Vacancy Notice Number:
Project Assistant (Agriculture)
6 months Special Short Term Graded Contract (G5)– with possible extension
Deadline of Applications:
26 October 2021
Number of People to be hired
Internal & External Candidates
The ongoing conflict in Syria has created surges of people crossing the borders into neighbouring countries. Host governments and humanitarian actors, including IOM, are providing relief assistance and protection to this extremely vulnerable population living with host families and, to a lesser extent, in camps. The large number of Syrian refugees is posing a growing challenge to reception communities’ capacity and host government’s response mechanisms.
As of September 2018, Turkey is hosting 3.6 million Syrian refugees. 200,000 reside in 16 camps (over 5.5% of the total) across South East Turkey and the remaining live outside of camps (around 93%). Of those living outside of camps, the majority are spread across the border provinces of Gaziantep, Hatay, Sanliurfa, Kilis, Mardin as well as in Istanbul, Izmir, Mersin, Bursa and Adana.
In 2014, the Government of Turkey adapted the Temporary Protection (TP) Regulation that extends protection and assistance to all Syrians in Turkey and provides refugees with rights and duties and the framework to access health care, education, and social assistance. As a member of the UN Humanitarian Country Team in Syria and all concerned neighbouring countries (Jordan, Lebanon, Iraq, and Turkey), the IOM Director General has activated the L3 Emergency SOPs to enhance organizational humanitarian assistance and priorities related to IDPs, refugees and returnees, and is actively participating in the emergency response within challenging humanitarian context.
IOM's strategy for Turkey as indicated in the 3RP (Regional Refugee and Resilience Plan) is three-pronged; 1. To provide basic needs assistance through multi-purpose cash, winterization, shelter repair and provision of transportation; 2. To ease the burden on national and local structures through the establishment of multi-service community centers offering protection and social stabilization for the refugees as well as increase access to education; and 3. To support the resilience of refugees and host communities through supporting livelihoods, community stabilisation and income generating activities.
Under the overall supervision of Recovery and Stablization officer and direct supervision of the Senior Project Assistant (Livelihood) and in close coordination with the Project Support Officer (RSU) in Gaziantep, the incumbent will be responsible and accountable to support in the preparation and implementation of expanding livelihoods interventions in the agricultural sector to help create income-generating opportunities for Syrian refugees as well as members of the host community across southeast Turkey.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Contribute to agricultural feasibility assessments, studies gaps in the selected locations of interventions.
- prepare and keep up to date the detailed workplans for the agricultural project activities and follow up on their implementation.
- Assist the livelihood team in test agricultural machinery and equipment to ensure adequate performance.
- Support livelihood team and provide technical specification of project activities during the implementation of community farming projects.
- Assist in the design and implementation of outreach and beneficiary mobilization activities targeting agribusinesses, cooperatives and farmers in Southeast Turkey
- Conduct awareness programs that provide farmers or farm cooperative members with information that can help them improve agricultural productivity.
- Prepare the technical specifications for the goods, works and services to be procured for the implementation of activities related to community farming and agricultural production projects implementation.
- Conduct literature reviews and develop databases on topics related to sustainable agricultural development, climate smart agriculture and migration response.
- Contribute and participate in registration of community farming beneficiaries and answering technical questions.
- Prepare and submit progress reports mentioning activities undertaken (e.g. training materials and documents, farm machinery and maintenance trainings conducted, list of beneficiaries in each location, problems encountered if any, etc.);
- Perform other duties as may be assigned.
- University degree in Agriculture, rural development, economics or a related field from an accredited academic institution, with three years of relevant professional experience; or
- Completed High school degree from an accredited academic institution, with five years of relevant professional experience.
- Excellent knowledge of agriculture, rural development, livelihood and small-scale economic assistance
- Demonstrable knowledge of international and national instruments and policies relevant to agriculture assistance
- Good analytical skills, ability to interpret information, identify and analyse problems;
- Good knowledge of assessments, researches methodologies and tools and data collection skills .
- Personal commitment to the mandate of the Organization, a quick learner, a strong drive for results, efficiency and flexibility;
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships with key counterparts, government authorities, international organizations and other partners;
- Ability to work effectively and harmoniously in a team and with colleagues from varied cultures, professional backgrounds and respect for diversity;
- Ability to prepare clear and concise reports.
- Good level of computer literacy; proficient in Microsoft Windows and MS Office applications including outlook
- Fluency in English and Turkish is required.
- Working knowledge of Arabic is advantageous.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity:
• Shows respect and sensitivity towards gender, culture, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, political conviction and other differences.
• Encourages the inclusion of all team members and stakeholders while demonstrating the ability to work constructively with people with different backgrounds and orientations.
• Promotes the benefits of diversity; values diverse points of view and demonstrate this in daily work and decision making.
• Challenges prejudice, biases and intolerance in the workplace.
- Integrity and transparency:
• Upholds and promotes the Standards of Conduct and Unified Staff Regulations and Rules.
• Delivers on commitments; manages the organization’s resources reliably and sustainably.
• Embraces and encourages transparency, balancing this with the need for discretion and confidentiality as appropriate.
• Maintains impartiality and takes prompt action in cases of unprofessional or unethical behaviour.
• Does not abuse one’s position and acts without consideration of personal gain. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns.
• Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter and willingness to improve knowledge and skills.
• Seeks to raise professional standards in self and others through daily work and activities.
• Adapts quickly to change and is decisive and versatile in face of uncertainty.
• Shows self-control and persistence when faced with difficult problems and remains calm in stressful situations.
• Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1
- Teamwork: Establishes strong relationships with colleagues and partners; relates well to people at all levels.
• Is fully aware of the team purpose, respects and understands individual and collective responsibilities.
• Willingly puts in extra effort without being asked and adopts a "hands-on" approach whenever necessary to achieve team objectives.
• Coordinates own work with that of the team to meet agreed priorities and deadlines.
- Delivering Results:
•Produces quality results and provides quality services to clients.
• Meets goals and timelines for delivery of products or services.
• Manages time and resources efficiently, monitoring progress and making adjustments as necessary.
• Shows understanding of own role and responsibilities in relation to expected results.
- Managing and sharing knowledge:
•Keeps abreast of new developments in own field of competence and creates opportunities for knowledge management initiatives.
• Shares knowledge and learning willingly, and proactively seeks to learn from the experiences of others.
• Puts new learning into practice and draws on diverse sources of ideas and inspiration.
• Contributes to the identification of improvements to work processes and assists in implementing them.
•Accepts personal responsibility for quality and timeliness of work.
• Takes ownership of all responsibilities within own role and honours commitments to others and to the Organization.
• Operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules.
• Accepts and gives constructive criticism; acknowledges and corrects mistakes and apply lessons learned for improvement.
•Presents information using language and sequence of ideas that is easy for recipients to understand.
• Adapts communication to the recipient’s needs, asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication.
• Encourages others to share their views, using active listening to demonstrate openness and to build understanding of different perspectives.
• Listens carefully and genuinely to the views and positions of others; acts on received information.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
Please be advised that this is a local position and as such only applications from candidates with a valid residence / working permit residing in Turkey will be considered.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application including the most recent CV with a cover letter in English with contact details (name, position, phone and e-mail details) of three references by indicating name of the position applied with its VN number in the subject line of the e-mail or to IOM Birlik Mahallesi Sehit Kurbani Akboga Sok. No:24 06610, Çankaya, Ankara Turkey by the end of 26 October 2021.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
With 165 member states, a further 8 states holding observer status and offices in over 100 countries, IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM works to help ensure the orderly and humane management of migration, to promote international cooperation on migration issues, to assist in the search for practical solutions to migration problems and to provide humanitarian assistance to migrants in need, including refugees and internally displaced people.
The IOM Constitution recognizes the link between migration and economic, social and cultural development, as well as to the right of freedom of movement.
- On-call Interpreter
- HR Intern
- Finance Assistant (Compliance)
- Field Security Assistant (SSAFE)
- Project Assistant (Livelihood)
- HR Assistant
- National Officer (Protection & Psychosocial)
- On Call Project Assistant (Outreach)
- Project Assistant (Outreach) - re-advertised
- Medical Escort (Physician) – On-call basis
- Medical Escort (Psychiatrist) – On-call basis
- Medical Escort (Nurse) - On-Call Basis
- Data Processing Assistant
- Data Processing Assistant
- Data Processing Assistant
- Data Processing Assistant
- Migration Health Nurse
- Migration Health Nurse
- Project Assistant (Special Education)
- Project Assistant (CBCM)
- Senior Project Assistant (MHPSS)- re-advertised
- Project Assistant (Social Services)
- Project Assistant (Community Support and Social Activities)
- Project Assistant (Education)
- Project Assistant (Vocational Guidance)
- Project Assistant (Health)
- Project Field Coordinator
- Logistics Assistant
- Project Assistant
- Senior Project Assistant (Psychosocial Support)- re-advertised
- National Project Officer (Food Security)
- National Project Officer (Early Recovery and Livelihood)
- Senior Project Assistant (Early Recovery and Livelihood)
- Senior Project Assistant (Food Security)