Vacancy Notice Number:
Project Assistant (Case Management)
9 months Special Short-Term Graded Contract (G5) – with possible extension
Istanbul - Turkey
Deadline of Applications:
16 December 2020
Number of Vacant Positions:
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Under the overall and direct supervision of the Senior Project Assistant (Psychosocial Support) in Istanbul, and thematic supervision of the Senior Protection Assistant in Gaziantep, the incumbent will assist in the daily implementation of activities of the Emergency Case Management initiatives in Istanbul. These activities fall in line with the 3RP, specifically under IOM’s PRM funded program. S/he will assist in the implementation of case management and individual assistance project.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work closely with ECM Senior Protection Assistant, and ECM support staff, and Sultangazi Centre to follow up on referrals to the project and conduct relevant assessments deciding on the most appropriate response.
- Visit the cases when required, and provide information dissemination in line with the national rules and regulations.
- Daily use and monitoring of the case management referrals tracking and monitoring table, inputting new cases and updating information as required.
- Respond to the needs of referred cases, as per the criteria and guidelines of the case management fund, ensuring that the support is protection and gender sensitive and follows the 6 steps of Case Management.
- When required prepare and track Purchase Requests, Payment Request Forms and support with bid request preparation. Be in regular contact with service providers and vendors to ensure that referrals for assistance is provided.
- In close coordination with the Head of Office and Protection Officer ensure that project expenditures are in line with project objectives.
- Work closely with other IOM units on referrals of vulnerable individuals and households for assistance, making sure that referrals are in line with SOPs.
- Develop and maintain positive relations with external partners on case management and referral related matters and provide information about IOM’s protection and case management activities.
- Attend relevant sector working group meetings and other case management meetings at the local level and represent IOM when required.
- Support the Refugee Response Programme with other tasks when required and undertake visits to the field.
- Follow up extremely vulnerable individuals or households through identification and undertaking required assessments.
- Monitor, review and follow up cases which have been provided assistance.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- University degree in Political Science, International Relations, Sociology, Social Science or a related field from an accredited academic institution, with three years of relevant professional experience; or
- Completed High school degree from an accredited academic institution, with five years of relevant professional experience.
- Experiences in case management, protection, support activities in emergencies or field related activities.
- Fluency in English and Turkish is required.
- Working knowledge of Arabic is advantageous.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity:
Shows respect and sensitivity towards gender, culture, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, political conviction and other differences.
• Encourages the inclusion of all team members and stakeholders while demonstrating the ability to work constructively with people with different backgrounds and orientations.
• Promotes the benefits of diversity; values diverse points of view and demonstrate this in daily work and decision making.
• Challenges prejudice, biases and intolerance in the workplace.
- Integrity and transparency:
Upholds and promotes the Standards of Conduct and Unified Staff Regulations and Rules.
• Delivers on commitments; manages the organization’s resources reliably and sustainably.
• Embraces and encourages transparency, balancing this with the need for discretion and confidentiality as appropriate.
• Maintains impartiality and takes prompt action in cases of unprofessional or unethical behaviour.
• Does not abuse one’s position and acts without consideration of personal gain. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns.
Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter and willingness to improve knowledge and skills.
• Seeks to raise professional standards in self and others through daily work and activities.
• Adapts quickly to change and is decisive and versatile in face of uncertainty.
• Shows self-control and persistence when faced with difficult problems and remains calm in stressful situations.
• Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Fosters a sense of team spirit by developing a shared understanding, accountability and enthusiasm for the team’s work.
• Displays a high level of cultural awareness, sensitivity to different ways of working and leverages individual strengths in order to build a better team.
• Shares credit for team accomplishments and ensures that the contribution of others is recognized.
• Helps create a positive team spirit, putting aside personal considerations to help the team achieve its goals.
- Delivering results:
•Produces high-quality results and workable solutions that meet clients’ needs.
• Anticipates constraints, identifies solutions and takes responsibility for addressing critical situations.
• Monitors own and others’ work in a systematic and effective way, ensuring required resources and outputs.
• Aligns projects with Organization’s mission and objectives and demonstrates a good understanding of the impact of team’s and own work on external and internal counterparts.
- Managing and sharing knowledge:
•Disseminates and shares knowledge openly and actively contributes to knowledge/network communities for topics relevant to area of expertise.
• Encourages knowledge-sharing across units/departments and ensures that knowledge is captured, recorded and disseminated appropriately.
• Builds networks for the effective communication and exchange of knowledge and ideas and puts others into contact with various sources of knowledge.
• Contributes to an environment that is conducive to innovation and learning.
• Proactively seeks responsibility in delivering towards the goals of the Organization.
• Plans and organizes work with a clear and deliberate focus, ensuring commitments are easily identified and progress is widely communicated.
• Stands by the actions of team or department, publicly accepting ownership.
• Takes responsibility of own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable
•Speaks and writes clearly and effectively.
• Seeks to share information with others, with due respect for diversity and the confidentiality of specific sensitive information.
• Listens and seeks to understand without bias, and responds appropriately.
• Shares information and keeps others up to date; actively seeks others' views and ideas and respects their contribution.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
- Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
Please be advised that female candidates are highly encouraged and that this is a local position and as such only applications from candidates with a valid residence / working permit residing in Turkey will be considered.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application including the most recent CV with a cover letter in English with contact details (name, position, phone and e-mail details) of three references by indicating name of the position applied with its VN number in the subject line of the e-mail or to IOM Birlik Mahallesi Sehit Kurbani Akboga Sokak No:24 Cankaya, Ankara by the end of 16 December 2020.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
With 165 member states, a further 8 states holding observer status and offices in over 100 countries, IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM works to help ensure the orderly and humane management of migration, to promote international cooperation on migration issues, to assist in the search for practical solutions to migration problems and to provide humanitarian assistance to migrants in need, including refugees and internally displaced people.
The IOM Constitution recognizes the link between migration and economic, social and cultural development, as well as to the right of freedom of movement.
- Counselling Assistant
- Consultant (Forgery Detection and/or Risk Analysis)
- Consultant (Fablab Specialist)
- Consultant (Fablab)
- On Call Finance Assistant (Compliance)
- Project Assistant (Social Work) – re-advertised
- Communication Consultant/Expert
- Senior ICT Assistant (Network & Systems)
- Project Assistant (Protection and Legal)
- Project Assistant (Outreach) – re-advertised
- Project Assistant (Livelihood)
- Project Assistant (Livelihood)
- Senior Project Assistant (Livelihood)
- Consultant (Procurement Technical Advisor)
- National Project Officer (Legal)
- Project Assistant