure twinning arrangement for a similar function in charge of other geographical portfolio.
S/he will undertake the following responsabilities and tasks:
OV service administration includes:
- screening of OV service users and registering eligible partner organizations
- reviewing and posting of OV opportunities
- developing standard OV opportunity descriptions
- monitoring of collaboration between online volunteers and partners
- responding to user and partner queries and guiding users on technical issues
- providing feedback on usability and suggestions for technical improvements, reporting bugs and errors in the system
- supporting testing of technical enhancements in the system
- supporting content production and updates for the online volunteer platform, including translations
- promoting OV services in line with regional and corporate mobilization approaches.
a. Provide support to the users of UNV’s Online Volunteering service focusing on achieving the following results:
- Respond to general queries in English and French or Spanish language including updating of standard messages;
- Screen organizations’ applications from a given portfolio of countries submitted in two languages, ensuring required information is complete, assessing compliance with established criteria, e.g. adherence to UN policies, accreditation with ECOSOC, verifying applicant organizations’ goals and activities through Internet research, and getting timely feedback from field teams, other
- Assist with organization and volunteer feedback monitoring and take action as and when relevant;
- Screen online volunteering opportunities submitted in English and French or Spanish languages by organizations, ensuring clear task descriptions, context and expected development impact;
- Guide users on other website-related issues and problem solving;
- Actively participate in developing / regining business requirement for continuous systems optimization (from the end -user and service administrator perspective).
b. Support the daily promotion of the Online Volunteering service and focusing on:
- Support promotion online volunteering by contributing to networking efforts and building relationships with relevant organizations, organizing information meetings and workshops for target organizations and providing relevant information and assistance;
- Assist with planning and organizing series of on-site and online public events on promoting volunteer modalities of UNV among UN Agencies, NGOs, UN Volunteers and other target groups, including in close coordination with UN System Affairs and New York Office staff;
c. Support the development of new content for the website and other communication tools including:
- Support Communication team to collect information, draft stories and other relevant materials in two languages for website or social media posting and knowledge sharing.
- Edit and translate documents related to user journey guidance and other online volunteering content from local languages into French/or Spanish.
d. Supports Knoweldge management
- Supports regional manager and UNV NYO in preparing webinars and produces drafts of knowledge products
- Any other related tasks as may be required or assigned by the supervisor.
Furthermore, UN Volunteers are encouraged to integrate the UN Volunteers programme mandate within their assignment and promote voluntary action through engagement with communities in the course of their work. As such, UN Volunteers should dedicate a part of their working time to some of the following suggested activities:
- Strengthen their knowledge and understanding of the concept of volunteerism by reading relevant UNV and external publications and take active part in UNV activities (for instance in events that mark International Volunteer Day);
- Be acquainted with and build on traditional and/or local forms of volunteerism in the host country;
- Provide annual and end of assignment self- reports on UN Volunteer actions, results and opportunities.
- Contribute articles/write-ups on field experiences and submit them for UNV publications/websites, newsletters, press releases, etc.;
- Assist with the UNV Buddy Programme for newly-arrived UN Volunteers;
- Promote or advise local groups in the use of online volunteering, or encourage relevant local individuals and organizations to use the UNV Online Volunteering service whenever technically possible.
Required degree level: Bachelor degree or equivalent
Education - Additional Comments:
- Advanced higher degree (Master’s or equivalent) in Social Sciences, Communication, Development Studies or Business Administration, or a related area.
- A first-level university degree (Bachelor’s or equivalent) in combination with relevant training and/or professional experience may be accepted in lieu of an advanced university degree;
Required experience: 24 Months
- At least 2 years of relevant experience including online collaboration, communication, and/or project management;
- Relevant experience in marketing is strongly desired
- Knowledge of work of UN entities is an advantage
- Knowledge of UN agencies and civil society organizations Europe and CIS is highly desirable.
- Experience in volunteer management is a strong advantage
- Knowledge of volunteer management in a developing country context is a strong advantage.
- Experience working in international organizations is an asset
- Previous experience as a volunteer and/or experience of another culture, (i.e. studies, volunteer work, internship) would be highly regarded;
- Excellent oral and written skills in English and French
- Excellent drafting, formulation, reporting skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; culturally and socially sensitive; ability to work inclusively and collaboratively with a range of partners, including grassroots community members, religious and youth organizations, and authorities at different levels; familiarity with tools and approaches of communications for development;
- Ability to work and adapt professionally and effectively in a challenging environment; ability to work effectively in a multicultural team of international and national personnel;
- Solid overall computer literacy, including proficiency in various MS Office applications (Excel, Word, etc.) and email/internet; familiarity with database management; and office technology equipment;
- Self-motivated, ability to work with minimum supervision; ability to work with tight deadlines
- Basic website management skills is an asset
- Have affinity with or interest in volunteerism as a mechanism for durable development, and the UN System.
- English(Mandatory), Level - Fluent
- French(Mandatory), Level - Working Knowledge
- Spanish(Optional), Level - Working Knowledge
Area of expertise: Marketing and advertising, Volunteer programmes and volunteer management, Other communications related experience
Area of expertise details:
- Relevant experience in marketing is strongly desired
Driving license: No
Adaptability and Flexibility, Commitment and Motivation, Commitment to Continuous Learning, Communication, Integrity, Planning and Organizing, Professionalism, Working in Teams
* Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
First register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup.
Important: After creating your account, complete all sections of your profile and submit it. Then go to ‘My Page’ at
https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink. Lastly, select the special call to which you would like to apply.
* Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
First update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile.
Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call to
which you would like to apply.
This is a national UN Volunteer assignment, therefore only nationals of Turkey and legal residents with a residency
permit, the status of refugee or with the status of being stateless are eligible to apply.
Application deadline 2nd. August 2020.