Vacancy Notice Number:
Project Assistant (AVRR)
Ankara – Türkiye
6 Months Special Short Term Graded Contract (G5)- with possible extension
Deadline of Applications:
29 November 2022
Number of People to be hired
Internal & External Candidates
Under the overall supervision of the Protection Programme Manager and the direct supervision of the National Programme Officer in Ankara, Turkey, the incumbent will be responsible for providing support to the AVRR activities of the mission.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide specific return and reintegration counseling services and extensive information on Assisted Voluntary Return and Reintegration (AVRR) to migrants in Turkey and in other countries who are returning to Turkey via AVRR.
- Organize and facilitate journeys home in co-operation with relevant Turkish governmental authorities (Provincial Directorates of Ministry of Interior Presidency of Migration Management), while giving special support to cases requiring it.
- Coordinate with IOM missions in sending countries to organize provision of reintegration assistance to migrants returning to Turkey.
- Coordinate with IOM missions in countries of origin to organize provision of reception and other post arrival assistance to voluntary returnees.
- Assist in the liaison with relevant partners and ensure good information flow with them.
- Assist in the organization of events such as capacity building workshops and roundtables, as required.
- Prepare input for statistical analysis, narrative reports and communication materials, as required.
- Research, analyze, compile and present information for public information activities, including for social media.
- Assist in performing administrative duties.
- Undertake duty travel within Turkey as well as abroad as required.
- Provide guidance and training to new/junior staff.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
- University degree in Social and/or political science, international relations or in a related field from an accredited academic institution, with three years of relevant professional experience; or;
- High school degree from an accredited academic institution, with five years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience in liaising with governmental authorities, national/international institutions, United Nations agencies and non-governmental organizations;
- Experience in working with migrants, refugees, internally displaced persons, victims of trafficking and other vulnerable groups; and,
- Prior work experience with international humanitarian organizations, non-government or government institutions/organization in a multi-cultural setting is an advantage.
- Willingness and ability to travel,
- Good familiarity with diplomatic environment
- Proven analytical, interpersonal and organizational skills
- Good level of computer literacy.
- Experience working in the region an advantage.
- Fluency in Turkish and English is required.
- Working knowledge of German, Pashto, Dari, and/or Urdu is advantageous.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity:
Shows respect and sensitivity towards gender, culture, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, political conviction and other differences.
- Integrity and transparency:
Upholds and promotes the Standards of Conduct and Unified Staff Regulations and Rules.
• Delivers on commitments; manages the organization’s resources reliably and sustainably.
• Embraces and encourages transparency, balancing this with the need for discretion and confidentiality as appropriate.
Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter and willingness to improve knowledge and skills.
• Shows self-control and persistence when faced with difficult problems and remains calm in stressful situations.
• Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1
- Teamwork: Establishes strong relationships with colleagues and partners; relates well to people at all levels.
• Is fully aware of the team purpose, respects and understands individual and collective responsibilities.
• Willingly puts in extra effort without being asked and adopts a "hands-on" approach whenever necessary to achieve team objectives.
• Coordinates own work with that of the team to meet agreed priorities and deadlines.
- Delivering Results:
• Produces quality results and provides quality services to clients.
• Meets goals and timelines for delivery of products or services.
• Shows understanding of own role and responsibilities in relation to expected results.
- Managing and sharing knowledge:
• Shares knowledge and learning willingly, and proactively seeks to learn from the experiences of others.
• Accepts personal responsibility for quality and timeliness of work.
• Operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules.
• Accepts and gives constructive criticism; acknowledges and corrects mistakes and apply lessons learned for improvement.
• Presents information using language and sequence of ideas that is easy for recipients to understand.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
Please be advised that this is a local position and as such only applications from candidates with a valid residence / working permit residing in Türkiye will be considered.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application including the most recent CV with a cover letter in English with contact details (name, position, phone and e-mail details) of three references by indicating name of the position applied with its VN number in the subject line of the e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or to IOM Birlik Mahallesi Sehit Kurbani Akboga Sok. No:24 06610, Çankaya, Ankara Türkiye by the end of 29 November 2022.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
With 165 member states, a further 8 states holding observer status and offices in over 100 countries, IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM works to help ensure the orderly and humane management of migration, to promote international cooperation on migration issues, to assist in the search for practical solutions to migration problems and to provide humanitarian assistance to migrants in need, including refugees and internally displaced people.
The IOM Constitution recognizes the link between migration and economic, social and cultural development, as well as to the right of freedom of movement.