Vacancy Notice Number:
Project Assistant (AVRR) – re-advertised
Istanbul - Turkey
6 months Special Short Term Graded Contract (G5)– with possible extension
Deadline of Applications:
22 July 2021
Number of People to be hired
Internal & External Candidates
Under the overall supervision of the Migrant Protection and Assistance (MPA) Programme Manager and direct supervision of the Operations Officer in Istanbul, Turkey, the incumbent will be responsible for providing support to the AVRR activities of the mission.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide return counselling services and information provision on Assisted Voluntary Return and Reintegration (AVRR) to migrants in Turkey, including reintegration options in the country of origin.
- Organize and facilitate journeys home for foreign migrants and Turkish returnees in co-operation with relevant Turkish governmental authorities (Provincial Directorates of Ministry of Interior Directorate General of Migration Management), while giving special support to cases requiring it.
- As required, support Casework and/or Reintegration activities according to programme needs and as coordinated by the supervisor.
- When conducting casework, engage in the assessment and provision of direct assistance to migrants, coordinate with relevant IOM departments as well as IOM missions in countries of origin to organize provision of pre-departure, reception and other post arrival assistance to voluntary returnees, and develop reintegration plans for vulnerable migrants prior to their return in line with MPA criteria and SOPs, in coordination with the supervisor and any other relevant stakeholders.
- Coordinate with relevant Consulates/Embassies to obtain travel documents for cases needing them.
- Support the MPA Programme Manager, Operations Officer and National Officer in further project development in the areas of AVRR and assistance to vulnerable migrants in the Istanbul area as required.
- Assist in the liaison with relevant partners and ensure good information flow with them, in coordination with the Operations Officer and MPA PM.
- Assist in the organization of events such as capacity building workshops and roundtables, as required.
- Prepare input for statistical analysis, narrative reports and communication materials, as required.
- Perform general administrative duties.
- Undertake duty travel within Turkey as well as abroad as required.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Education & Experience:
- Having a bachelor’s degree in a relevant field (e.g.: sociology, political science, social work, gender studies, law, migration).
- Two years’ experience in a relevant field.
- Previous work experience in an international or governmental organization.
- Experience liaising with government authorities and other national/international institutions.
- Previous experience providing assistance to individuals and/or families.
- Experience working with migrants and/or refugees desirable.
- Experience working within a multi-cultural environment desirable.
- Fluency in English and Turkish is required.
- Working knowledge of Pashtu, Dari, Urdu, Farsi or Arabic is advantageous.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity:
- Shows respect and sensitivity towards gender, culture, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, political conviction and other differences.
- Encourages the inclusion of all team members and stakeholders while demonstrating the ability to work constructively with people with different backgrounds and orientations.
- Promotes the benefits of diversity; values diverse points of view and demonstrate this in daily work and decision making.
- Challenges prejudice, biases and intolerance in the workplace.
- Integrity and transparency:
- Upholds and promotes the Standards of Conduct and Unified Staff Regulations and Rules.
- Delivers on commitments; manages the organization’s resources reliably and sustainably.
- Embraces and encourages transparency, balancing this with the need for discretion and confidentiality as appropriate.
- Maintains impartiality and takes prompt action in cases of unprofessional or unethical behaviour.
- Does not abuse one’s position and acts without consideration of personal gain. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns.
- Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter and willingness to improve knowledge and skills.
- Seeks to raise professional standards in self and others through daily work and activities.
- Adapts quickly to change and is decisive and versatile in face of uncertainty.
- Shows self-control and persistence when faced with difficult problems and remains calm in stressful situations.
- Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1
- Teamwork: Establishes strong relationships with colleagues and partners; relates well to people at all levels.
- Is fully aware of the team purpose, respects and understands individual and collective responsibilities.
- Willingly puts in extra effort without being asked and adopts a "hands-on" approach whenever necessary to achieve team objectives.
- Coordinates own work with that of the team to meet agreed priorities and deadlines.
- Delivering Results:
- Produces quality results and provides quality services to clients.
- Meets goals and timelines for delivery of products or services.
- Manages time and resources efficiently, monitoring progress and making adjustments as necessary.
- Shows understanding of own role and responsibilities in relation to expected results.
- Managing and sharing knowledge:
- Keeps abreast of new developments in own field of competence and creates opportunities for knowledge management initiatives.
- Shares knowledge and learning willingly, and proactively seeks to learn from the experiences of others.
- Puts new learning into practice and draws on diverse sources of ideas and inspiration.
- Contributes to the identification of improvements to work processes and assists in implementing them.
- Accepts personal responsibility for quality and timeliness of work.
- Takes ownership of all responsibilities within own role and honours commitments to others and to the Organization.
- Operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules.
- Accepts and gives constructive criticism; acknowledges and corrects mistakes and apply lessons learned for improvement.
- Presents information using language and sequence of ideas that is easy for recipients to understand.
- Adapts communication to the recipient’s needs, asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication.
- Encourages others to share their views, using active listening to demonstrate openness and to build understanding of different perspectives.
- Listens carefully and genuinely to the views and positions of others; acts on received information.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
Please be advised that this is a local position and as such only applications from candidates with a valid residence / working permit residing in Turkey will be considered.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application including the most recent CV with a cover letter in English with contact details (name, position, phone and e-mail details) of three references by indicating name of the position applied with its VN number in the subject line of the e-mail or to IOM Birlik Mahallesi Sehit Kurbani Akboga Sok. No:24 06610, Çankaya, Ankara Turkey by the end of 22 July 2021.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
With 165 member states, a further 8 states holding observer status and offices in over 100 countries, IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM works to help ensure the orderly and humane management of migration, to promote international cooperation on migration issues, to assist in the search for practical solutions to migration problems and to provide humanitarian assistance to migrants in need, including refugees and internally displaced people.
The IOM Constitution recognizes the link between migration and economic, social and cultural development, as well as to the right of freedom of movement.