|Vacancy Notice Number:||VN#TR/2018/233|
|Position Title:||Programme Support Assistant|
|Duty Station:||Ankara – Turkey|
|Classification:||6 months Special Short Term Graded Contract (G5) – with possible extension|
|Deadline of Applications:||11 January 2019|
|Eligibility:||Internal and External Candidates|
IOM opened its first offices in Turkey in 1991 and is now one of the largest globally with offices 700 staff in 15 different locations across the country, with the main office in Ankara, and sub-offices in Istanbul and Gaziantep. IOM Turkey manages a portfolio of over 50 projects in the areas of migration management, emergency response, community stabilization, and resettlement. To effectively manage a large and complex programme portfolio, IOM Turkey has established a centralized Project Development & Reporting Unit based in Ankara. IOM Turkey is therefore seeking an incumbent to support project development and reporting efforts, particularly in the scope of migration management. This portfolio includes projects within the scope of assisted voluntary return, assistance for vulnerable migrants, integrated border management, labour migration, integration, and counter migrant smuggling, and migration presence monitoring.
Under the overall supervision of the Project Development Officer, and the direct supervision of the Programme Support Officer, the successful candidate will support the Project Development & Reporting Unit by facilitating procedures related to the development, review and submission of concept notes, project proposals and donor reports. The working language of IOM Turkey is English, it is expected that the incumbent has an excellent command of writing and editing documents in English.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Assist in drafting reports, concept notes and proposals for donors and the Country Office (CO) in English. This includes drafting cover letters.
2. Proofread and edit internal proposals and reports in English
3. Translate internal and external informal documents from Turkish to English and vice versa.
4. Conduct research to strengthen proposals and concept notes.
5. Maintain a thorough understanding of IOM Turkey-implemented programs, projects and activities, general and specific reporting requirements, and relevant information management and reporting mechanisms.
6. Assist in preparing contracts and support follow up on the administrative, financial and management requirements of project development.
7. Organize and archive documents and communications related to projects, reports, conferences, and other important matters.
8. Assist in collating and implementing the Project Development/Reporting Unit Work Plan including updating project-related data in IOM’s portals and internal reporting matrices.
9. Keep accurate and pertinent records of all correspondence, project development and reporting files, and other Project Development and Reporting-related information.
10. Support and assist in liaison with relevant Turkish government authorities, United Nations agencies, non-governmental organizations, and other stakeholders.
11. Attend internal meetings, external partner meetings, and/or thematic seminars and conferences and take notes when required.
12. Undertake duty travel within Turkey as required.
13. Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
• University degree in English, Translation and Interpretation (English), Politics, International Relations or a related field from an accredited academic institution, with two years of relevant professional experience; or
• Completed High school degree from an accredited academic institution, with four years of relevant professional experience;
• Excellent command of English;
• Proven experience in working, editing and writing documents/reports in English;
• Experience in, technical writing and editing, preferably in the international development/humanitarian sector; working knowledge of reporting and project development an asset
• Proven strong organizational skills and practical experience of how to multi-task, prioritize and work independently.
• Fluency in Turkish & English is required.
• Submission of proof of English certification equivalent to C2 required (expired IELTS etc. accepted)
• Accepts and gives constructive criticism
• Follows all relevant procedures, processes, and policies
• Meets deadline, cost, and quality requirements for outputs
• Monitors own work to correct errors
• Takes responsibility for meeting commitments and for any shortcomings
• Identifies the immediate and peripheral clients of own work
• Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with clients
• Identifies and monitors changes in the needs of clients, including donors, governments, and project beneficiaries
• Contributes to colleagues' learning
• Demonstrates interest in improving relevant skills
• Demonstrates interest in acquiring skills relevant to other functional areas
• Keeps abreast of developments in own professional area
• Actively shares relevant information
• Clearly communicates, and listens to feedback on, changing priorities and
• Writes clearly and effectively, adapting wording and style to the intended
• Listens effectively and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the Audience
Creativity and Initiative
• Proactively develops new ways to resolve problems
Leadership and Negotiation
• Convinces others to share resources
• Presents goals as shared interests
• Provides constructive feedback to colleagues
• Provides fair, accurate, timely, and constructive staff evaluations
• Uses staff evaluations appropriately in recruitment and other relevant HR Procedures
Planning and Organizing
• Sets clear and achievable goals consistent with agreed priorities for self
• and others
• Identifies priority activities and assignments for self and others
• Organizes and documents work to allow for planned and unplanned
• Identifies risks and makes contingency plans
• Masters subject matter related to responsibilities
• Identifies issues, opportunities, and risks central to responsibilities
• Incorporates gender-related needs, perspectives, and concerns, and
• promotes equal gender participation
• Persistent, calm, and polite in the face of challenges and stress
• Treats all colleagues with respect and dignity
• Works effectively with people from different cultures by adapting to
• relevant cultural contexts
• Knowledgeable about and promotes IOM core mandate and migration
• Actively contributes to an effective, collegial, and agreeable team
• Contributes to, and follows team objectives
• Gives credit where credit is due
• Seeks input and feedback from others
• Delegates tasks and responsibilities as appropriate
• Actively supports and implements final group decisions
• Takes joint responsibility for team's work
• Learns about developments in available technology
• Proactively identifies and advocates for cost-efficient technology solutions
• Understands applicability and limitation of technology and seeks to apply
• it to appropriate work
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
Please be advised that this is a local position and as such only applications from candidates with a valid residence / working permit residing in Turkey will be considered.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application including the most recent CV with a cover letter in English with contact details (name, position, phone and e-mail details) of three references by indicating name of the position applied with its VN number and the city applied for in the subject line of the e-mail to email@example.com or to IOM Birlik Mahallesi Sehit Kurbani Akboga Sok. No:24 06610, Çankaya, Ankara Turkey by the end of 11 January 2019.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
With 165 member states, a further 8 states holding observer status and offices in over 100 countries, IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM works to help ensure the orderly and humane management of migration, to promote international cooperation on migration issues, to assist in the search for practical solutions to migration problems and to provide humanitarian assistance to migrants in need, including refugees and internally displaced people.
The IOM Constitution recognizes the link between migration and economic, social and cultural development, as well as to the right of freedom of movement.
- On-Call Trainer/Interpreter
- Project Assistant
- National Programme Officer (Immigration and Border Management (IBM))-re-advertised
- National Programme Officer (Immigration and Border Management (IBM))
- Senior Data Quality Control Assistant
- Data Processing Assistant
- Senior MEAL Assistant
- Senior Project Data Assistant (M and E)
- Warehouse Assistant
- HR Assistant (re-advertised)