Vacancy Notice Number:
Programme Support Assistant
Special Short Term Graded Contract-with possible extension (G5)
Deadline of Applications:
26 November 2019
Number of People to be hired
Internal and External Candidates
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM opened its first offices in Turkey in 1991 and is now one of the largest globally with offices 700 staff in 15 different locations across the country, with the main office in Ankara, and sub-offices in Istanbul and Gaziantep. IOM Turkey manages a portfolio of over 50 projects in the areas of migration management, emergency response, community stabilization, and resettlement. To effectively manage a large and complex programme portfolio, IOM Turkey has established a centralized Project Development & Reporting Unit with staff based in Ankara and Gaziantep. IOM Turkey is therefore seeking an incumbent to support project development and reporting efforts in Gaziantep, particularly in the scope of refugee response and cross-border programming.
Under the overall supervision of the Project Development Officer in Ankara, administrative supervision of the Head of Office (ESEM region)and the direct supervision of the Project Development-Reporting Officer East-Southeast-Mediterranean (ESEM) ,, the successful candidate will support the Project Development & Reporting Unit by facilitating procedures related to the development, review and submission of concept notes, project proposals and donor reports in the ESEM Office based in Gaziantep, Turkey.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintain a thorough understanding of IOM Turkey-implemented programs, projects and activities, general and specific reporting requirements, and relevant information management and reporting mechanisms.
- Assist in drafting reports, concept notes and proposals for donors and the Country Office (CO). This includes drafting cover letters, situation reports, newsletters, etc.
- Assist the unit in project development and reporting tasks to be undertaken on the Project Information and Management Application (PRIMA) system.
- Conduct research to strengthen proposals and concept notes as well as other institutional documents.
- Assist in preparing contracts and support follow up on the administrative, financial and management requirements of project development. This includes assisting the unit when preparing internal and external trainings and workshops.
- Organize and archive documents and communications related to projects, reports, conferences, and other important matters.
- Assist in collating and implementing the Project Development/Reporting Unit Work Plan including updating project-related data in IOM’s portals (IOM Turkey, MAC Portal, DOE WING) and internal reporting matrices
- Keep accurate and pertinent records of all correspondence, project development and reporting files, and other Project Development and Reporting-related information.
- Support and assist in liaison with relevant Turkish government authorities, United Nations agencies, non-governmental organizations, and other stakeholders.
- Attend internal meetings, external partner meetings, and/or thematic seminars and conferences and take notes when required.
- Support with translation of project development and reporting documents from Turkish to English.
- Undertake duty travel within Turkey as required.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
- University degree in English, Journalism, Politics, International Relations or a related field from an accredited academic institution, with three years of relevant professional experience; or
- Completed High school degree from an accredited academic institution, with five years of relevant professional experience;
- Excellent command of English;
- Experience in project development, technical writing and editing, preferably in the international development/humanitarian sector;
- Proven strong background in editing and writing documents/reports in English;
- Proven strong organizational skills and practical experience of how to multi-task, prioritize and work independently.
- Fluency in English and Turkish is required.
- Knowledge of Arabic is an advantage.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity:
Shows respect and sensitivity towards gender, culture, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, political conviction and other differences.
• Encourages the inclusion of all team members and stakeholders while demonstrating the ability to work constructively with people with different backgrounds and orientations.
• Promotes the benefits of diversity; values diverse points of view and demonstrate this in daily work and decision making.
• Challenges prejudice, biases and intolerance in the workplace.
- Integrity and transparency:
Upholds and promotes the Standards of Conduct and Unified Staff Regulations and Rules.
• Delivers on commitments; manages the organization’s resources reliably and sustainably.
• Embraces and encourages transparency, balancing this with the need for discretion and confidentiality as appropriate.
• Maintains impartiality and takes prompt action in cases of unprofessional or unethical behaviour.
• Does not abuse one’s position and acts without consideration of personal gain. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns.
Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter and willingness to improve knowledge and skills.
• Seeks to raise professional standards in self and others through daily work and activities.
• Adapts quickly to change and is decisive and versatile in face of uncertainty.
• Shows self-control and persistence when faced with difficult problems and remains calm in stressful situations.
• Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1
- Teamwork: Establishes strong relationships with colleagues and partners; relates well to people at all levels.
• Is fully aware of the team purpose, respects and understands individual and collective responsibilities.
• Willingly puts in extra effort without being asked and adopts a "hands-on" approach whenever necessary to achieve team objectives.
• Coordinates own work with that of the team to meet agreed priorities and deadlines.
- Delivering Results:
•Produces quality results and provides quality services to clients.
• Meets goals and timelines for delivery of products or services.
• Manages time and resources efficiently, monitoring progress and making adjustments as necessary.
• Shows understanding of own role and responsibilities in relation to expected results.
- Managing and sharing knowledge:
•Keeps abreast of new developments in own field of competence and creates opportunities for knowledge management initiatives.
• Shares knowledge and learning willingly, and proactively seeks to learn from the experiences of others.
• Puts new learning into practice and draws on diverse sources of ideas and inspiration.
• Contributes to the identification of improvements to work processes and assists in implementing them.
•Accepts personal responsibility for quality and timeliness of work.
• Takes ownership of all responsibilities within own role and honours commitments to others and to the Organization.
• Operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules.
• Accepts and gives constructive criticism; acknowledges and corrects mistakes and apply lessons learned for improvement.
•Presents information using language and sequence of ideas that is easy for recipients to understand.
• Adapts communication to the recipient’s needs, asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication.
• Encourages others to share their views, using active listening to demonstrate openness and to build understanding of different perspectives.
• Listens carefully and genuinely to the views and positions of others; acts on received information.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
Please be advised that this is a local position and as such only applications from candidates with a valid residence / working permit residing in Turkey will be considered.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application including the most recent CV with a cover letter in English with contact details (name, position, phone and e-mail details) of three references by indicating name of the position applied with its VN number in the subject line of the e-mail by the end of 26 November 2019.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
With 165 member states, a further 8 states holding observer status and offices in over 100 countries, IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM works to help ensure the orderly and humane management of migration, to promote international cooperation on migration issues, to assist in the search for practical solutions to migration problems and to provide humanitarian assistance to migrants in need, including refugees and internally displaced people.
The IOM Constitution recognizes the link between migration and economic, social and cultural development, as well as to the right of freedom of movement.